Instructional Designer 999339
Xavier University is part of the 500-year-old Jesuit Catholic tradition of academic excellence in the liberal art and is strongly committed to enhancing equity, inclusion, and diversity. These values are central to our mission . We strive for a climate of respect and inclusiveness that welcomes and supports members from diverse backgrounds and life experiences, is committed unreservedly to open and free inquiry, and deliberately seeks out multiple perspectives.
Xavier’s Instructional Design & Technology (IDT) team provides the training and support for online programs and courses. Currently, Xavier has 12 fully online programs and additional online courses offered in on-ground programs. More than 300 faculty have completedIntroduction to Online Course Design(IOCD), Xavier’s online training course, which runs approximately four times per year. The IDT team also supports training and support for on-ground courses, particularly related to LMS (Canvas) use and other instructional technologies.
The Instructional Designer will join a team of three, including a Lead Instructional Designer and Instructional Technologist, who partner with faculty to design courses in support of Xavier’s online learning initiatives. The Instructional Designer serves as an instructor for IOCD and supports faculty through the online course design and build process. The Instructional Designer provides faculty members with a framework and timeline for their projects and assists with determining course organization, assessment strategies, learning activities, and content delivery methods, in adherence to Xavier’s criteria for effective online instruction. The Instructional Designer helps identify and resolve copyright and fair use issues in online learning, and supports faculty in adhering to usability and accessibility standards. The Instructional Designer supports the quality and consistency of online learning with customized design templates and course design guidelines. The IDT team works closely with the Center for Teaching Excellence (CTE) and Digital Media Services (DMS) to align course design and technology integration techniques with Xavier’s pedagogical standards and Jesuit values. The Instructional Designer also collaborates with the CTE and DMS to offer faculty development programs, including workshops, webinars, book discussion groups, and affiliate groups. The Instructional Designer develops digital content, including interactive learning objects, as needed for instructional purposes.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provides instructional design support to faculty members with an emphasis on online and blended course design.
- Serves as instructor for Introduction to Online Course Design (IOCD) to train faculty in designing and teaching online courses.
- Assists faculty members with the instructional design process, using backward design principles to guide the planning of courses that align learning outcomes, assessments and activities.
- Provides faculty with a framework and timeline for their course development process.
- Promotes adherence to quality standards, including expectations for coherence, community-building and usability, with attention to Jesuit pedagogy principles.
- Stays abreast of Accessibility in Higher Education, including needs, resources and adaptations, and assists faculty in creating accessible online instructional materials.
- Works with faculty to identify and resolve copyright and fair use issues in online learning.
- Provides faculty with support for the delivery of online courses, including by facilitating affinity groups and book discussion groups.
- Designs and delivers training that utilizes effective pedagogical practices, addresses faculty and student needs, and provides options for the improvement of instruction, primarily through technology-based solutions.
- Creates text-based, graphic and digital content, including interactive learning objects, as required by online courses and other distance training/teaching modes.
- Bachelor’s Degree in instructional design or a closely related field.
- A minimum of 3-5 years of professional experience supporting faculty teaching online.
- Knowledge and application of instructional design theories, adult learning theories, and best practices for online course design.
- Demonstrated ability to work with and support a variety of people with varying skills, abilities, and personalities.
- Experience working with a learning management system and other instructional technologies.
- Experience developing effective training in online and on-ground modalities.
- Basic competencies with design and courseware authoring applications.
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills.
- Excellent planning and organizational skills.
- Familiarity with accessibility compliance issues including section 508 ADA compliance.
- Familiarity with copyright and fair use guidelines.
- A master’s degree in instructional design or a closely related field.
- Experience working in a post-secondary educational institution.
- Experience using the Instructure Canvas LMS.
- Experience with project management.
- Proficiency with Articulate Storyline.
- Experience interpreting and applying copyright and fair use guidelines in the context of online learning and multimedia design.
- Basic graphic and visual design skills.
- Basic competency in the use of HTML.
Xavier is an Equal Opportunity employer committed to enhancing equity, inclusion and diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without discrimination on the basis of race, skin color, ethnicity, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, marital status, veteran status or disability.
To ensure consideration, interested candidates should submit a resume, cover letter, and the names, addresses and telephone numbers of three professional references on Xavier University's website by April 21, 2021 . In their cover letter, candidates are asked to include a brief statement on how they might support/contribute to Xavier’s commitment to diversity and inclusion.
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Cincinnati
- Arts Not specified Full Time jobs in Cincinnati
- Design & Graphic Arts Not specified Full Time jobs in Cincinnati
- Education Not specified Full Time jobs in Cincinnati
- Instructional Technology & Design Not specified Full Time jobs in Cincinnati