Department: Facilities Operations
Duration of Position: Full year / Full time
Employee Type: Service
Posting Date: 03/31/2021
Union Representation: SEIU
Posting Number: SS036P
Pay Rate: $24.31/hour
About Vassar College
Located in the scenic Mid-Hudson Valley, Vassar College is a highly selective, residential, coeducational liberal arts college. Vassar is deeply committed to fostering a community that reflects the values of a liberal arts education and to promoting an environment of equality, diversity and inclusiveness. Vassar seeks to create a pluralistic community for all staff, faculty and students. Vassar College is an Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity employer, and applications from women, individuals with disabilities and members of historically underrepresented groups are especially encouraged. Vassar College is a smoke-free, tobacco-free campus.
Position Summary and Responsibilities
Under general supervision, apply coats of paint, varnish, stain, enamel, or lacquer to decorate and protect exterior surfaces, trimmings, and fixtures of buildings and structures throughout the district.
- Apply paint to surfaces including windows, trim, walls, floors,
doors, and cabinets.
- Mix, match, and apply paint, varnish, shellac, enamel, and
- Fill cracks, holes, and joints with caulk, putty, plaster, or
other fillers, using caulking guns or putty knives.
- Erect scaffolding, movable and immovable staging and various
rigging to gain access to difficult areas; moves furniture and
equipment as necessary.
- Remove fixtures such as pictures, doorknobs, lamps, and
electric switch covers prior to painting.
- Tape off areas to manage dust control when needed.
- Remove paint splatters and leave all work areas as clean as
before starting work when finished.
- Scrape, sandpaper, prime, or seal surfaces prior to painting to
insure proper adherence.
- Cover surfaces with cloth or plastic to ensure
- Calculate amounts of required materials
- Performs all duties in a safe and professional manner and in
accordance with established Vassar College and departmental
policies and procedures.
- Responsible for the upkeep of all tools and maintain all Vassar
owned equipment assigned to the employee;
- Maintain a safe and clean working environment daily.
- Responsible for communicating and working effectively with
- Performs other duties as assigned to assist the department in
obtaining and maintaining its mission.
- Performs other duties as related to the shop as assigned.
- High school diploma, vocational training or equivalent
- Five years of professional paint trade experience
- Knowledge of equipment, materials, methods, practices, and
tools used in painting trade.
- Knowledge of and ability to mix paint to match
- Ability to communicate effectively in English, including
understanding, speaking, reading and writing is
- Ability to follow written and verbal instructions and work
independently as well as in a team environment. Good interpersonal
- Must be able to move, position, place and transport objects up
to and including 75 pounds.
- Must be able to perform repeated bending, squatting, stooping,
pushing, and pulling.
- Must be able to stand and walk for a prolonged period of
- Must be able to ascend and descend ladders and
- Must possess and maintain a valid driver’s license.
- Willingness to work overtime as available. Overtime is assigned according to seniority guidelines.
Special Instructions to Applicants
To apply you will be required to complete the Vassar College Employment Application, including your complete work history and contact information for 3 supervisor references (please: no relatives, friends or co-workers). You will have the option of attaching a cover letter, resume, and additional reference contact information. Review of applications will begin immediately. Inquiries may be directed to the Human Resources Office at (845) 437-5820
For full consideration applicants should apply by:
All applicants must apply online at: https://employment.vassar.edu/postings/1840.