Vice Provost for Global and Immersive Studies (16985)
The Office of the Provost at American University (AU) invites applications for the newly created role of Vice Provost for Global and Immersive Studies. A member of the provost’s leadership team, the vice provost provides senior leadership and direction for the following programs and functions within the Academic Affairs division: AU Abroad, the Washington Semester/Gap Program, the English Language and Training Academy (ELTA), and the International Accelerator Programs (International Accelerator Program, Master’s Accelerator Program, and American Collegiate Program). The vice provost oversees new program development, business outreach, and program and partnership development; manages staff personnel in the program units; and leads student engagement initiatives in these areas. The unit broadly manages short-term undergraduate study opportunities created and offered in conjunction with partner organizations (at AU or study away). The Vice Provost for Global and Immersive Studies works closely with other vice provosts and deans on high-level planning and management decisions to support the provost’s strategic and academic plans. The individual in this role will also represent the provost in university-wide policy discussions, advisory project teams, and committees pertaining to programs under their purview, including international education and study abroad. Qualified candidates may be eligible for a faculty appointment in an appropriate academic unit, with teaching responsibilities subject to negotiation.
1. Oversight and administration: Provide administrative oversight of direct report units—AU Abroad, Washington Semester/Gap, English Language and Training Academy (ELTA), and International Accelerator Programs (International Accelerator Program, Master’s Accelerator Program, and American Collegiate Program)—to ensure accomplishment of units’ goals and expected outcomes. Serve on committees (including the Shorelight/AU Steering Committee) related to short-term programs, off-campus studies, and international education or study abroad. Oversee historically large programs that use partnerships to provide short-term study opportunities at American University or abroad. Promote collaboration across program areas to exploit synergies in operations where appropriate. Collaborate on the furtherance of imperatives outlined in the university’s strategic plan pertaining to the student experience, learning, strategic partnerships, and “how AU works.” Functional areas include:
- Strategic partnership development and implementation
- Hiring, training, and supporting faculty in program areas
- Assessing and updating curricula, maintaining consistency in academic standards
- Academic advising for students enrolled in unit programs
- Operational oversight of all aspects of the program life cycle, including but not limited to recruitment, marketing and communication, enrollment, scheduling, budgeting, and student support.
2. Program and partnership development/management: Provide leadership for activities and initiatives to promote business relationships, institutional affiliations, international outreach, and program development. Identify and cultivate new revenue sources and markets for short-term study programs and international or study abroad programs. Provide strategic direction and potential revision to programs as needed to ensure student enrollment growth and to create positive student experiences. Collaborate with other units on recruitment initiatives. Act as a central contact point for external/international inquiries about academic affiliations and relationships pertaining to short-term study programs such as the Washington Semester/Gap, AU Abroad, and ELTA. Oversee academic and administrative matters for International Accelerator Programs and any new programs launched in the unit.
Essential Functions (Continued)
3. Personnel management: Provide supervision and guidance for direct reports, including four direct reports at a director or executive director level. Oversee unit-wide staff merit process to ensure accuracy and fairness across the unit in compliance with HR policies. Complete performance management evaluations for direct reports and provide vision for goal setting for each respective program and functional area under the Global and Immersive Studies unit. Work in consultation with the dean of faculty and deans of AU’s schools and colleges on appointment, reappointment, supervision, and evaluation for faculty providing academic direction and instruction in the unit’s various programs.
4. Budget and operational oversight: Manage implementation of new programs during start-up phase of operations, including staffing and assessment of financial performance. Provide oversight in development of budgets for new programming and ensure unit budget financial performance is met for all program areas. Collaborate with Provost’s Office budget team as needed.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
- Full time
Required Education and Experience
- Master’s degree, PhD, or other advanced degree
- At least 10 years of experience in higher education
- Proven success in effective leadership of units or programs
- Evidence of collaborative work involving deliberation, process, and consultation
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Strategic thinking and ability to execute
- Working knowledge of information technology systems in an academic environment
Preferred Education and Experience
- At least 5 years of increasingly responsible experience in academic administration, program directorship, or faculty administrator roles
- Track record of developing and managing international and study abroad programs and/or domestic experiential learning programs, ideally including academic programs involving partnerships with other institutions
- Faculty teaching experience
Additional Eligibility Qualifications
- Hiring offers for this position are contingent upon successful completion of a background check.
- Click here to learn about American University's unique benefit options.
Current American University Employees:
If you are a current full-time or part-time staff member at American University, please log intoAsuccessfulU through themyAU portal . Once in AsuccessfulU, please select the Careers tile which will take you to our internal career page.
For more information or assistance with the American University careers site, email email@example.com .
American University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action institution that operates in compliance with applicable laws and regulations. The university does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex (including pregnancy), age, sexual orientation, disability, marital status, personal appearance, gender identity and expression, family responsibilities, political affiliation, source of income, veteran status, an individual’s genetic information or any other bases under federal or local laws (collectively "Protected Bases") in its programs and activities.
Nearest Major Market: Washington DC
More searches like this
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.
- Academic Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.
- Distance Education Programs Not specified Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.
- International Programs Not specified Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.
- Other Academic Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.