Assistant or Associate Professor of Applied Computer Science - Media Arts
Woodbury University invites applications for a full-time Assistant or Associate Professor to teach in the Applied Computer Science - Media Arts program. The program is a hybrid of design, technology and arts focusing on emerging digital practices. The program uses computer science as a tool to innovate within the fields of design and media arts. The core of the program is focused on expanding access to programming and technology outside the traditional bounds of computer science to include the arts and the humanities. We seek faculty whose scholarship, creative work and research addresses the lives, experiences, and cultural traditions of Black, Indigenous, and communities of color to help in building a program that expands technological access and authorship within underrepresented groups.
Faculty rank and salary are commensurate with teaching experience, professional background, and the degrees held. Contract renewal and rank advancement at Woodbury are contingent upon satisfying departmental and university criteria, which include effective teaching, meaningful engagement through creative work, scholarship, and service to the University. The position begins in August 2021. Woodbury University is a non-tenure granting institution.
This position qualifies University sponsored employee benefit plans and programs (e.g., group health insurance, life insurance, tax deferred annuity plan, sick, and paid holidays), subject to the eligibility requirements and conditions of each plan and program.
School of Media, Culture, and Design
Information on the programs can be found at the links below:
We are seeking a candidate with expertise in computational media related to issues of representation, inclusion, and/or environmental and social justice. Teaching possibilities may include the following: Introductory to advanced level courses in programming, real-time generated media, advanced 3D production, physical computing, machine learning, augmented reality and virtual reality. The candidates should demonstrate an ability to teach at multiple levels in the ACS-Media Arts program through the exhibition of deep programming skills a comprehensive knowledge of new technologies in the field, and a demonstrated interest in fostering a diverse and inclusive learning environment
- Applicants should demonstrate an active career in emerging media-related fields and/or design computation.
- An M.F.A. or M.S. in Media Arts or related field is preferred
and required for rank advancement.
Experience teaching at an accredited college or university.
- The ideal candidate will have produced a body of work that reflects deep expertise and proficiency in multiple programming languages and development platforms, accompanied by a strong visual portfolio.
- Facilitate student learning, provide effective instruction, and perform evaluations of student learning for all assigned classes, using each course's standard course outline as a guide.
- Develop course curriculum, course handouts, lectures, labs, and presentations.
- Participate in program level learning assessment. Participation includes helping articulate learning outcomes, choosing and administering measures, evaluating student performance, and suggesting changes to improve student learning.
- Work with other faculty and administrators in developing program curriculum, standards, and policies, including reviewing and participating in textbook selection process where appropriate.
- Be available to students via email, phone, or personal conferences. The method of contact and hours of availability should be clearly communicated to department chairs and to students through the course syllabus each semester.
- Assign grades and maintain course/student records in accordance with FERPA regulations and submit grades and records by established deadlines.
- Meet all classes and other scheduled responsibilities such as office hours and meetings at the designated times. A faculty member should inform the chair/dean if he or she is unable to meet a class on time.
- Keep a flexible weekly schedule that best facilitates student learning and access. Any changes in the scheduled class times or locations should have prior approval by the faculty's chair.
- Participate in faculty evaluation process.
- Remain current in academic or program discipline, including attending professional conferences, and maintaining licensure, certification, or continuing education requirements where appropriate.
- Receive training or stay current in technological or pedagogical advances that promote student learning.
- Participate in college professional development activities.
Service to the University
- Help students achieve their educational goals through formal and/or informal advising.
- Post and keep on campus hours to facilitate interaction with students, other faculty, staff, administrators, and the public.
- Serve on standing and ad hoc committees, advisory boards, hiring committees, faculty senate, or as a student organization advisor.
- Attend local, regional, state, or national meetings where required or necessary for the discipline.
- Mentor and/or assist in orienting new faculty either formally or informally.
- Attend commencement or other ceremonies appropriate to the faculty member's discipline or program.
- Attend departmental, divisional, and university-wide meetings.
- Perform other academically related duties as assigned by the department chair/dean.
- Participate in Woodbury University Faculty Association (WUFA) meetings and forums.
Review of applications will begin January 15th and remain open until filled. Submissions should include:1. A letter of application outlining administrative experience, teaching interests and experience, research or other creative interests and relevant experience. (2 pages) 2. Curriculum Vitae. 3. Portfolio of Student Work with links to animated or interactive media. (10 pages, maximum) 4. Portfolio of Professional Work and/or Research with links to animated or interactive media. (10 pages, maximum) 5. (1) Course syllabus 6. A list of References with contact information. These will be contacted only in the event the candidate advances in the search.
Please send the above as a single bound pdf through a downloadable link.
Woodbury University is dedicated to celebrating diversity and committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. Woodbury University is an EEO/AA institution committed to multicultural diversity in its peoples and programs. All employment decisions for all job classifications will be made on the basis of such factors as education, character, ability, skill and training, without regard to race, religion, color, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, political orientation, disability, veteran status, marital status, parental status, genetic information, membership or non-membership in any lawful organization, or any other protected status.