Assistant Director - VTCC Citizen-Leader Track
The Assistant Director will report to the Deputy Commandant of Cadets for the Citizen-Leader Track, who provides overall leadership and oversight to the full time program.
The Virginia Tech 1,100-member Corps of Cadets offers student cadets invaluable opportunities for superior leadership training and individual and career development. Virginia Tech is the first land-grant university in the nation to combine the leader development curriculum of a Corps experience with academic coursework in leadership to award a minor in leadership studies. The Corps of Cadets was established in 1872. Within the VTCC, the Citizen-Leader Track presents a structured program, similar in organization to the ROTC programs, to best prepare its cadets for post-graduation employment. Formally established in 2001, this track’s steady growth now comprises approximately 25 percent of the Corps’ cadet strength. These hard-working, dedicated cadets have diverse academic majors and career aspirations, and see the value of developing their leadership skills in order to pursue lives of service in business, government, and nonprofit sectors.
Cadets in the Citizen-Leader Track live side-by-side and graduate with the same structured professional development experiences as their classmates destined for the armed forces. This structure is supplemented with additional academic and experiential opportunities unique to the Citizen-Leader Track, under the tutelage of the Commandant’s staff. Much like ROTC cadets belong to military organizational structures mirroring their chosen service, Citizen-Leader Track cadets are assigned to what’s known as VPI Battalion, with its own cadet chain of command. Within this structure, cadets practice leadership, followership, manage service projects, and develop the soft skills sought by employers today. And like ROTC, VPI cadets also participate in regular wellness and physical fitness activities, which leads to life-long habits.
Citizen-Leader Track curriculum is continually upgraded and improved to meet the needs of its cadets. In a weekly 2-credit hour lab, cadets benefit from expert presentations on résumé writing, job searching, interviewing techniques, and other skills to help cadets launch their careers. Classes also delve into social etiquette, public speaking, financial planning, project management, and the college-to-career transition. Successful Tech alumni frequently return as speakers and panelists to share their life experiences and discuss how the Corps increased their value to their organizations.
Working with various partners, the Corps connects to organizations interested in recruiting cadets for internships and post-graduation employment. Many businesses and government agencies send representatives to campus to speak to Citizen-Leader Track cadets about the benefits of joining their team.
The primary focus of the position is employer outreach and cadet professional development, along with other associated responsibilities. It will require an innovative, high-energy professional. The incumbent can expect high contact time with cadets and must therefore be approachable. Competitive candidates will appreciate and embrace the dynamic daily environment, and take pride in potentially being part of an organization steeped in the traditions of character, service, and excellence.
- Assists the Deputy Commandant for the Citizen-Leader Track in all aspects of organizing, planning, executing, and marketing this unique leader development program.
- Develops and oversees employer outreach and employer relations initiatives to support the recruiting and hiring of cadets for internships and post-graduation employment.
- Establishes, grows, and sustains a network of employers across a range of sectors, where there is a mutual recruitment interest between the organization and cadets. Related activities might include: organizing corporate partnership options, participative sessions, and branding events; establishing and maintaining regular communications; soliciting employer feedback on areas like cadet performance in internships and jobs, or curriculum enhancement suggestions.
- Connects cadets to employers and employers to cadets, acting as a talent advocate for Citizen-Leader Track cadets. Understands supply and demand dynamics. Develops and maintains management systems and practices to support these efforts.
- Markets the Citizen-Leader Track to various audiences by various means, to include web-based applications, materials, and public presentations.
- Coordinates parallel efforts with the Rice Center for Leader Development and VTCC Alumni, Inc.
- Develops and maintains an alumni outreach/feedback/networking program for the purpose of cadet career development.
- Assists with developing, teaching, and evaluating weekly accredited professional development courses for Citizen-Leader Track cadets that prepare them for post-graduate roles of responsibility.
- Oversees and/or participates in cadet-led physical fitness activities and health and wellness education.
- Assists with event planning, such as receptions, conferences, field trips, and guest speakers.
- Assists with development and implementation of VTCC global education initiatives.
- Advises cadets on individual career goals and plans. Guides student development in skills required for success as leaders and professionals; academic success, cultural awareness, self-responsibility, and social interaction. Provides appropriate counseling and referral for individual students when needed.
- Collaborates with the Commandant and other VTCC staff members to establish and implement short- and long-range organizational goals, objectives, strategic plans; program development, implementation, and evaluation; policy review and development; and operating procedures. Monitors and evaluates programmatic and operational effectiveness; affects changes required for improvement.
- Ensures compliance with state and university policies in department operations. Develops and supports diversity, inclusion, and cultural awareness.
- Serves as Departmental Liaison to various on-campus and off-campus organizations.
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned.
- Master’s degree
- Small team, mid-level, or organizational leadership experience, in military, business, or government
- Professional networking experience
- Demonstrated experience creating, organizing, and implementing programs
- Strong communication skills, including written, electronic, instructional, and giving presentations
- Experience working with young adults, young professionals, or college students
- Proficient in standard computer software like MS Office and germane web-based applications
- Ability to oversee and/or participate in moderate-level cadet physical fitness activities
- Collaborative work style
- Human Resources, recruitment, and/or hiring process experience in the corporate, government, or military sectors
- Familiarity with employers in Virginia metro areas (i.e. NOVA/DC, Norfolk, Richmond areas)
- Experience with campus recruiting
- Course development experience
- Career advising or counseling experience
- Military leadership experience
$45,000 - $55,000
The successful Candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check
About Virginia Tech
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be leaders and problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution that enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the world, Virginia Tech is an inclusive community dedicated to knowledge, discovery, and creativity. The university offers more than 280 majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in eight undergraduate colleges , a school of medicine , a veterinary medicine college, Graduate School , and Honors College . The university has a significant presence across Virginia, including the Innovation Campus in Northern Virginia; the Health Sciences and Technology Campus in Roanoke; sites in Newport News and Richmond; and numerous Extension offices and research centers . A leading global research institution, Virginia Tech conducts more than $500 million in research annually.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
Student Affairs at Virginia Tech fosters a community where each student creates a customized experience to meet their goals. Building on our motto of Ut Prosim (that I may serve), Virginia Tech is dedicated to serving in the spirit of community, diversity, and excellence . We seek candidate who adopt and practice our Principles of Community , which are fundamental to our ongoing efforts to increase access and inclusion and to create a community that nurtures learning and growth. We are actively seeking people to join our community and help us prepare leaders for the world. Our people in Student Affairs are committed to student well-being and assuring that all students Experience VT by demonstrating, supporting, and operationalizing our Aspirations for Student Learning . If you are someone dedicated to ensuring student success, then we want you to consider being a part of our team!
If you are an individual with a disability and desire an accommodation, please contact Carrie Cox at firstname.lastname@example.org during regular business hours at least 10 business days prior to the event.
Advertised: April 6, 2021
More searches like this
- Administrative Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Blacksburg
- Business & Administrative Affairs Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Blacksburg
- Community Relations & Institutional Outreach Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Blacksburg
- Student Affairs Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Blacksburg
- Career Services Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Blacksburg