Deerfield Academy announces a search for a full-time position as College Advisor. The College Advisor works with individual students and their parents in the year long process of applying to college. We’re looking for candidates who enjoy working with adolescents, bring the best out of their students, and are interested in working collaboratively with colleagues. As a private boarding school, Deerfield actively seeks to increase the diversity of its faculty and develop an inclusive community.
Deerfield offers an unmatched environment for growing professionally. As colleagues, we enjoy supporting each other and improving our craft as educators. Near the Five Colleges (Amherst, Smith, Mount Holyoke, Hampshire College, and UMass Amherst), Deerfield’s 300-acre campus hosts exceptional facilities that enable dynamic teaching both in and out of the classroom. Our students are engaging and excited to learn—and they are willing to work hard at their studies. Outside the classroom, they find ways to contribute to the community and enjoy themselves.
Our teachers are committed to ongoing renewal. We seek candidates who are genuinely committed to their own growth, who are eager to work with colleagues to review the programs we offer, and who can foster critical thinking, empathy, and determination in our students. As a boarding school, our faculty teach, mentor, and model—in the classroom, in the dorm, at the dining hall, on the fields, and in spaces for the arts.
Diversity is essential to Deerfield’s success. Deerfield actively seeks to increase the diversity of its faculty. Diverse perspectives within our school population fuel creative and innovative thinking, build empathy and consideration, and provide varied skills and experiences from which the entire community can benefit. Deerfield actively seeks candidates who are members of or support traditionally underrepresented groups—especially in terms of race, sexual orientation, religious, ethnic and socioeconomic background.
ABOUT THIS POSITION:
- The primary responsibilities include individual and group counseling, writing the school’s recommendation, developing lists of colleges for students to consider, and advising about standardized testing, summer opportunities, scholarships, financial aid, course of study and personal presentation.
- Supervise co-curricular activities (e.g. varsity or sub-varsity teams, community service activities, clubs, publications, etc.)
- Other responsibilities include those that are normally part of a boarding school commitment: dormitory association, community meals, committee work, and other routine duties.
- Previous experience in College Advising or College Admissions is valuable.
- Common sense, strong interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing.
- Interest and skill working with adolescents and demonstrated multicultural competency are essential.
- The desire to live and work in a residential community, and the ability to work as part of a team.
- The interest, initiative, and energy to thrive within a lively and fast-paced workplace.
Deerfield Academy is a private, coeducational boarding school located in Western Massachusetts with 650 students and 140 faculty. The Academy was founded in 1797 and has no religious affiliation.
Deerfield Academy is committed to a policy of Equal Opportunity Employment and nondiscrimination against any individual on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, transgender status, marital status, national origin, ancestry, genetic information, age, disability, status as a veteran or being a member of the Reserves or National guard, or any other classification protected under state or federal law.
More searches like this
- Administrative Non-Tenured Track Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Deerfield
- Student Affairs Non-Tenured Track Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Deerfield
- Academic Advising & Academic Support Services Non-Tenured Track Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Deerfield
- Career Services Non-Tenured Track Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Deerfield