STEM Outreach Director
Working Title STEM Outreach Director Department Ctr Integrative Nat Science & Math Full Time or Part Time? Full Time Position Number tbd Commitment to Inclusive Excellence
Northern Kentucky University embraces inclusiveness, equity, and global awareness in all dimensions of our work and seek excellence through diversity among our students, administrators, faculty, and staff. Application by members of diverse groups is encouraged.
We are an Equal Opportunity/Equal Access/Affirmative Action institution.
Purpose of Position
Northern Kentucky University’s ( NKU ) Center for Integrative Natural Science and Mathematics ( CINSAM ) seeks a person for the position of Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics ( STEM ) Outreach Director (OD). This OD will serve as an important representative of NKU in the community, designing and leading professional development for educators around the tri-state region and beyond. Successful candidates will be expected to demonstrate their work in confronting issues of equity in STEM education and present a vision for doing so in this position. They will need to be able to adapt to changing circumstances in the P-12 education landscape and the corresponding changes in educator needs. This is a twelve-month supervisory non-tenure track faculty position.
Applicants must submit a resume/CV, cover letter, postsecondary transcripts, contact information for three references, and a diversity statement that includes a vision for promoting equity, diversity and inclusion through teacher professional development as it applies to this position.
This job is open until filled, however, we will begin review of applications one week after the job posts.
• Model best practices in teaching for both in-service and pre-service teachers in Northern Kentucky elementary and middle school classrooms during the school year and in the summer
• Develop and deliver professional development to teachers in improving STEM teaching and learning in their classrooms and schools
• Offer direct STEM programming to elementary and/or middle grades students
• Work with university and school faculty to develop new lessons, programs and materials for disseminating best practices in STEM education
• Partner with researchers studying CINSAM’s professional development
• Develop and maintain relationships with school system and non-profit partners in CINSAM teacher professional development
• Facilitate CINSAM’s relationships with teachers and other educators in the community
• Lead a one-week summer camp annually
• Collaborate with College of Education on courses and/or programming for NKU education students
• Head up CINSAM’s Outreach team, including supervision of Outreach Specialist position and possibly a student assistant
• Manage the administrative side of professional development including coordination with participants (educators and organizations), budget prioritization, and allocating human & material resources
• Master’s degree in education or related field
• At least 5 years of experience teaching science at elementary or middle grades levels
• Record of offering effective STEM professional development to teachers at elementary and/or middle grades levels
• Experience working with pre-service teachers
• Demonstrated experience working effectively with diverse populations
• Knowledge of and experience with equity-promoting pedagogies
• Possession of Rank 1 or National Board Certification is a plus
Any candidate offered this position is required to go through a pre-employment criminal background check as mandated by state law.
Minimum Education Master's Degree Preferred Education Master's Degree
Requisition Number 2021F533 Job Open Date 04/13/2021 Job Close Date Open Until Filled Yes Quick Link https://jobs.nku.edu/postings/10147 Supplemental Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- Cover Letter/Letter of Application
- Diversity Statement