The Teacher II serves as team leader and oversees the work of staff in the Little Eagles Learning Center. Promotes the social, emotional, moral, cognitive, language, and physical development of children. Builds partnerships with families through mutual respect.
Florida Gulf Coast University is committed to establishing and maintaining an inclusive working and learning environment in which students, faculty, administrators, staff, curriculum, social activities, governance, and all other aspects of the campus life reflect a diverse, multi-cultural, and international worldview.
At FGCU, we collectively stand against any individual or group that practices any form of racism, discrimination, intolerance, hate expressions, or disrespect. We are committed to preparing students to understand, live among, appreciate, and work in an inherently diverse country and world made up of people with different ethnic and racial backgrounds, religious beliefs, abilities, ages, gender identities, sexual orientations, socio-economic status, cultural traditions, family statuses, and military backgrounds. FGCU strives to hire great people from a wide variety of backgrounds, not just because it’s the right thing to do, but because it makes our University stronger. The University community recognizes the importance of a diverse and inclusive institution and holds these ideals as paramount for the current and future success of the institution.
We seek colleagues who promote and embrace diversity, equity, and inclusion. We encourage individuals from diverse backgrounds to apply for this position as we believe that our University will grow and move forward through a commitment of equality for all.
Typical duties may include but are not limited to:
•Supervises classroom aides, interns, and students; provides support and guidance to student interns and undergraduate students.
•Provides training and development services to increase workforce competence, employee engagement, or organizational capability.
•Serves as a team leader and oversees the work of staff in assigned area.
• Ensures that childcare routines are consistent with good child development principles. Ensures the health, safety, welfare, and accountability of children through constant supervision.
• Promotes and plans indoor and outdoor activities to engage children in a wide variety of experiences.
• Provides parents with information about their child’s experiences. Fosters close partnerships with parents in an effort to provide a unified harmonious approach to child rearing and education.
• Monitors child’s progress and maintains records in all areas of development.
• Collaborates with staff in planning and assignments.
• Models, conveys, and promotes high quality developmentally and culturally appropriate practices in early care and education to families, professionals, and the community-at-large.
• Reports accidents, injuries and illnesses to parents and supervisors. Reports suspected cases of child abuse and neglect to authorities as a mandated reporter under state law.
• Shares joint housekeeping responsibilities with other staff members.
•Attends staff meetings, training programs and conferences.
•Assists in other classrooms as needed.
•Performs other job-related duties as assigned.
Additional Job Description
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution in Early Childhood Education or related area.
- Two years of full-time professional experience in a licensed child care program or related experience.
- Staff Credential, VPK Emergent Literacy Class, and VPK Standards Class certifications or ability to obtain within six (6) months of hire.
- 45 clock-hour childcare training as required by the Department of Children and Families. Training must begin within 90 days of hire and be completed by one year.
- Current American Red Cross CPR/AED and First Aid certification or ability to obtain within six months of employment.
- Any appropriate combination of relevant education, experience, and/or certifications may be considered.
- Experience operating a personal computer and proficient with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel and Outlook).
- Must meet all requirements of Chapters 402 and 435 F.S.
- Master’s degree from an accredited institution in Early Childhood Education or related area.
- Experience with children in a full-time licensed child care facility or public/private school programs.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Knowledge of all childcare licensing standards, the accreditation standards of the NAEYC, Florida Sunrise and Sunshine State Standards, and/or national Head Start performance standards.
- Knowledge of or ability to learn the state regulations governing the identification and reporting of child abuse and neglect.
- Ability to provide supportive and caring services to all children and families using patience, sensitivity, dignity and respect.
- Ability to provide basic nutrition and hygiene services for infants and young children.
- Ability to communicate effectively with children, parents, staff, volunteers, students and visitors.
- Ability to collaborate and work effectively within a diverse community and willing to contribute to a team effort.
- Ability to think critically and make clear, well-reasoned and timely decisions.
- Ability to take initiative to plan, organize, coordinate and perform work in various situations when numerous and diverse demands are involved.
- Ability to adapt quickly to changing situations and environments.
- Ability to assume new responsibilities and carry them out in an effective manner.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and discretion at all times.
- Ability to thrive in an organization that values the diversity of its student body and workforce and actively promotes equity and inclusion.
FGCU is an EOE AA /F/Vet/Disability Employer.
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Fort Myers
- Social & Behavioral Sciences Not specified Full Time jobs in Fort Myers
- Human Development & Family Sciences Not specified Full Time jobs in Fort Myers
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Fort Myers
- Business & Administrative Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Fort Myers