Tutor and Mentor Coordinator* - PT
Posting Number S01382 Position Title Tutor and Mentor Coordinator* - PT Internal Position Title Tutor and Mentor Coordinator* Department Educational Talent Srch Grants Position Type Staff Job Family Specialist Job Summary
The College of Lake County is looking to add a Tutor and Mentor Coordinator to their team. This position will help to improve student achievement by recruiting, training, and placing qualified tutor/mentors into the schools. The tutoring/mentoring student contact will be virtual, one-on-one or in small groups (before and after school and/or lunch).
The primary responsibilities include the following: Coordinating and training individuals and groups on coaching/tutoring/mentoring, as it relates to educational, career, social, emotional, personal development issues at high school extension sites; Conduct workshops with topics such as high school and college transition/success; Facilitate workshops on STEM, Computer Science, and other science experiences; Academic advising; Self-empowerment, career development, collaborate with the school site counseling office to deliver cohesive services; assist students with locating tutoring/mentoring resources and coordinate summer programming; maintain liaison contacts within the school site(s) and within CLC ; utilize the TRiO ETS BLUMEN Database student information systems; participate in professional development activities; and coach/mentor diverse student populations. The Tutor and Mentor coordinator will serve to assist Specialists, as needed.
Regular Part-Time Board established positions earn Vacation and Sick Leave and Tuition waiver for CLC classes and Tuition Reimbursement for advanced degrees. In addition, employees are eligible to participate in the State University Retirement System ( SURS )
The College of Lake County ( CLC ) is a comprehensive community college located in northeastern Illinois committed to being an innovative educational institution providing life-changing paths for our students by offering exceptional learning experiences.
The college is widely recognized for student success, business and community partnerships and for the achievements of our faculty, staff and alumni. Long-known as an employer of choice in Lake County, CLC was ranked #15 on the Forbes list of Top 100 Employers in the State of Illinois for 2019.
1. Bachelor’s degree or higher in Education, Psychology, Sociology, Human services, Communications, Science, Technology, Engineering, Math, Computer Science, and/or other related field.
2. Excellent oral/written communication and interpersonal skills.
3. Solid organizational and time management skills, as shown by previous related experience or training.
4. Previous work-related experience.
5. Experience providing academic, career and personal coaching/counseling to secondary and/or post-secondary students.
6. Knowledge of: Techniques and methods of student supervision and classroom management, pertinent rules, policies, procedures, and regulations affecting program.
7. Maintain highest level of confidentiality in all matters relating to students.
8. Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
9. Proven ability to work effectively and constructively with persons of diverse cultures, language groups, and abilities; demonstrate sensitivity to and ability to work with the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural and ethnic backgrounds of community college students, faculty, and staff, including those with disabilities; establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
1. Academic Tutoring and Mentoring experience.
2. Work experience with high school or college-preparation and/or tutoring & mentoring.
3. Experience working with diverse populations; Spanish-speaking a plus.
4. A valid driver’s license.
Posting Date 04/13/2021 Closing Date 04/27/2021 Expected Start Date 05/03/2021 Special Instructions Summary
*This is a grant funded position; continued employment in this position is based on external funding sources.
Pay Rate $18.59/hr Full-Time/Part-Time Part-Time Location Grayslake Total Hours per week 25.00 Work Schedule
Tuesday – Thursday 12:00pm-5:30pm
Friday – as needed
Employee schedule must be flexible and will be adjusted to meet program needs.
Software Testing Required Powerpoint Interview Process Requirements Presentation EEO Statement
The College of Lake County is an equal opportunity employer and has a strong commitment to diversity. In that spirit, it seeks a broad spectrum of candidates including minorities, women and people with disabilities. EOE /AA/M/F/D/V
Summary of Essential Functions
Student and Customer Service: 65%
1. Oversee and coordinate the recruitment and engagement of current TRiO students in tutoring
2. Academic Advising (language arts, math, and science)
3. STEM exploration
4. Conduct training to provide social, emotional, and personal development to support the students’ academic achievement
5. Connect students with CLC community and STEM enrichment opportunities
Project Leadership: 25%
1. Case Management of incoming students
2. Accurately compile, verify, and organize tutoring records
3. Responsible for assisting tutors with planning, promoting, organizing, securing locations, and hosting workshops
4. Foster partnerships in STEM with academic institutions, local businesses, and community groups
5. Collaborate with other departments to ensure a high quality and innovative activities and retention
Department Operations and Procedures: 10%
1. Participate in professional development activities
2. Management of database tools TRiO ETS Blumen entry
3. Work closely with site specialist and school administration to identify students’ needs and resources
4. Participate in on-campus experiences as needed
Posting Specific Questions - supplemental questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Do you have a Bachelor’s degree or higher in Education,
Psychology, Sociology, Human services, Communications, Science,
Technology, Engineering, Math, Computer Science, and/or other
- * Do you have previous work-related experience?
- * Do you have experience providing academic, career and
personal coaching/counseling to secondary and/or post-secondary
- * Do you have a valid driver's license?
- * Do you have academic tutoring and mentoring experience?
- * Are you bilingual in Spanish and English?
- Cover Letter
- Unofficial Transcript 1
- Unofficial Transcript 2
More searches like this
- Administrative Not specified Part Time jobs in Gages Lake
- Academic Affairs Not specified Part Time jobs in Gages Lake
- Other Academic Affairs Not specified Part Time jobs in Gages Lake
- Student Affairs Not specified Part Time jobs in Gages Lake
- Academic Advising & Academic Support Services Not specified Part Time jobs in Gages Lake