Vice Provost for Academic Administration (37)
The Office of the Provost at American University (AU) invites applications for the position of Vice Provost for Academic Administration. A member of the provost’s leadership team, the Vice Provost for Academic Administration (VPAA) provides senior leadership and direction for the following functions within the Academic Affairs division: financial management, staff personnel management, budgetary analysis for new program development, review of contracts and memoranda of agreements (MOAs), administrative oversight of the Office of University Registrar and AU Central operations, and web and technology support for the Provost’s Office and designated units. The VPAA works closely with other vice provosts and deans on high-level planning and management decisions to advance the Provost’s and the university’s strategic goals. The individual in this role also represents the provost in various university-wide committees and serves as a liaison to a number of offices across campus, including the budget offices of the university’s 7 schools and colleges.
- Financial management: Provide leadership and oversight of the Academic Affairs division’s revenue and expenditure budgets in conjunction with deans, unit heads, and designated budget administrators. Lead bi-annual revenue and expenditure budget formulation process for academic units. Coordinate communication between the Office of the Provost and school-based budget officers to ensure transparency and two-way accountability. Support units in resolving major budget, financial policy, and audit issues along with the Office of Finance and Treasurer, Office of the Controller, and University Budget Office. Support financial management training and professional development opportunities for school-based budget administrators. Serve on the University Budget Committee.
- Administration: Provide administrative oversight of 2 direct report units: the Office of the University Registrar and AU Central. Co-chair the Provost’s Operational Council (PrOCo), charged with addressing administrative issues across the Academic Affairs division and with implementing best practices in all aspects of operations. Participate in university-wide policy improvement initiatives. Serve as designated liaison with the Office of General Counsel on legal and contractual matters; with the Office of Risk Management on liability, international travel, and insurance matters; with the Office of Information Technology on enterprise systems; and with the university-wide Emergency Response Team and Enterprise Risk Management Team.
- Contract review and program support: Review all contracts, MOAs, educational service agreements, and other documents prior to signature by the Provost. Sign sponsored program contracts and academic MOAs as one of 3 officers in Academic Affairs designated by the Board of Trustees. Provide budgetary analysis and financial forecasting to support the development of innovative new programs and partnerships, working in collaboration with AU’s schools and colleges, the Office of Digital Learning and Strategy, the Office of Global and Off-Campus Education, and the Professional and Lifelong Learning Innovation Lab.
- Human resource management: In conjunction with deans, unit heads, and Office of Human Resources, provide leadership and guidance in all staff personnel matters, performance management program, and unit reorganizations or restructuring. Oversee division-wide staff merit process to ensure accuracy and fairness across the division and in compliance with HR policies. Provide counsel to the provost, deans, and unit heads regarding performance issues, salary adjustments outside of normal guidelines, and resolution of HR-related problems. Serve on the University Benefits Committee.
- Web and technology support: Oversee the web and technology support function. Serve as a member of the Enterprise Systems Project Team charged with continuous university-wide assessments and prioritization of information technology projects and related resources. Ensure Academic Affairs division needs and priorities are met in website redesigns.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
Required Education and Experience
- Master’s degree in business administration or relevant field
- Minimum of 10 years of increasingly responsible experience in financial management and administration
- Proven success in effective leadership of units or programs
- Experience reviewing contracts, MOAs, and policies
- Evidence of collaborative work involving deliberation, process, and consultation
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Working knowledge of information technology systems
- Familiarity with operations of higher education institutions
Additional Eligibility Qualifications
- Hiring offers for this position are contingent upon successful completion of a background check.
- Click here to learn about American University's unique benefit options.
Current American University Employees:
If you are a current full-time or part-time staff member at American University, please log intoAsuccessfulU through themyAU portal . Once in AsuccessfulU, please select the Careers tile which will take you to our internal career page.
For more information or assistance with the American University careers site, email email@example.com .
American University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action institution that operates in compliance with applicable laws and regulations. The university does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex (including pregnancy), age, sexual orientation, disability, marital status, personal appearance, gender identity and expression, family responsibilities, political affiliation, source of income, veteran status, an individual’s genetic information or any other bases under federal or local laws (collectively "Protected Bases") in its programs and activities.
Nearest Major Market: Washington DC
More searches like this
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.
- Academic Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.
- Academic Administration Not specified Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.
- Chief Academic Officers & Vice Presidents Not specified Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.
- Other Academic Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.