Maintenance Mechanic - General (Facilities)- Riverside City College
Maintenance Mechanic - General (Facilities)- Riverside City College
Interested candidates must apply by the deadline listed below by 8:00 p.m., Pacific Standard Time.
Support Staff (Classified / Confidential)
Physical location of the position:
$5,187 - $6,314
Is this position categorically (grant) funded?
Under the supervision of the area Manager, performs skilled mechanical maintenance duties in a variety of trades at the college. Assignments may include construction, diagnosis, heating and ventilation, air conditioning and refrigeration, electrical, painting, plumbing and locksmith duties and performs preventive maintenance and routine servicing of equipment to assure efficient operation.
Graduation from high school or GED equivalent is required.
One year of skilled or journeyman experience in two or more of the specialty trade areas (Electrical, HVAC, Plumbing, Carpentry, Locksmith, Painting) together with building construction and maintenance work, is required. Mechanical ability required. HVAC experience is highly desirable.
Tools, equipment, and materials of HVAC field. Basic plumbing and electrical. Building maintenance procedures, including preventative maintenance programs.
Perform manual work and to handle equipment carefully; work from blueprints and rough sketches; understand oral and written instructions; work harmoniously with others.
Must have a valid California driver's license, and have (and maintain) an insurable driving record acceptable to the District's insurance carrier.
COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY:
Candidate must demonstrate clear evidence of sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability and ethnic backgrounds of community college students, staff, and the community.
Coworkers, other departmental staff, contractors, and vendors.
Requires the ability to exert some physical effort, such as walking, standing and light lifting; dexterity in the use of fingers, limbs and body in the operation of office equipment. Must be able to lift up to 50 pounds.
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Repairs/rebuilds mechanical drive systems to include, but not limited to, replacement of drive bearings, shafting, blower wheel assemblies, multi-pulley and belt drives, and exhaust blower assemblies and motors for HVAC equipment.
2. Maintains and repairs hot and cold water pumping systems including motor replacement, bearing and shaft seal replacement, mounting and alignment techniques for proper operation, replacement of rubber and chain drive couplings; repair and rebuild triple duty valve, Y strainer assemblies; check valves, air and sludge separators, air bleeds and water treatment, air scavenging and sludge removal.
3. Maintain and repairs cooling tower, evaporator condenser and air cooled condenser; maintains, repairs, and replaces fills elements, water distributor, filter screening, piping, electrical components and control operation.
4. Maintains hot water boiler operation including electronic and mechanical safeties, primary and secondary pump systems and boiler ignition controls, chilled water systems operations, water flow dynamics, piping-pumping configurations.
5. Maintains and repairs as necessary, gas fired furnaces, infra-red heaters, hydraulic systems including safeties.
6. Works and meets with contractors and vendors obtaining estimates, evaluations, reports, and pricing and provides recommendations accordingly.
7. Performs basic electrical and plumbing.
8. May assist in the coordination of construction projects.
9. Assists other co-workers as required.
10. Fills in for supervisor in his absence.
11. May perform minor furniture assembly.
12. May perform light painting and related duties.
13. May perform campus locksmith duties for safety and security of college.
14. Provides instruction on the use and operation of HVAC equipment.
15. Monitors HVAC over DDC/EMS computer systems; updates and maintains service logs.
16. Participates in District-provided in-service training programs.
17. Maintains a friendly, supportive atmosphere for students, staff, faculty, and the public.
18. Performs other duties, related to the position, as assigned.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
SALARY: Salary grades consist of nine steps. A new employee is normally placed on Step 1 of the grade. Changes in step placement take place on the first day of the first month following the anniversary date of attaining permanent classified employee status until the maximum of the grade is reached.
HOLIDAYS: There are 13 holidays observed each year. A pro-rata reduction will be made for employees working less than full-time and less than twelve months.
VACATION: Employees are granted 12 days of vacation per year through the first five years of service to the District; 15 days after completion of five continuous years of service to the District; 20 days after completion of ten continuous years of service to the District; and 22 days after completion of 15 continuous years of service to the District. This computation is based on full-time, twelve-month employment. A pro-rata reduction will be made for employees working less than full-time and less than twelve months.
