Facilities Maintenance - Grounds Supervisor
Job Posting Title Facilities Maintenance - Grounds Supervisor Location Los Rios Community College District (Facilities Management) Department Location Facilities Management Posting Number C01414P The Institution
The Los Rios Community College District is the second-largest, two-year public college district in California, serving approximately 75,000 students in the greater Sacramento region. The District’s 2,400 square mile service area includes Sacramento and El Dorado counties and parts of Yolo, Placer, and Solano counties and is comprised of four uniquely diverse colleges – American River, Cosumnes River, Folsom Lake, and Sacramento City colleges. In addition to each college’s main campus, the District offers educational centers in Placerville, Davis, West Sacramento, Elk Grove, Natomas, and Rancho Cordova.
The Los Rios District Office is centrally located in the heart of the Sacramento valley. The growing Capital Region has strong communities and emergent arts and dining scenes, and is nearby some of the most celebrated tourist destinations in the country – Lake Tahoe, Napa Valley, and San Francisco. The Sacramento area is a great place to live and work.
The District has approximately 6,000 employees throughout our four colleges and District Office complex. The District Office is centrally located between all four colleges and provides welcoming, inclusive, and equitable environments for Los Rios students, employees, and our community partners. Our departments strive for the highest quality in all programs, services, and activities, and are focused on advancing the learning of our diverse student population through improved academic and social outcomes.
Our Colleges offer equity-minded, academically rigorous, student success centered education. Our objective is to help our students successfully achieve their academic goals, whether they want to transfer to a four-year college or university, earn an associates degree, or obtain one of more than 100 certificates in high demand career fields.
The Los Rios Community College District Facilities Management Department is responsible for facility planning, construction (new, modernization and renovation), maintenance and operations for all of the District’s education and administrative sites as well and maintaining the District’s entire vehicle and rolling stock fleet. Facilities Management (FM) is divided into two sub-departments, Facilities Planning and Construction and Facilities Maintenance and Operation. Each of these departments is led by a Director and these Directors report to the Associate Vice Chancellor of Facilities Management.
The Facilities Planning and Construction Department is responsible for managing the District’s Capital Building Program which is funded through voter approved local and state-wide bond measures. Currently, the District is in the midst of implementing this program which totals approximately $1.2 billion in new construction and modernization type project on all our sites.
The Facilities Maintenance Department provides journeyman-level maintenance over several disciplines to include carpentry, cabinetry, roofing, HVAC, plumbing, sheet-metal, electrical, grounds-keeping and vehicle maintenance. It also manages the District’s energy resources and sustainability programs as well as projects funded through the State’s Scheduled Maintenance and Special Repairs ( SMSR ) program.
Under the direction of the Director of Facilities Maintenance, plan, organize, develop and supervise a district wide program of grounds maintenance and development activities that employs both aesthetical and practical applications to achieve a high standard of quality for the design and maintenance of campus and auxiliary grounds operated by the Los Rios CCD . Coordinate grounds maintenance work activity including athletic fields with various college departments. [For a detailed job description for this LRSA Los Rios Supervisors Association posting Job Descriptions click here ].
This position is assigned to the Facilities Management department, located at 3753 Bradview Drive, Sacramento, 95827
Los Rios Community College District offers competitive salaries and a very comprehensive employee benefits package to include medical insurance, CalPERS retirement, and opportunities for additional insurance and financial investments.
Full-time, twelve-month employees receive 17 days of annual paid holidays, 21 days’ vacation yearly and 8 hours of sick leave per month. Los Rios also offers extensive professional development opportunities with the district and financial support and/or paid time off to complete external academic studies. (See full LRSA contract agreement details)
● Directs maintenance grounds development.
● Schedules, assigns, and supervises the work of grounds maintenance personnel in the performance of grounds maintenance work including planting, pruning, fertilizing, spraying, weeding, and mowing activities.
● Supervises cleaning and preparation of athletic fields and parking areas.
● Develops budgets for Grounds department
● Participates as a member of campus buildings and grounds committee.
● Participates in grounds activities as required.
● Guides, trains, and gives technical assistance to Head Groundskeepers and employees engaged in daily grounds maintenance tasks and special horticultural projects, and inspects completed assignments to ensure that the established standards are satisfactorily maintained in the following areas: work quality, operating procedures, efficiency, progress, methods and practices, safety, and proper disposal of herbicide and pesticide containers.
