Respiratory Therapy Program Director
The Respiratory Therapy Program Director is responsible for the Respiratory Therapy concentration for the Medical Science major. The incumbent leads the structure, organization, daily administration, review and evaluation, continued development, and general effectiveness of the Program. The Program Director is responsible for supervision of students and clinical instructor activities and maintains a schedule of regular visits to all clinical affiliates/education centers through partnership with UW Health.
Serving as one of Edgewood College’s representatives in the
affiliation agreement with University of Wisconsin Health (UW
Health), the position requires a high level of organizational and
communication skills for interaction with respiratory care
practitioners, nurses, physicians, faculty, administrators,
prospective students, and the general public.
Develops and plans academic curriculum
- Provides leadership and vision for the creation and implementation of a strategic plan for the Respiratory Care Program.
- Designs, implements, and administers all aspects of the educational program for students enrolled in the Respiratory Therapy Program.
- Formulates, implements, and administers all policy, procedure, and documentation for acquiring and maintaining accreditation in line with the affiliation agreement with UW Health and with the Commission on Accreditation for Respiratory Care (CoARC).
- Prepares, analyzes, and documents all qualitative and quantitative benchmarks as required for outcome assessments and annual reports.
- Maintains all educational records for the program in conformance with state and federal requirements.
- Conducts on-going assessments of educational programming, including reviewing and evaluating new teaching materials.
- Teaching duties as assigned.
- Evaluates effectiveness of teaching by reviewing graduate performance.
Monitors clinical laboratory exercises, grading and other faculty instruction
- Works closely with the UW Health Respiratory Care Education Specialists and Student Liaison to coordinate student clinical rotations and clinical exposure sufficient to facilitate achievement of program goals.
- Secures written agreements of relationships with clinical sites, and evaluates suitability for future clinical sites.
Develops and maintains relationships with various departments and parties associated with the affiliation
- Communicates with clinical instructors regarding continuing education activities.
- Responsible for updating policies and program bulletin as needed based on organizational policy and CoARC standards.
- Participates in advisory committee meetings.
- Works with the School of Nursing, Business, and Health Sciences Dean to maintain budget for Respiratory Therapy program and ensure that there are sufficient financial resources to develop and sustain the program.
- Interacts with community groups, local school districts and business and industry regarding their specific training needs.
Supervises students in the program
- Participates in recruitment of students for the respiratory therapy program.
- Oversees application process and participates in student selection including screening of applications, interviews, qualitative and quantitative analysis of applicants, and final decision making in the selection of students for enrollment.
- Counsels students on unsatisfactory performance or inability to meet the minimum requirements of the Program.
- Ensures students are well prepared for the NBRC Registered Respiratory Therapist exam.
Necessary Education or Work Experience:
- Master Degree in Respiratory Care, Health Care or Education-related field preferred
- Minimum of 4 years’ full-time clinical experience as a Registered Respiratory Therapist with at least two years’ in clinical respiratory care required
- Minimum of two years’ experience teaching in an accredited respiratory therapy care program either as an appointed faculty member or as a clinical preceptor.
- Registered Respiratory Therapist (RRT) required, with RRT-NRP and RRT-ACCS credentials strongly preferred
- Valid Wisconsin license as a Respiratory Care Practitioner licensing required
Required Knowledge and Skills:
- Ability to maintain and utilize specialized respiratory equipment and procedures such as ventilators, medical gases and therapeutic interventions.
- Ability to perform and instruct on a variety of daily tasks associated Respiratory Therapy
- Ability to assess student performance in the clinical setting.
- Ability to explain complex concepts involving anatomy, physiology and pathology.
- Ability to organize, coordinate, and integrate academic and clinical lab exercises.
- Ability to supervise and motivate students and Respiratory Therapy faculty.
- Ability to teach to a variety of learners and abilities
- Ability to evaluate all educational outcomes as stated by CoARC and to develop successful action plans to address any area that falls below specified thresholds.
- Ability to communicate with persons of all educational backgrounds.
- Active in professional activities at local, state, and/or national levels.
Edgewood College, an Equal Opportunity Employer, is committed to academic excellence through diversity in its faculty, staff, and students. Candidates must demonstrate multicultural competence — the awareness, knowledge, and skills needed to work with others who are culturally different from self in meaningful, relevant, and productive ways. Applicants from traditionally underrepresented populations including women and racial and ethnic minorities are especially encouraged to apply. The selected candidate must actively support the mission of the College by working with faculty, staff and students to share in our core values — truth, compassion, justice, partnership, and community.
To apply: Send a cover letter, resume, and references to:
Human Resources – RESD
1000 Edgewood College Drive
Madison, WI 53711
Equal Opportunity Employer
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Fitchburg
- Health & Medicine Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Fitchburg
- Other Health & Medicine Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Fitchburg
- Administrative Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Fitchburg
- Academic Affairs Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Fitchburg