Early Childhood Educator II
The University of Colorado Boulder and our CU Children's Center is now encouraging applications for an Early Childhood Educator II in the one-year-old classroom! This role will provide childcare for children of families affiliated with the University of Colorado including; residents of Family Housing Apartments, faculty, staff, students, and alumni. The Children’s Center is licensed through the Colorado Department of Social Services and is accredited by the National Association for the Education of Young Children. This position may include supervision of classroom staff.
Positional duties from the requested class title include writing lesson plans, implementing activities to meet individual needs, leading other staff, and coordinating with parents to discuss behavior/development. This position may also be responsible for directly supervising the ECE I.
The University of Colorado Boulder is committed to building a culturally diverse community of faculty, staff, and students dedicated to contributing to an inclusive campus environment. We are an Equal Opportunity employer, including veterans and individuals with disabilities.
Who We Are
The mission of the University of Colorado Children’s Center is to provide the highest quality of care and education for young children. Our role is to encourage and support each child in all areas of development, therefore crafting a positive self-image and realistic opportunity for success. Campus administration, Children’s Center staff members, parents, and members of the community all play an integral part in promoting and providing an environment rich in learning experiences and opportunities for children within the CU community.
What Your Key Responsibilities Will Be
- Planning and implementing a developmentally appropriate curriculum with other teachers by using available resources, building activities, meeting individual children’s needs, and maintains the classroom areas which include science, math, language, arts, large and small motor, art, multicultural. Follows all NAEYC, ITERS, ECERS, Colorado Shines, and licensing guidelines.
- Directly leads and trains ECE I and provides mentorship as needed for students, assistants, and volunteers.
- Supervise and interact with children by planning and implementing age-appropriate activities.
- Use appropriate Guidance Techniques. Keeps clear, comprehensive, and accurate records, (Social Service, Sign-in sheets, Children’s records, all other paperwork).
- Maintain channels of communication with teaching teams and the office in an effective manner.
- Maintain confidentiality in all communication.
- Complete written reports as needed including notes, accident reports, etc.
- Provide information to parents about their child by discussion at arrival and departure time, written communications, and/or telephone calls.
- Provide positive customer service and information, handles difficult situations with finesse.
- Help parents to understand behavior and development.
Health & Safety:
- Ensure the safety of children by surveying indoor and outdoor equipment, communicating any concerns to the director.
- Maintain health standards following procedures for food preparation, diapering, medication administration, etc.
- Remain current on certifications including CPR, First Aid, UP, Child Abuse, and Medication Administration.
- Assure continual professional growth by attending staff in-services, workshops, and conferences.
- Demonstrate flexibility in scheduling, working with different levels of staff, and handling a variety of situations.
What We Can Offer
- The salary for this position is $34,320.00, the hourly rate is $16.50/hr.
The University of Colorado offers excellent benefits , including medical, dental, retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO Pass. The University of Colorado Boulder is one of the largest employers in Boulder County and offers an inspiring higher education environment. Learn more about the University of Colorado Boulder .
Be Creative. Be Inspired. Be Boulder.
What We Require
- An Early Childhood Educator II must be at least 18 years of age.
- One year of professional experience in an occupational field related to the work assigned to the position in addition to any of the following combinations of education and experience:
1. A Bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited college or university with a major area of study in one of the following areas: 1)Early childhood education; 2)Elementary education; 3) Special education; 4) Family and child development; 5) Child psychology.
2. Bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited college or university with two (2) three-semester hour early childhood education college courses with one course being either Introduction to Early Childhood Education or Guidance Strategies.
3. Current early childhood professional Credential Level III Version 2.0 as determined by the Colorado Department of Education.
4. Sixty (60) semester hours, in early childhood education from a regionally accredited college or university, which must include at least two (2) three-semester hour courses, one of which must be either Introduction to Early Childhood Education or Guidance Strategies, and six (6) months of satisfactory experience.
5. Completion of twelve (12) semester hours from a regionally accredited college or university, at either a two year, four years or graduate level, in each of the following subject or content areas in early childhood education and one of the three (3) semester hour courses must be either Introduction to Early Childhood Education or Guidance Strategies and nine (9) months (1,395 hours) of verified experience in the care and supervision of four (4) or more children less than six (6) years of age who are not related to the individual.
6. Completion of a vocational or occupational education sequence in child development and twelve months of verified experience in the care and supervision of four or more children less than six(6) years of age who are not related to the individual.
7. Current certification as a Child Development Associate (CDA) from the Council of Professional Recognition, or other Department-approved credentials.
8. Completion of a course of training approved by the Department that includes training and work experience with children in a child growth and development program and twelve (12) months (1,820 hours) of verified experience in the care and supervision of four (4) or more children less than six (6) years of age who are not related to the individual.
9. 1) Current Colorado Level III credential; or, 2) Two (2) three- semester hour early childhood education college courses from a regionally accredited college or university, at either a two year, four years or graduate level, in each of the following subject or content areas with one course being either Introduction to Early Childhood Education or Guidance Strategies and twenty-four (24) months (3,640 hours) of verified experience in the care and supervision of four (4) or more children less than six (6) years of age who are not related to the individual. Satisfactory experience includes being a licensee of a Colorado family child care home; a teacher’s aide or a teacher in a child care center, preschool, or elementary school.
What You Will Need
- Ability to provide a high-quality environment nurturing a diverse population of children ages 12 months through age five.
- Proven skills to develop, supervise, plan and teach a developmentally appropriate curriculum; train and evaluate assistant teachers and university student employees, and implement family programs while modeling appropriate language and behaviors.
What We Would Like You To Have
- Three years experience working in a licensed early childhood center with infants and/or toddlers.
To apply, please submit the following materials:
1. A current resume.
2. A cover letter that specifically addresses how your background and experience align with the requirements, qualifications and responsibilities of the position.
You will not be asked to upload references at this time.
Please apply by April 25, 2021 for consideration.
Note: Application materials will not be accepted via email. For consideration, applications must be submitted through CU Boulder Jobs.
Posting Contact Information
Posting Contact Name: Boulder Campus Human Resources
Posting Contact Email: email@example.com