Lecturer of Language Education
The Boston University Wheelock College of Education & Human Development invites applications for a full-time Lecturer of Language Education with a focus on PreK-12 English as a Second Language Licensure. The Department of Language and Literacy Education, in which this position will be housed, is a community of scholars and educators who embrace multilingualism and multiliteracies and who share an explicit commitment to combatting the deficit framing of racially and linguistically minoritized students. To that end, we are seeking a colleague whose teaching carries a strong social justice orientation, who can enhance our efforts to build equitable and just education environments for multilingual learners, and who can expand our existing partnerships with the Boston Public Schools and surrounding school districts.
- Teach undergraduate and graduate courses in areas such as TESOL methods, SEI endorsement, biliteracy, and practicum seminar
- Oversee the EdM in Teaching English as a Second Language (Licensure track) Program and actively engage with our undergraduate major
- Provide academic advisement of undergraduate students and graduate students in ESL licensure programs
- Lead placement and supervision of ESL teacher candidates
- Build positive relationships with local schools, school districts, Massachusetts Department of Elementary and Secondary Education, and state professional organizations of language education teachers
This two-year position begins July 1, 2021. Applicants from diverse backgrounds and with bilingual/multilingual proficiency are strongly encouraged to apply. Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience.
- Earned doctorate in TESOL, Applied Linguistics, Applied Second Language Studies, Bilingual Education, Educational Linguistics, Language and Literacy, or a closely related field with a focus on the education of English learners/multilingual learners
- Teaching experience in U.S. PK-12 education
- Experience teaching TESOL and/or SEI endorsement courses at the university level
- Knowledge of ESL education in Massachusetts public schools and ability to network with ESL educators in the Greater Boston area
- Bilingual or multilingual proficiency
- Experience directing a language program or a teacher education program
Inquiries may be directed to the chair of the Search Committee: Dr. Yasuko Kanno (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Review of applications will begin May 15, 2021 and continue until the position is filled.
Applicants should submit the following documents electronically to https://academicjobsonline.org/ajo/jobs/18437.
Application Materials Required:
- Cover letter describing teaching, service, and research experiences and suitability for the position
- Current curriculum vitae
- Names and contact information of two reference letter writers
Boston University is an equal opportunity employer and gives consideration for employment to qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, military service, or because of marital, parental, or veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law. If you would like more information about your EEO rights as an applicant under the law, please download the EEO brochure. If you require a reasonable accommodation to complete the employment application, please contact the Equal Opportunity office at 617-353-6474 or email@example.com.