SICK LEAVE: One day of sick leave for each month of service is granted. This is based on full-time, twelve-month employment. A pro-rata reduction will be made for employees working less than full-time and less than twelve months. There is no limit to the number of days of sick leave which may be accrued.
FRINGE BENEFITS: The college provides a health and welfare benefit package for employees and legal qualifying dependents. Those employees working less than full-time and less than twelve months will receive a pro-rata share of the benefit package. The dollar value of the package is a subject of negotiation between the District and the Bargaining Unit. Employees working less than 20 hours per week are not eligible for this benefit package.
The work location and assignment within a job classification is determined by the District and may be subject to change.
All offers of employment will be contingent upon the availability of funds and approval by the Board of Trustees.
The Riverside Community College District is an equal opportunity employer and recognizes the need to provide reasonable accommodations to employees with disabilities. For more information, contact (951) 222-8039.
The Riverside Community College District complies with all federal and state rules and regulations and does not discriminate on the basis of ethnic group identification, national origin, religion, age, gender, gender identity, gender expression, race, color, ancestry, genetic information, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, or any characteristic listed or defined in Section 11135 of the Government Code or any characteristic that is contained in the prohibition of hate crimes set forth in subdivision (1) of Section 422.6 of the California Penal Code, or any other status protected by law. This holds true for all District employment opportunities. Inquiries regarding compliance and/or grievance procedures may be directed to the District's Title IX Officer/Section 504/ADA Coordinator. Harassment of any employee/student with regard to ethnic group identification, national origin, religion, age, gender, gender identity, gender expression, race, color, ancestry, genetic information, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, or any characteristic listed or defined in Section 11135 of the Government Code or any characteristic that is contained in the prohibition of hate crimes set forth in subdivision (1) of Section 422.6 of the California Penal Code, or any other status protected by law, is strictly prohibited. The Title IX Officer, Section 504/ADA Coordinator for the District is Ms. Lorraine Jones, 3801 Market St., Riverside, CA 92501. Telephone Number is: (951) 222-8039.
Work Hours/Work Days for Classified and Hourly Positions Only:
Tuesday - Saturday 8:00 AM - 4:30 PM
Required Applicant Documents:
Resume or Curriculum Vitae
Optional Applicant Documents:
Letter of Recommendation 1
Letter of Recommendation 2
Effective Employment Date:
Anticipated start date: May 2021 or after
*It is anticipated that first screening of applications will occur sometime during the 1st or 2nd week of May 2021.
Please note: The selection process typically concludes within four to six weeks from the closing date. There are, however, exceptions to this general guideline. Status updates will be made throughout the process. Please refer to your account for any updates to the status of your application.
* An electronic, RCCD on-line application must be completed to be considered. All portions of the application must be entirely filled out with all information qualifying an applicant for the position. Only information on the official RCCD application (not resumes) will be considered to determine whether an applicant meets the minimum requirements for the position for which he/she is applying.
* Only electronic, on-line applications are accepted. All supporting materials, required or optional, must also be in electronic formats and attached to the electronic, on-line application when applying. Supporting materials are only accepted as Adobe Acrobat (.pdf) or Microsoft Word files and must be less than 2 MB in size.
* An application will not be considered complete unless all Required Documents are electronically attached to the application by the Application Deadline date. An incomplete file may subject the candidate to disqualification.
* Paper applications and supporting materials WILL NOT be accepted!
* Letters of reference must be non-confidential and submitted electronically when applying on-line.
* Interested candidates must apply by the deadline listed above by 8:00 p.m., Pacific Standard Time.
* The Riverside Community College District does not require testing at the initial application filing period. As you progress through the selection process, you may be required to perform a job-related test based on the needs of the work area for which you are being considered.
* The District will make reasonable accommodations for applicants with disabilities. Applicant should contact Human Resources and Employee Relations at (951) 222-8595 for assistance.
Application Types Accepted:
To Apply, visit: