Assistant Director of Planned Giving
DEPARTMENT: Planned Giving
JOB SUMMARY: Fairfield University is seeking a dynamic Assistant Director of Planned Giving to join its multi-faceted planned giving department within the University Advancement Division. The Assistant Director will play an integral part in achieving Advancement’s strategic goal of significantly increasing support through planned gifts from alumni, parents and friends of the University. The Assistant Director will report to the Senior Director of Planned Giving and will be responsible for managing a portfolio of prospects from qualification to stewardship, conducting visits, assisting with marketing and events, and achieving set metrics and goals.
EDUCATION: Bachelor’s degree required.
EXPERIENCE: At least 3 years of frontline fundraising experience is required, with a demonstrated ability to achieve and exceed goals. Knowledge of planned giving vehicles and experience in soliciting and closing planned gifts is also required. Applicants who do not meet these requirements will not be considered.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
- Experience soliciting and securing planned gift commitments
such as charitable bequests, beneficiary designations, gifts
involving retirement plan assets and life insurance policies,
charitable gift annuities, charitable remainder trusts, and other
outright and deferred planned gifts.
- Ability to engage donors, understand their charitable and
financial goals, and prepare charitable gift proposals for the
planned gift vehicle(s) that will best accomplish those
- Knowledge of moves management in order to identify, qualify,
cultivate and solicit planned giving prospects at appropriate gift
- Experience making cold calls and other introductory contacts to
secure appointments with prospects.
- An aptitude to network with and solicit high net worth
- Excellent time management and organizational skills.
- Must excel at writing, interviewing and listening.
- Ability to effectively build and maintain productive and
collaborative relationships with internal and external
- Goal driven and self-motivated.
- Able to work well independently and with others.
- Commitment to the mission of Fairfield University.
- Ability to effectively communicate Fairfield University’s
mission and case for philanthropic support. Experience in higher
education fundraising is preferred.
- Proficiency with basic computer programs such as Microsoft
- Experience with Raiser’s Edge (or other donor management
software) and planned giving software (such as PG Calc or
Crescendo) strongly preferred.
WORK CONDITIONS: Travel 50% or more per month to achieve visit and other goals is required, which involves local, regional and some overnight travel and driving at night. Occasional attendance at evening and weekend events required. Valid driver’s license required.
1. Manage a portfolio of 75 -100 prospects:
- Develop a cultivation and solicitation strategy for each
prospect in order to secure new planned giving revenue and new
Bellarmine Society members (Fairfield’s planned giving
- Conduct timely moves management on all prospects in portfolio
to maximize fundraising potential for the University.
- Ensure all assigned prospects receive at least one meaningful
contact (phone call, email, letter or visit) per month as part of
the qualification, cultivation and solicitation process. Thoroughly
document all communications in Raiser’s Edge.
- Update and maintain donor database with interactions,
opportunities, plans, and outcomes to produce comprehensive
understanding to be use in identifying prospect stages and
- Provide ongoing stewardship to planned giving donors so that
planned gift commitments remain in place.
- Solicit all assigned prospects for current gifts, ensuring all
alumni are being solicited to help increase Alumni Participation
- Help build a planned giving presence in other regions.
- Develop strategies to continuously identify new planned giving
- Work with Prospect Management and Senior Director on a regular
basis to identify prospects for reassignment to and out of
2. Achieve metrics assigned to this position:
- Meet or exceed goals for generating new planned giving
- Meet or exceed goals for adding new members to the Bellarmine
- Conduct a minimum of 100 personal visits per year to new
planned giving prospects and existing Bellarmine Society
- Produce high quality, effective marketing materials and
complete all assigned marketing activities in a timely manner and
- Develop and implement a plan to increase stewardship of planned
giving society members.
3. Assist the Senior Director in expanding the marketing program to educate our constituents about the benefits of planned giving and to generate leads.
4. Work with the Senior Director to increase stewardship outreach to existing Bellarmine Society members in order to sustain current planned gift commitments.
5. Assist in planning the annual Bellarmine Society luncheon and other events such as seminars on estate and retirement planning
6. Participate in joint prospect visits with members of the Major Gifts and Annual Fund teams as necessary.
7. Work with the Office of Alumni Relations to develop and implement prospect engagement and solicitation strategies for the 45th reunion through 50th reunion classes, and post-50th reunion classes.
8. Stay abreast of tax law changes and continuously enhance knowledge of planed giving vehicles and benefits.
9. Learn and continuously enhance knowledge and understanding of Fairfield’s mission, priorities, history, and characteristics of alumni base.
10. Participate in the professional development of the department. This involves:
- Promoting efficiency and courtesy throughout the University
- Participating in departmental/staff meetings as
- Serving as a responsible committee representative as
- Communicating effectively with supervisor concerning pertinent
11. Promotes safe and secure working conditions. This involves:
- Promoting the proper utilization of equipment, tools, and
- Notifying supervisor immediately regarding any unsafe working
12. Performs other related duties as dictated by responsibilities or directed by supervisor.
Duties may be changed and/or be added at any time.
Disclaimer: The above information on this description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.
Advancement - Admin
All offers of employment are contingent upon a satisfactory background check.
Fairfield University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer, committed to excellence through diversity, and, in this spirit, particularly welcomes applications from women, persons of color, Veterans, and members of historically underrepresented groups. The University will provide reasonable accommodations to all qualified individuals with a disability.
Load a resume or CV first, then upload supporting documents including a cover letter at the bottom of the third page under the "My Experience" section where it says to upload a Resume/CV. You will be able to upload up to 5 other documents in this section. You will be unable to edit your application, so please have all documents available before applying. Faculty Positions : If you need to upload more than 5 documents, please either combine them to upload or email the additional documents to the applicable contact in the job description. Staff positions : If you need to upload more than 5 documents, please either combine them to upload or email them to firstname.lastname@example.org
More searches like this
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Fairfield
- Business & Administrative Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Fairfield
- Financial Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Fairfield
- Community Relations & Institutional Outreach Not specified Full Time jobs in Fairfield
- Development & Advancement Not specified Full Time jobs in Fairfield