The Rhode Island School of Design Facilities department is actively seeking a Custodian to join their Custodial & Grounds team. Facilities supports RISD’s mission by maintaining a safe and sustainable campus through planning, construction services, building operations, careful management of resources, and respectful personal interaction with the entire RISD community.
Custodians perform a variety of duties pertaining to the cleanliness, sanitization, disinfection of high touch surfaces, and upkeep of administrative, academic, and residential areas as specified by the lead person or Custodial Supervisor.
As an employer, RISD offers a supportive, collegial and inclusive work environment and a competitive benefits package.
- Keep classrooms, lavatories, and hallways disinfected, clean and orderly.
- Sweep, mop, and polish floors, operate machinery to strip and wax floors, and operate vacuum cleaner to maintain rugs.
- Dust furniture, sills, etc.; assure that all dispensers (soap and paper) are filled; remove trash, recycling, and litter; replace light bulbs as needed, and move furniture and light equipment as required.
- As required, sweep and shovel steps and walks, and distribute sand and salt on steps and walkways in case of snow, as needed.
- Responsible for checking emergency lighting and fire extinguishers in assigned building(s) on a monthly basis.
- Perform related duties as required by supervisor including preparing areas for classes and special events.
- Ability to operate machines used in cleaning and special training in the use of cleaning products
- Strong customer service orientation
- Basic computer skills and/or the willingness to attend training and adapt to using required technology (ie: College supported enterprise systems such as Workday, etc.)
- Demonstrated ability and desire to work effectively with ethnically and culturally diverse communities
Valued but not required skills and experience:
- High School Diploma or equivalency preferred
- One year of related work experience desired
40 hours per week/12 months per year. Specific schedule will be discussed with candidates at time of interview.
Full-Time; Non-Exempt; Regular
Documents Needed to Apply:
Cover letter (optional)
Incomplete applications will not be considered. Please upload all required documents.
The successful candidate will be required to meet our pre-employment background screening requirements.
For certain positions, RISD is currently supporting remote work arrangements due to the pandemic. When work resumes in person, employees are expected to perform work on campus.
RISD recognizes diversity and inclusivity as fundamental to its learning community and integral to an art and design education. We welcome candidates whose experience has prepared them to contribute to our commitment to diversity and excellence. RISD is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetics, or any other protected characteristic as established by law.
For internal use only - Job Family:
Facilities - Custodial