Director, University Housing and Residence Life
To create a Posting, first complete the information on this screen, then click the 'Next' button or select the page in the left hand navigation menu. Proceed through all sections completing all necessary information. To submit the Posting to Human Resources, you must go to the 'Posting Summary Page' by clicking on the 'Next' button until you reach the Posting Summary Page or select Posting Summary Page from the left navigation menu. Once a summary page appears, hover your mouse over the orange Action button for a list of possible approval step options.
Working Title Director, University Housing and Residence Life Department University Housing Compensation Title Position Number 30023752 Position Status Regular Work Schedule
Full time. NKU business hours are Monday-Friday 8:15-4:30. This position will require nights, weekends, and being on call.
Hours per Week 37.5 Months per Year 12 Commitment to Inclusive Excellence
Northern Kentucky University is an Equal Opportunity/Equal Access/Affirmative Action institution. We embrace inclusiveness, equity, and global awareness in all dimensions of our work and seek excellence through diversity among our students, administrators, faculty, and staff. Application by members of diverse groups is encouraged.
Purpose of Position
Reporting to the Assistant Vice President for Student Affairs, the Director of University Housing and Residence Life provides departmental leadership for all aspects of University Housing operations and residential student engagement. The Director manages staff and acts as a liaison with administration, students, and community. The Director manages two residential villages (which include traditional residence halls, two suite style buildings, a modified apartment complex, and one modified traditional building serving a total residential student population of approximately 1900. The Director serves the interest of all University Housing students, ensures smooth operations, and guarantees quality customer service for all constituents (students, campus partners, prospective families, etc.). In addition, the Director assists the Assistant Vice President with programs, activities, and tasks related to the overall mission of student engagement and development.
1. Cultivate an environment that promotes residential student engagement, co-curricular programming, and a sense of belonging
2. Oversee the creation of departmental strategic goals, translate them into specific goals and objectives within the Office of University Housing, and communicate these goals to department members and campus constituents
3. Supervise the Associate Director of Residence Life and provide indirect supervision for one three full time Residence Life Coordinators, six Assistant Residence Life Coordinators (graduate assistants), and approximately 80 Resident Assistants, Desk Attendants, and other undergraduate students.
4. Serve “on call” to attend to emergencies, crises, and significant student issues 24 hours per day and seven days a week
5. Assess and coordinate living/ learning communities and affinity housing populations to provide co-curricular learning experiences and campus connection opportunities for residential students
6. Prepare unit goals and objectives for residential education and residential enrollment management
7. Ensure co-curricular programming occurs in the residential villages in line with the vision, and values of the Division of Student Affairs and Northern Kentucky University.
8. Assess and oversee residential living/learning communities with best practices in student development and research to create engaging, community-focused, learning environments.
9. Provide direction for the housing student conduct process involving alleged violations of the University Housing contract
1. Supervise the Associate Director of Housing Operations and provide indirect supervision for four full time team members (Budget and Administration Coordinator, Housing Assignments Coordinator, Housing Operations Coordinator and Marketing Coordinator), a Gradaute Assistant for Housing Operations, and approximately 40 academic year and summer student staff members.
2. Provide direct management and supervision of the central housing office, coordination of housing processes, management of residential based emergency response, and crisis management protocols
3. Assess and oversee the on campus housing student conduct process, residence life, facilities/housekeeping, and housing operation processes
4. Manage and adjudicate requests for exception and appeals of housing contract policies, first year residency requirement, meal plan exemptions and policies relating to housing assignments and disputes/inquiries
5. Collaborate with various stakeholders to ensure quality and organized residential housing for summer residents, conference services, summer bridge programs, mentor outreach, and new student summer orientation programs
6. Manage the marketing efforts for the University Housing Office and collaborate with areas in Enrollment and Degree Management and University Marketing and Communication
7. Coordinate the collection of various data such as crime statistics, department annual report data, retention, and quality of life survey data.
1. Manage six auxiliary budgets totaling over $8.4 million and allocate funds for student program development, facility projects, department initiatives, and professional/paraprofessional development
2. Develop business and financial plan for revenue generation
3. Ensure a high level of customer service for all groups and individuals utilizing University Housing space and services
4. Supervise procurement processes and provide leadership on facility enhancements and renovations
5. Research and develop specification for bids, approve department requisitions, and remain current with housing, facilities, and residence life trends
6. Forecast and manage occupancy, manage revenue and expenditures; and oversee technology initiatives including department website, internet, contract and summer conferencing administration
7. Evaluate departmental progress by conducting ongoing assessments with staff, students, and departmental stakeholders
8. Create yearly budget projections and propose rate increases based on fiscal needs that are vetted by numerous campus constituencies with final approval coming through the Board of Regents
1. Provide direction and support for the residential village Maintenance/Housekeeping Superintendent, Maintenance Supervisor, and facility staff during peak housing transition periods
2. Serve as a key member of RFP development and selection process to potentially establish private/public partnerships for University Housing growth and development
3. Lead workgroups comprised of various campus stakeholders to plan for new housing construction and significant renovation projects
4. Ensure collaboration with physical plant personnel regarding university housing facilities
5. Develop and implements repair and replacement plans for University Housing and long term facility renovations
Complete tasks and projects as assigned by the Assistant Vice President and Vice President for Student Affairs
Master’s required, Master’s in Higher Education Administration or related field strongly preferred. 6 years of related work experience and 5 years of management experience required. Must have excellent programming, supervision, organization, presentation and marketing skills. Must be able to communicate effectively in both oral and written context. Must have working knowledge of student development theory and possess basic counseling skills. Must be able to work collaboratively with internal and external constituents.
Any candidate who is offered this position will be required to go through a pre-employment criminal background check as mandated by state law.
Minimum Education Master's Degree Preferred Education Master's Degree Minimum Experience 6 years Salary tbd Pay Grade UN
Requisition Number 2021S1341 Job Open Date 04/07/2021 Job Close Date Open Until Filled Yes Quick Link https://jobs.nku.edu/postings/10206 Is this an internal only posting? Supplemental Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * What is the highest level of education attained?
(Open Ended Question)
- * Why are you interested in this position?
(Open Ended Question)
- Cover Letter/Letter of Application
More searches like this
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Newport
- Business & Administrative Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Newport
- Business & Administrative Support Not specified Full Time jobs in Newport
- Student Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Newport
- Other Student Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Newport