Director Employee Services
The director is responsible for coordinating and directing the employee/labor relations programs and functions (leave administration, disciplinary processes, collective bargaining, reasonable accommodation requests, workers compensation). These functions include responsibility for developing, interpreting and recommending goals and objectives, policies and procedures, and courses of action.
Responsible for managing the employee/labor relations activities according to established guidelines and sound administrative practices and in accordance with the organization's mission, values and goals.
- Develops and recommends strategies for labor management and
employee relations, participates and/or leads management during
applicable collective bargaining negotiations
• Ensures Miami University complies with applicable collective bargaining agreements (e.g. AFSCME, FOP), relevant personnel/employment related sections of Ohio Civil Service, Ohio Revised and Administrative Codes, Miami University employment policies and other applicable state/federal regulations (e.g. FMLA, ADA).
• Designated hearing officer for pre-disciplinary and grievance hearings pursuant to applicable collective bargaining agreement(s) and Miami University employment policies
• Responsible for leave(s) of absence administration (e.g. FML, parental leave), worker’s compensation, unemployment and the completion of the ADA interactive process for accommodations under the oversight of General Counsel.
• Provides guidance, direction and recommendations to supervisors related to performance management/improvement and disciplinary actions.
• Responsible for the efficient and effective operations of the employee/labor relations unit within the Human Resources Department. Direct supervision of two employees.
• Completes investigations and other projects as assigned
Bachelor's degree in Human Resource Management, Labor Relations/Law, Industrial Relations, or closely related fields of study and at least seven (7) years of directly related experience. OR
Associate's degree in Human Resource Management, Labor Relations/Law, Industrial Relations, or closely related fields of study and at least nine (9) years of directly related experience. OR
At least eleven (11) years of directly related experience.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Strong interpersonal and communication skills. Must possess considerable knowledge of management/labor relations and statutory/regulatory requirements related to Human Resources. Ability to analyze data and provide recommendations. Experience with Microsoft Office products, and at a minimum intermediate excel skills (pivot tables, formula functions etc.)
Please submit a cover letter, resume and three professional references.
Miami University, an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer, encourages applications from minorities, women, protected veterans and individuals with disabilities. Miami University prohibits harassment, discrimination and retaliation on the basis of age (40 years or older), color, disability, gender identity or expression, genetic information, military status, national origin (ancestry), pregnancy, race, religion, sex/gender, status as a parent or foster parent, sexual orientation, or protected veteran status in its application and admission processes, educational programs and activities, facilities, programs or employment practices. Requests for reasonable accommodations for disabilities related to employment should be directed to ADAFacultyStaff@miamioh.edu or 513-529-3560.
As part of the University’s commitment to maintaining a healthy and safe living, learning, and working environment, we encourage you to read Miami University’s Annual Security & Fire Safety Report at: http://www.MiamiOH.edu/campus-safety/annual-report/index.html, which contains information about campus safety, crime statistics, and our drug and alcohol abuse and prevention program designed to prevent the unlawful possession, use, and distribution of drugs and alcohol on campus and at university events and activities. This report also contains information on programs and policies designed to prevent and address sexual violence, domestic violence, dating violence, and stalking. Each year, email notification of this website is made to all faculty, staff, and enrolled students. Written notification is also provided to prospective students and employees. Hard copies of the Annual Security & Fire Safety Report may be obtained from the Miami University Police Department at (513) 529-2223.