Founding Dean, School of Nursing and Health Professions
Rowan University is seeking an innovative and entrepreneurial leader to serve as the Founding Dean of a new School of Nursing and Health Professions (SNHP) and position Rowan University for strategic growth in the areas of allied health, nursing, interprofessional practice and education, and an expanding array of health-related professions and programs. The School will build on the University’s existing portfolio of programs in health promotion (nutrition, exercise science, fitness management), public health, rehabilitation (athletic training), and diagnosis/treatment (nursing) as the foundation for development of new programs in health-related fields.
The Dean will set the vision for the School in collaboration with faculty, staff, and students within the framework of the University’s mission to provide access to an affordable and quality education for a diverse student body and to serve as an economic engine for our region and the state of New Jersey. As the chief academic and administrative officer of the School, the Dean is responsible for:
- Leadership of strategic initiatives to advance the academic, professional, and scholarly reputation of SNHP and the University
- Expansion of interprofessional education and partnerships with the University’s two medical schools and the regional healthcare industry
- Engagement with community health organizations to improve health care and outcomes for underserved populations
- Enhancement of the visibility and market share of the nursing programs
- Development of new allied health professions programs in collaboration with external partners
- Design of innovative pathways for prospective students interested in health and wellness careers across multiple disciplines
- Recruitment of a diverse faculty and student body and cultivation of an inclusive environment
- Oversight, enhancement, and development of high-quality undergraduate and graduate programs including stackable and micro-credential programs
- Management of budgets, resources, and facilities
- Promotion of alumni, employer, and community relationships
The Dean will work closely with the Provost and the academic leadership team to advance the University’s strategic priorities. The ideal candidate is an exceptional and inspirational leader who values transparency, honesty, and integrity and possesses the following qualifications:
- Earned doctorate from an accredited institution in a field associated with the School or a related field; clinical degree, certification, and clinical service experience in a health profession is preferred
- An established record of excellence in teaching, scholarship, and service commensurate with the rank of Full Professor with tenure
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion within higher education
- Demonstrated commitment to healthcare access and health equity and experience in working with community partners
- Outstanding leadership, communication, and interpersonal skills
- Experience with strategic planning and new program development
- Successful administrative experience with fiscal and managerial responsibilities, at the level of department chair (or equivalent) or above
- Experience with modes of delivery appropriate to health professions education, including online, clinical collaborations and partnerships, service learning, and internships
The School enrolls over 1200 undergraduate and graduate students and offers degrees and certificates at the baccalaureate and master’s level. Further information about current program offerings is available at www.rowan.edu/shp . The position will be available July 1, 2021. The salary is competitive and commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Review of applications will begin on April 21, 2021, and continue until the position is filled. Applications must contain a letter of interest that includes a vision statement and clear description of experience and qualifications, current curriculum vitae, and names and contact information for five references. All applications must be submitted through our online applicant tracking system.
Inquiries only may be directed to SNHPDeanSearch2021@rowan.edu .
Philadelphia, with additional campuses in Camden and Stratford. The University comprises seven academic colleges and five schools—the William G. Rohrer College of Business; the Henry M. Rowan College of Engineering; the Ric Edelman College of Communication and Creative Arts, the Colleges of Education, Humanities & Social Sciences, Performing Arts, and Science & Mathematics; the Cooper Medical School of Rowan University; the Rowan University School of Osteopathic Medicine; the Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences; the current School of Health Professions; and the School of Earth and Environment—with an Honors College that spans across disciplines. Rowan is one of two public universities in the country to offer M.D. and D.O. medical degree programs. The institution is also home to the South Jersey Technology Park, which fosters the translation of applied research into commercial products and processes, the Ric & Jean Edelman Planetarium, Jean & Ric Edelman Fossil Park & Museum, and the Virtual Reality Center. Rowan University has been recognized as one of the top 100 public universities in the nation by U.S. News & World Report and the 4th fastest growing research university among public doctoral institutions by the Chronicle of Higher Education.