9700 Wade Blvd, Preston Ridge Campus
Frisco, Texas, 75035
We are searching for an experienced Advisor (Part-time)
Provide information and assistance with academic and degree counseling, transfer to and from four (4) year and other schools, TSI testing, dual credit, the Admissions process, and unofficial evaluation of credits earned from other schools. Supply support services to assist satisfactory academic performance.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide information and assistance with academic and degree counseling, transfer to and from four (4) year and other schools, TSI testing, dual credit, the Admissions process, and unofficial evaluation of credits earned from other schools. Supply support services to assist satisfactory academic performance.
- Develop, plan and implement an academic advising program for Collin College students to include individual, group advising and new student orientation programs as requested. Serve as a resource liaison to the assigned academic division. Develop, plan, and implement a group advising program for decided majors as requested by Deans and Directors.
- Advise students within the general student population, as well as special populations (including Veterans, International Students, and ACCESS students) regarding program planning, course selection, schedule changes, transferability, and course withdrawals, as may be assigned.
- Advise academically at-risk students regarding coursework and other college resources by which they can develop the academic skills required to successfully complete college-level work.
- Research degree plans, advise on transfer guides to university partnerships, advise students on Collin College policies, student handbook rules and procedures, and best practices. Perform unofficial degree evaluations in order to effectively and accurately advise incoming transfer students about their remaining courses in order to fulfill the requirements of the District and in order for them to transfer into their major.
- Participate in evening advising, provide leadership and supervision for staff. May be assigned to serve as advisor for Weekend College. Provide leadership in the area of unofficial degree planning for students and in the evaluation of student's transcripts.
- Update Advising web page and department publications, as needed. Assist in the development of the Advising Times newsletter for faculty and staff as required. Assist the Director with updates as needed.
- Assist in developing and implementing new programs for academic advising including work with programs such as concurrent enrollment, TAA (Trade Adjustment Act), students, New Student Programs and study skills classes (intervention.)
- May be responsible for training of part-time and work study students, in addition to interviewing prospective student employees.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Perform all duties and maintain all standards in accordance with college policies, procedures and Core Values.
Bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited institution and one (1) year of full-time experience in student academic and career counseling services OR two (2) years of part-time experience in student academic and career counseling services.
Master's degree from a regionally accredited institution preferred.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of all various college departments and degree programs
- Knowledge of Pre-requisite courses and requirements needed for applying to degree programs
- Knowledge of transfer requirements to four year bridge and degree programs
- Knowledge of District rules, policies, and practices
- Knowledge of Collin College’s prerequisites and University Partners' transfer requirements/equivalencies
- Interpersonal and organizational skills
- Verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to assist students with TSI testing, developmental education, Dual Credit, etc.
- Ability to offer some financial aid information
- Ability to explain advantages and future importance of Honors courses
- Ability to maintain a positive attitude
- Ability to work independently or collaboratively in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to effectively communicate with individuals from diverse cultural backgrounds
- Ability to establish a connection with the student who is struggling academically and to help him or her to formulate an action plan to maintain satisfactory progress
- Ability to suggest appropriate methods of remediation
Physical Demands and Working Conditions:
Sedentary Work - Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally, a negligible amount of force frequently, and/or constantly having to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects, including the human body. Sedentary work involves sitting most of the time. Jobs are sedentary if walking and standing are required only occasionally and all other sedentary criteria are met. Positions in this class typically require talking, hearing, seeing, grasping, standing, walking and repetitive motions. Relatively free from unpleasant environmental conditions or hazards. Office environment. Little physical effort required.
***This is a Security Sensitive position. Therefore candidates will be subject to a criminal background check.***
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative summary of the types of duties and responsibilities that will be required of the positions given this title and shall not be construed as a declaration of the specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position. Employees may be requested to perform job-related tasks other than those specifically presented in this description. Fair Labor Standards Act (exempt/non-exempt) is designated by position. The employer actively supports Americans with Disabilities Act and will consider reasonable accommodations.
Employment Type: Part-time Staff
Compensation Type: Hourly
Compensation Range: $20.82 - 20.82
For any employment questions, please contact HR at (972) 985-3783 or firstname.lastname@example.org .
Collin College provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics.
More searches like this
- Administrative Not specified Part Time jobs in McKinney
- Student Affairs Not specified Part Time jobs in McKinney
- Academic Advising & Academic Support Services Not specified Part Time jobs in McKinney
- Admissions, Enrollment, Retention & Registrar Not specified Part Time jobs in McKinney
- Counseling Not specified Part Time jobs in McKinney