● Plans, develops, prioritizes, and manages efficient and economical ground maintenance tasks and horticultural programs in accordance with the seasonal calendar, the college calendars, and with current weather conditions to assure that ascertained levels of appearance, plant health, cleanliness, and public safety are attained on a daily basis.
● Recommends the purchase of trees, shrubs, plants, and materials.
● Implements efficient water conversation methods.
● Develops landscape planning for existing and new campuses.
● Supervises installation and layout of new parking lots landscape, storm drains, and sprinkler systems.
● Recommends types of sprinkler systems, control and piping to be installed.
● Price and purchases materials according to established guidelines and procedures.
● Reviews and assists architects and engineers with the landscape plans and design for new construction projects.
● Estimates materials, equipment, and District staffing requirements.
● In consultation with campus management, establishes and maintains direct personal contacts with a wide spectrum of college community members affected and/or concerned with the quality, safety, and appearance of all campuses and other District properties.
● Consults with these clients with regard to concerns about the frequency of maintenance activities, standards employed, appearance, disturbance created, etc.
● Consults, coordinates, and plans with numerous college departments and organizations to provide support services for a wide variety of events, programs, official functions, recreational activities, etc.
● Plans, develops, supervises related work in an efficient, economical manner to support such services.
● Initiates the purchase of supplies, tools, and equipment in accordance with established purchasing procedures.
● Plans, develops, and supervise efficient, economical maintenance schedules and activities for the repair of grounds equipment and preventive maintenance of tools and equipment assigned to the general grounds maintenance section, to ensure prolonged life, usefulness and safety of equipment and minimize breakdowns, failures, and hazards.
● Establishes and maintains a recordkeeping system to include a correspondence file, a project file, a technical update file, a file of herbicides and pesticides used, and disposal of containers, a file on equipment history and preventive maintenance, and a training and attendance file.
● Participates in establishing and maintaining a task-related grounds maintenance management inventory and maintains appropriate records.
● Participates in the Department computerized work management system, and utilizes, pertinent management reports to schedule, evaluate, and improve plant health, general landscape appearance, and work performance.
● Performs related duties as assigned.
Additional Information Work Year N/A Work Schedule
6:00 a.m. – 2:30 p.m., Monday – Friday
Total Hrs per Week/Day 40 hours per week Special Requirements
● Possess and maintain a valid California Driver’s License in compliance with Los Rios Board Regulation R-8343.
● Employment is contingent upon meeting the requirements of Los Rios Board Regulation R-8343.
● This position may require operating a District or personal vehicle in order to complete assigned work within the scope of the position duties.
● Must hold and maintain a valid California Certified Commercial Applicator Permit (Section A, B, and D) for herbicide and pesticide use (to be obtained within the first six months of employment).
● Any offer of employment is contingent upon the successful completion of a medical evaluation.
EXPERIENCE : Four years of increasingly responsible experience, including two years in a lead or supervisory capacity, in landscaping and grounds maintenance.
EDUCATION : An Associate’s degree from an accredited institution in horticultural or botany or a closely related field; OR two additional years of qualifying experience supplemented by course work in horticulture, landscaping, grounds maintenance, or equivalent.
Have an equity-minded focus, responsiveness, and sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds of community college students, including those with physical or learning disabilities as it relates to differences in learning styles; and successfully foster and support an inclusive educational and employment environment.
(Experience Requirement: One year of experience is equal to 12 months of experience at a maximum of 40 hours per week. Applicable part-time experience will be converted to the full-time equivalent for purposes of meeting the experience requirement. Education Requirement: 15 units are equal to six months of education; 30 units are equal to one year of education.)
Education must be from an accredited institution.
1. A completed Los Rios Community College District Classified Application (required).
2. Resume (required).
3. Unofficial transcripts of college/university work (indicating degree completion or conferral date) (required if using education to meet the Minimum Qualifications of this position.)
4. Two (2) letters of recommendation (required).
5. Letter of Interest (required).
● Applications submitted without all required documents, listed above, will be disqualified.
● Applicants indicating “see resume” on the online application will be disqualified.
● Graduate advising documents and grade reports will not be accepted as official transcripts.
● It is the responsibility of Los Rios Community College District employees to also provide official transcripts, if required in the minimum qualification for the position. (Within 60 days of the time of hire, employees are required to submit official transcripts, if required in the minimum qualification for the position).
