Theatrical Technical Director
Theatrical Technical Director
Department: Drama Department
Duration of Position: Full year / Full time
Employee Type: Administrator
Posting Date: 04/07/2021
Union Representation: Not Applicable
Posting Number: AS055P
About Vassar College
Located in the scenic Mid-Hudson Valley, Vassar College is a highly selective, residential, coeducational liberal arts college. Vassar is deeply committed to fostering a community that reflects the values of a liberal arts education and to promoting an environment of equality, diversity and inclusiveness. Vassar seeks to create a pluralistic community for all staff, faculty and students. Vassar College is an Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity employer, and applications from women, individuals with disabilities and members of historically underrepresented groups are especially encouraged. Vassar College is a smoke-free, tobacco-free campus.
Position Summary and Responsibilities
Under the direction of the Drama department faculty, the Theatrical Technical Director supervises the construction, preparation and organization of scenic elements and storage areas for the Drama department. The Theatrical Technical Director oversees student work, functions as shop foreperson, manages student work crews, and performs duties needed to ensure the safe and efficient operation of theater performance and shop areas. Production design opportunities may be available based on departmental needs. Anticipated start date is August 2, 2021.
- Oversees work study students and drama student crew to complete
build and install of scenic elements for all department productions
including instructing students in proper use of tools and equipment
in the scene shop.
- Maintains inventory of stock sets, furniture, props
- Organizes student crew assignments in conjunction with Drama
- Oversees and implements safety protocols for all working in
scenic shop and theatre.
- Purchases all materials and supplies needed for shop and
construction based on department needs and budget
- Assists in planning, coordinating and overseeing theatre and
other shop related areas for any special events.
- Develop and teach three 6 six week sections of Drama 103: Intro
to Stagecraft. A production based course that covers all aspects of
technical theater within the academic year.
- Interfaces with outside user groups.
- Performs related duties as required by the Drama department.
- Bachelor of Arts degree required. Degree in drama/theater with
emphasis in technical theater preferred. Two years of college and
four years full time professional experience may be substituted for
a Bachelor’s degree.
- A minimum of three to five years of experience in an
educational theatre setting.
- Knowledge of modern scenic construction techniques, stage
rigging systems and basic scenic painting techniques.
- Operation and maintenance of stage equipment and
- Knowledge of safety precautions as represented in OSHA
- Ability to assess and generate and maintain production and shop
- Knowledge of computer Aided drafting. Preferably Vectorworks
- Ability to work and communicate to students and student interns
using logic and analysis to identify the strengths and weaknesses
of different approaches to a problem.
- Must be able to meet schedules and timelines.
- Ability to problem-solve and troubleshoot technical problems
encountered in theater productions.
- Effectively oversee and direct the activities of
- Establish and maintain cooperative relationships with students,
faculty, staff and user groups.
- Must be able to recognize potential safety hazards, correct
them, and use safe work practices.
- Must be able to move, position and place loads and objects up to and including 50 pounds without assistance and loads greater than 50 pounds with assistance.
Special Instructions to Applicants
To complete your on-line application, you will be required to attach your resume, cover letter, and contact information for 3 professional references. All attachments must be in PDF format. Review of applications will begin immediately. If you have any questions, please contact Human Resources, 845-437-5820.
For full consideration applicants should apply by:
All applicants must apply online at: https://employment.vassar.edu/postings/1845.