Medium Voltage Technician
Facilities Management at University of Colorado Boulder welcomes applications for a Medium Voltage Technician! This position performs highly skilled technical work in the operation, maintenance, inspection, adjustment, calibration, and repair of the CU 15kV electrical distribution system (transformers, switches, circuit breakers, relay logic, and metering).
This position performs preventive, predictive, and corrective maintenance on Electrical Generation & Distribution components as directed as well as highly skilled maintenance on industrial electrical systems. Work assignments must be executed safely and efficiently in such a manner as to restore or improve the reliability of the equipment being maintained.
The Utility & Energy Services Group is responsible for the safe, reliable, and efficient production and distribution of steam, chilled water, domestic water, storm water, sewer, and electricity at the University of Colorado Boulder.
The University of Colorado Boulder is committed to building a culturally diverse community of faculty, staff, and students dedicated to contributing to an inclusive campus environment. We are an Equal Opportunity employer, including veterans and individuals with disabilities.
Who We Are
Utility and Energy Services is responsible for the design, operation, maintenance, and repair of the campus’s energy generation and distribution infrastructure for steam (heating), chilled water (cooling), and electricity. We provide the campus community with reliable utility services in a cost-effective and environmentally responsible manner and offer measurement, line locating, performance engineering, regulatory and data management services.
What Your Key Responsibilities Will Be
1. Diagnose, calibrate, read, repair, install, and modify utility instrumentation, metering, and electrical distribution systems; perform power quality analysis; calibrate equipment according to specified standards; remove and replace parts, sub-assemblies and assemblies; keep accurate records; order and stock replacement parts. Testing equipment used may include oscilloscopes, digital frequency meters, digital volt-ohm-meters, computers, and bench testing equipment. Schematic drawings are used as reference for some diagnostic, and repair work.
2. Conduct tests, commissions, and inspect all installed electrical distribution and metering equipment for proper operation, balance, sequence of operations and assembly of components, and ensure compliance with CU Standards, codes, manufacturer's handbook schematics, project specifications, as-built drawings, diagrams and blueprints.
3. Assist in the overhaul of gas and steam turbine generators, boilers, and centrifugal chillers, pumps, motors, and other equipment.
4. Maintain documentation of all repair, calibrations, control points, and alarm and trip points of each piece of equipment; prepare schematic drawings, point-to-point diagrams, control loops, sketch and report to indicate changes or adjustments made to the electrical distribution system.
5. Perform preventive maintenance of electrical control and monitoring systems of distribution system components to include 15kV switching, disassembling, cleaning, repairing and/or replacing, reassembling, and calibrating.
6. Perform preventive maintenance of electrical systems and components of the cogeneration facility which includes a steam turbine generator, two combustion turbine generators, and auxiliary equipment ranging in voltages from 24V to 13.2kV.
7. Perform other duties as assigned.
What We Can Offer
- The salary range is $65,000-$70,000. This position is overtime-eligible.
The University of Colorado offers excellent benefits , including medical, dental, retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO Pass. The University of Colorado Boulder is one of the largest employers in Boulder County and offers an inspiring higher education environment. Learn more about the University of Colorado Boulder .
Be Empowered. Be Proactive. Be Boulder.
What We Require
- High school graduation or GED.
- Three years of experience in maintaining, repairing, preventative maintenance, installing, modifying, and calibrating medium voltage equipment in an industrial, chemical, or utility plant. Including two years of technical experience in medium voltage (greater the 600V) systems, and the maintenance of 15KV equipment such as transformers, switches, and circuit breakers.
What We Would Like You To Have
- An emphasis on electrical distribution systems.
- Thorough knowledge of utility distribution system safety, and environmental compliance requirements.
- Training from a military, accredited institution, or graduation from an apprenticeship program on boilers, turbines, steam, energy, power, heat transfer and power plant instrumentation, control and monitoring systems.
To apply, please submit the following materials:
1. A current resume.
2. A cover letter that specifically tells us how your background and experience align with the requirements, qualifications, and responsibilities of the position.
We may request references at a later time.
Please apply by April 23, 2021 for consideration.
Note: Application materials will not be accepted via email. For consideration, please apply through CU Boulder Jobs .
Posting Contact Information
Posting Contact Name: Boulder Campus Human Resources
Posting Contact Email: Recruiting@colorado.edu