● Individuals who have completed college or university course work at an institution in a country other than the United States must obtain a complete evaluation of foreign transcripts, degrees and other relevant documents.
● A foreign transcript evaluation is required any time foreign course work is used to meet minimum qualifications and/or salary placement even if the foreign transcript has been accepted by a college or university in the United States.
● Foreign transcript evaluations are ONLY accepted from AICE (Association of International Credential Evaluations, Inc.) or NACES (The National Association of Credential Evaluation Services) agencies or evaluators Foreign Degree Transcript Evaluations click here
Do not submit additional materials that are not requested.
Physical Demands Salary $6,308.40 (Exempt) LRCCD Salary Schedules Additional Salary Information No additional salary information to note
Posting Date 04/12/2021 Closing Date 05/03/2021 Open Continuously No Beginning and/or Ending Dates
How and where to apply
Please visit our Frequently Asked Questions for complete information on how to apply online with our District. Application services are available between 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday. If you need assistance with any phase of the application process, please call (916) 568-3112 during our business hours.
After hours inquiries should be emailed to email@example.com. Submission of applications are by 11:59 p.m., of the posting closing date.
Offers of employment are contingent upon the successful clearance from a criminal background check, freedom from tuberculosis, and proof of identity and eligibility to work in the United States prior to the first day of work. The District may select additional qualified candidates should unexpected vacancies or needs occur during this recruitment/selection process. When education is a requirement for the position, official academic transcripts from the accredited college/university must be submitted within 60 days of hire.
Quicklink https://jobs.losrios.edu/postings/15123 Supplemental Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Can you perform the essential functions of this position?
- * Considering this specific position that you are applying to –
where/how did you learn about this position?
- College Department
- Chronicle of Higher Ed (Vitea.com)
- Community College Registry Job Fair: Oakland
- Community College Registry Job Fair: Los Angeles
- Community College Registry Online Job Board
- Community Outreach (ex. Festivals, etc.)
- Diverse: Issues in Higher Education
- D'Primeramano Magazine
- Facebook (Campaign)
- Facebook (Los Rios Page)
- Greater Sacramento Urban League
- Handshake (CSU, UC Job Boards)
- Job Sites
- Job Journal
- Latina Leadership Network of the California Community Colleges
- Los Rios Community College District Employee
- Los Rios Community College District Human Resources Email
- Los Rios Community College District Website
- LRCCD Resource Group - API (Asian Pacific Islander Legacy)
- LRCCD Resource Group - Black Faculty & Staff Association (BFSA)
- LRCCD Resource Group Native American Collaborative (NAC)
- LRCCD Resource Group - Spectrum (LGBTQIA+)
- Professional Networks
- Sacramento Black Chamber of Commerce
- Sacramento Asian Chamber of Commerce
- Sacramento Builders Exchange
- Sacramento Hispanic Chamber of Commerce
- Sacramento Rainbow Chamber of Commerce
- The HUB
- * I acknowledge and agree that I understand that by answering
the question below, I certify that the information provided by me
is true, correct and complete to the best of my knowledge and
belief. I authorize investigation of all statements contained
herein, and on the P-881 (if applicable and submitted), and I
release from liability all persons and organizations furnishing
such information. I understand that any misstatements, omissions or
misrepresentation of facts on this form, my application, and, if
applicable, the P-881 or attachment(s) may be cause for
disqualification or dismissal. If you have ever been convicted of
an offense other than a minor traffic violation you are required to
complete the form 'Arrests Which Led to Convictions for Crime',
P-881 (you must disclose convictions that have been dismissed
pursuant to Penal Code Section 1203.4; Ed. Code 87008). If needed
click on the link and download the form https://losrios.edu/lrccd/shared/doc/hr/forms/p-881.pdf
and attach the completed form to your application.
- Yes, I acknowledge and agree
- No, I do not acknowledge or agree
- No answer
- Resume/Curriculum Vitae
- Letter of Interest
- Unofficial Transcript 1
- Letter of Recommendation 1
- Letter of Recommendation 2
- P-881 Report of Arrests Which Led To Convictions For Crime Document
- Unofficial Transcript 2
- Unofficial Transcript 3
- Unofficial Transcript 4
- Unofficial Transcript 5
- Foreign Transcript Evaluation
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Sacramento
- Professional Fields Not specified Full Time jobs in Sacramento
- Vocational & Technical Fields Not specified Full Time jobs in Sacramento
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Sacramento
- Business & Administrative Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Sacramento