Dean of the College of Nursing
The University of Alabama in Huntsville invites applications and nominations for the position of Dean of the College of Nursing. The Dean serves as the chief academic, administrative, and fiscal officer for the College and reports to the Provost and Executive Vice President for Academic Affairs. The Dean provides leadership to advance the College’s mission and realize its strategic plan. The Dean fosters outstanding teaching, student learning, and persistence to graduation; research and scholarly works; and service to the university, the community, and the profession. Finally, the Dean is responsible for all day-to-day activities of the College, including curriculum development, faculty recruitment and evaluation, planning, budget, student recruitment and retention, academic quality, and research productivity in terms of publishing, extramural research funding, and Ph.D. and DNP production.
Qualifications: Candidates for the position of the College of Nursing Dean must hold a Ph.D. as well as academic and scholarly accomplishments meriting appointment to the rank of professor with tenure in the College.
The eligible candidate will be able to
- Advance undergraduate and graduate enrollment, student retention, and persistence to graduation by promoting excellence in teaching, learning, and student success at all levels
- Demonstrate visionary leadership and strategic planning
- Oversee program offerings and curriculum development
- Lead accreditation activities for the College of Nursing
- Demonstrate a record of successful collaborative leadership and effective fiscal management
- Show an established research trajectory with a record of seeking and receiving extramural funding
- Support faculty development in research, including mentoring others in seeking and receiving extramural funding
- Display respect for diverse contributions of faculty and staff and demonstrate effective communication and interpersonal skills
- Show a commitment to recruitment, development, and support of faculty, staff, and students from diverse backgrounds
- Have an interest and record of participating in advancement and fundraising activities
- Display a record of managing and prioritizing financial, human, and facility resources
The College: The College of Nursing at UAH is a NLN Center of Excellence in Nursing Education dedicated to educating and inspiring individuals to become nurse leaders who act with integrity, discover through scientific methods, and advocate for the best health care experiences of people and communities in a complex and evolving health care environment. With nearly 75 faculty and 1300 undergraduate and graduate students, the College maintains more than 1,600 contracts with healthcare agencies throughout the nation to support clinical placement of students in our various programs. The College’s Learning and Technology Resource Center for high fidelity simulations is state of the art. The College also oversees a Faculty/Staff Clinic that provides primary care services to UAH employees. The undergraduate programs at UAH provide multiple pathways to the Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) including some that involve partnerships with local community colleges. At the graduate level, the College offers an MSN with multiple concentrations, and several pathways to the DNP or Ph.D. in Nursing Science. Details on the many pathways to nursing degrees at UAH can be found here
The University: UAH offers 88 degree-granting programs that meet the highest standards of excellence, including 41 bachelor’s, 31 master’s, and 16 doctoral degree programs through its seven Academic Colleges: Arts, Humanities, and Social Sciences; Business; Education; Engineering; Nursing; Professional Studies; and Science as well as the Graduate School. UAH has a vibrant Honors College that includes a special research-oriented track for Honors nursing students. Over the past decade, the University has implemented strategic and campus master plans that have resulted in substantial growth. The University has undertaken more than $160 million in new construction. UAH enrollment is approximately 10,000, including approximately 1,900 graduate students. The undergraduate class is composed of approximately 42% women and 58% men. UAH is number one in Alabama both for early career pay after graduation and for the economic outcomes of its graduates. The Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching rates UAH as a “high” research activity institution.
UAH is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges. The College of Nursing is accredited through the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE).
The Greater Huntsville Community: Huntsville has an international reputation as a high-tech center with ties to NASA, the Army’s Redstone Arsenal, and major government and private research organizations. UAH is the anchor tenant of Cummings Research Park, the second largest university-related research park in the United States, and home to approximately 300 companies. For more information on the Greater Huntsville Community, visit http://www.huntsvillealabamausa.com
The College of Nursing collaborates closely with multiple healthcare entities throughout the area including two major hospitals systems:
- The Huntsville Hospital Health System is the third largest publicly-owned hospital system in the nation with 1,800 beds. Huntsville Hospital serves as a regional referral and level 1 trauma center for more than a million people in north Alabama and southern Tennessee.
- Crestwood Medical Center is a 180-bed full-service acute care hospital staffed by approximately 1,000 healthcare professionals affiliated with Community Health Systems (CHS).
Applications, nominations, and confidential inquiries are welcome. Applicants should submit a cover letter describing professional experience as it relates to the requirements of the position; a current resume/curriculum vita; and the names, addresses, telephone numbers and email addresses of five references. Please send nominations or applications to firstname.lastname@example.org. For additional information or questions, please contact Bill Wilkerson, Dean of the Honors College and Chair of the Search Committee at email@example.com or Michele Kennedy, Search Committee Support at firstname.lastname@example.org . For full consideration, applications should be submitted by May 28, 2021, although applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
The University of Alabama in Huntsville is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer of minorities/ females/ veterans/ disabled.
Please refer to log number: 21/22-453
Apply for Dean of the College of Nursing
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly