The position is responsible for the performance of all aspects of gardener work including athletic sports turf care, preparation of sports fields surfaces, designing, stripping and painting lines for intercollegiate athletic fields, irrigation systems repair, herbicide spraying and pest control, and heavy grounds equipment operation. This position is responsible for the general upkeep and maintenance of all landscaping and sports fields, ensuring a clean, safe and attractive learning environment. Position makes decisions based upon sound grounds maintenance practice. Researches and recommends supplies and materials for area of responsibility.
- General up-keep, maintenance, and beautification of sports field
- Perform skilled horticulture work in specialized planting areas
- Equipment operation
- Tool and equipment maintenance
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Thorough knowledge of a wide variety of turf grasses and their impact on the sports that are played on them; general knowledge of soils and PH factors for sports turfs; thorough knowledge of a wide variety of soils or minerals to create sports surfaces, such as baseball mounds or softball surfaces.
- Thorough knowledge of the dimensions and layouts of fields, such as football, soccer, baseball, softball, rugby, field hockey, lacrosse, and track and field; thorough knowledge of line stripping and spraying equipment to line fields correctly and to create and implement designs for multi-color field emblems and logos.
- Thorough knowledge of methods, plants, tools, and equipment used in the planting, cultivating, and caring for flowers, shrubs and trees, with an emphasis on sports turf fields, and necessary equipment; ability to identify plant and turf diseases, pests and nutrient deficiencies.
- Ability to read and write at a level appropriate to the duties of the position; ability to follow simple oral and written instruction. Ability to coordinate and schedule workload based on general concepts and needs conveyed by the Athletic Department.
- Ability to interface positively with co-workers, students, staff and faculty.
- Ability to perform all work activities in a safe manner utilizing safety guidelines and equipment.
- Possession of the appropriate State of California license to perform pest control work.
- Must be able to successfully complete the Defensive Driver Training Program provided by the State of California for CSU Campuses and pass the course exam.
Two years of experience in performing work in the cultivation and care of nursery or ornamental plants including planting of seeds and cuttings, watering, fertilizing, transplanting, and pruning. Requires the possession of a valid California Driver's License for the operation of any vehicle or equipment required for position and in any emergency situation. Must participate in all OSHA required physicals and examinations.
- Bilingual preferred; ability to speak, understand and be understood by others in Spanish.
- Two years in the general maintenance of landscaped areas, one year of which shall have been in the maintenance of sports turf, equipment operation, and irrigation installation and repair
Anticipated Hiring Range: $2,990/month - $3,880/month
Hiring Range: $2,990/month - $5,404/month
San José State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package typically worth 30-35% of your base salary. For more information on programs available, please see the Employee Benefits Summary .
Click Apply Now to complete the SJSU Online Employment Application and attach the following documents:
All applicants must apply within the specified application period: April 12, 2021 through April 26, 2021 . This position is open until filled; however, applications received after screening has begun will be considered at the discretion of the university.
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal records check) is required for employment. SJSU will issue a contingent offer of employment to the selected candidate, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was offered the position on a contingent basis.
The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. Some positions may also require fingerprinting. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (e.g. H1-B VISAS)
All San José State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Equal Employment Statement
San José State University (SJSU) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, creed, disability, ethnicity, gender, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, race, religion or lack thereof, sex, sexual orientation, transgender, or protected veteran status consistent with applicable federal and state laws. This policy applies to all SJSU students, faculty and staff programs and activities. Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, and certain other federal and state laws, prohibit discrimination on the basis of sex in all education programs and activities operated by the university (both on and off campus).
Advertised: April 12, 2021 (9:00 AM) Pacific Daylight Time
More searches like this
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in San Jose
- Business & Administrative Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in San Jose
- Facilities Management & Physical Plant Not specified Full Time jobs in San Jose
- Student Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in San Jose
- Athletics Not specified Full Time jobs in San Jose