Special Events Worker
Posting Number C00103P Quick Link for Position https://jobs.uafs.edu/postings/1817 Working Title Special Events Worker Position Number Department Campus and Community Events About the University
For more than 6,000 students each semester, the University of Arkansas – Fort Smith offers a dynamic and diverse learning community with a student-centered approach focused on the success of the individual. Small class sizes combine with innovative, hands-on learning and research experiences alongside expert faculty to ensure students receive a future-focused education at the most affordable tuition rate in the state. The university has undergone significant changes since its founding in 1928 and now offers 51 bachelor’s and associate degrees, two master’s degrees, and 36 certificate programs, all aimed at preparing students for success in the global workforce. UAFS is one of 21 academic institutions and affiliates governed by the University of Arkansas System.
The second-largest city in the state, Fort Smith is located on the Arkansas-Oklahoma border in the heart of the Arkansas River Valley. Established in 1817 as a frontier military post, Fort Smith is now a vibrant and growing city featuring a variety of cultural activities and entertainment options, including a thriving downtown arts and entertainment district. Outdoors enthusiasts will appreciate the Natural State’s plentiful trails, mountains, forests, parks, and waterways, both within city limits and throughout the surrounding area. The city is also within easy driving distance of Tulsa, Kansas City, Dallas, Oklahoma City, Little Rock, and Memphis.
The UAFS campus is comprised of 77 buildings and facilities located on 170 beautifully manicured acres and crowned with the Donald W. Reynolds Campus Plaza, Tower, and Campus Green. Students who choose to live on campus may do so in one of two residence hall complexes, complete with a full-service dining center, or the on-campus apartment complex for married students and upperclassmen. Campus involvement is encouraged by participation in more than 100 registered student organizations, which includes academic societies, a dynamic Greek life system, intramural sports, and cultural/special interest groups. The UAFS Lions compete in NCAA Division II Lonestar Conference in men’s baseball, women’s volleyball, and men’s and women’s basketball, golf, cross country, and tennis.
About the College / Department Position Summary
The position reports to the Director of Campus and Community Events and takes directive in the field from the Special Events Coordinator. The employee is responsible for all aspects of moving and special events on campus to include: set-up/tear-down for special events, furniture and office moves, surplus inventory storage and removal, and performing general labor tasks as assigned.
Summary of Job Duties
• Set-up and/or clear rooms for special events to include: tables, chairs, podiums, technical equipment, fencing, tents, pianos, and any other requested items.
• Set-up gym/arena for concerts and other special events requiring athletic equipment, i.e., basketball goals, retractable bleachers, floor covering, chairs, and staging to be moved.
• Moves and rearranges office furniture/equipment as directed by work order.
• Moves furniture, equipment, and fixtures to storage.
• Loads and unloads materials for Marketing and Redistribution.
• Loads, moves, and unloads items such as lighting equipment, platforms, staging, and any other requested materials for events.
• Requires consistent on-time attendance.
• Responsible for maintaining a positive work atmosphere by acting and communicating in a manner to foster teamwork and by providing leadership to subordinates.
• Requires consistent on-time attendance.
• Other duties as assigned.
One year of experience performing general labor tasks. Completion of sufficient education or training to read and write follow routine oral and written instructions. Must have a valid driver’s license. Forklift experience/certification a plus.
License(s)/Certifications Preferred Qualifications
Event set-up and/or experience moving furniture preferred.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
• Ability to lift and move furniture and equipment on a repetitive basis.
• Ability to operate a truck, buggy, and forklift.
• Ability to perform manual labor under varying working conditions.
• Ability to maneuver from building to building multiple times per day.
• Ability to read, write, and follow oral and written instructions.
• Ability to prioritize assignments.
• Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
• Ability to occasionally work in inclement weather.
• Ability to work effectively on a team.
• Ability to perform and maintain multiple tasks.
Special Job Dimensions
Must be able to lift a minimum of 50 pounds on a frequent basis, and able to bend, stoop, and stand during shifts of eight hours or more. Must be able to lift 75± pounds on a moderate basis. Must use good judgement, extreme caution and drive slowly at all times when operating buggies or vehicles, especially around pedestrians. Occasional exposure to inclement weather is required. Occasional overtime will be required.
40 hours/week- 6am-2:30pm with occasional nights/weekends
Salary $23,086 Benefits
Competitive benefits package.
Background Check / Pre-Employment Screening
This position may be subject to a pre-employment criminal background check, sex offender registry check, financial history background check, and/or drug screening. A criminal conviction or arrest pending adjudication and/or adverse financial history alone shall not disqualify an applicant in the absence of a relationship to the requirements of the position. Background checks and drug screening information will be used in a confidential, non- discriminatory manner consistent with state and federal law.
Does this position require a background check? Criminal Background Check, Motor Vehicle Registry (MVR) Check, and Drug Screening
Open Date 04/09/2021 Close Date Open Until Filled No Special Instructions to Applicants
For full consideration, apply by April 21st, 2021.
Anticipated start date 05/03/2021 EEO Statement
The University of Arkansas – Fort Smith is an equal opportunity, affirmative action institution, dedicated to attracting and supporting diverse student, faculty, and staff populations. The University welcomes applications without regard to race, religion, color, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity, and sexual orientation), parental status, national origin, age, disability, family medical history or genetic information, political affiliation, military service, or other non-merit based factors. Persons must have proof of legal authority to work in the United States on the first day of employment. All applicant information is subject to public disclosure under the Arkansas Freedom of Information Act.
- Cover Letter
- Unofficial College Transcripts
- Proof of Veteran Status
- Additional Document
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Do you understand that failure to complete the Employment
History section of the application will result in automatic
- * Did you complete the Employment History section of the
- * Have you ever been fired or asked to resign from a job?
- If yes, please describe.
(Open Ended Question)
- * How did you learn of this employment opportunity?
(Open Ended Question)
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Fort Smith
- Humanities Not specified Full Time jobs in Fort Smith
- History Not specified Full Time jobs in Fort Smith
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Fort Smith
- Business & Administrative Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Fort Smith