Intern Clinician (11425)
The primary function of the Intern Clinician is the delivery of clinical services and related activities to fulfill requirements of the Counseling Center’s APA-Accredited pre-doctoral internship program in psychology. This position promotes the academic, social, and emotional well-being of students by providing assessment, time-limited individual counseling/psychotherapy, group therapy, crisis intervention, consultation, referrals for American University students, and participation in rotation of after-hours emergency coverage. The Intern Clinician provides training and outreach programs to all members of the university community and participates in a variety of training and other professional development activities. This is a one year temporary position.
- Direct Clinical Services: Provides direct clinical services, such as individual therapy, group counseling, crisis intervention, after hours emergency coverage, intakes, and consultations, in order to assess and address the emotional concerns of students, promote a supportive and knowledgeable community with regard to mental health issues, and facilitate students’ connection to the support or treatment they require.
- Seminars and Supervision: Participates in other activities related to the clinical training programs of the Center, such as training seminars, individual and group supervision, and supervision of junior trainees.
- Professional Participation: Participates in staff meetings and other activities affecting the efficient and effective functioning of the Center. Participates in activities related to university employment, such as HR training. Participates in peer supervision, professional development, or other training to develop and refine professional skills and knowledge.
- Consultation and Outreach: Provides training and outreach programs/services to student groups, staff, faculty, and parents, such as workshops or presentations on topics related to mental health, human development, and counseling center services.
The Intern Clinician reports directly to the Assistant Director for Training of the Counseling Center, who reports to the Director of the Counseling Center. The Intern Clinician also receives weekly clinical supervision from Staff Clinicians for intake assessment, individual therapy, and group therapy.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
- Full time
- Associate A
Required Education and Experience
- Enrollment in an APA-Accredited PhD or PsyD program in Clinical or Counseling Psychology and completion of comprehensive exams in fulfillment of applicant’s graduate program requirements are required
- Candidates must have an understanding of human development and the promotion of healthy growth; strong professional interest and experience working with a diverse student population including students of color, sexual minorities, international students, and students with disabilities
- Candidates must also have a stated interest, experience, and/or
training in the following areas
- assessment and intervention with severe or potentially life-threatening psychological conditions
- utilization of psychodynamic theory; provision of clinical supervision; provision of group therapy
- provision of outreach programming
Preferred Education and Experience
- Strong preference will be given to candidates with previous work experience in a college/university counseling center
Additional Eligibility Qualifications
The Intern Clinician position is a one year terminal position that fulfills the requirements of the 2,000 hour APA-Accredited pre-doctoral internship program (including a required 500 direct service hours). Internship selection occurs through the APPIC match. The incumbent in this position must adhere to all relevant ethical, legal and professional standards associated with the delivery of clinical services in the District of Columbia.
- Click here to learn about American University's unique benefit options.
Current American University Employees:
If you are a current full-time or part-time staff member at American University, please log intoAsuccessfulU through themyAU portal . Once in AsuccessfulU, please select the Careers tile which will take you to our internal career page.
For more information or assistance with the American University careers site, email email@example.com .
American University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action institution that operates in compliance with applicable laws and regulations. The university does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex (including pregnancy), age, sexual orientation, disability, marital status, personal appearance, gender identity and expression, family responsibilities, political affiliation, source of income, veteran status, an individual’s genetic information or any other bases under federal or local laws (collectively "Protected Bases") in its programs and activities.
Nearest Major Market: Washington DC
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.
- Education Not specified Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.
- Counsellor Education Not specified Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.
- Social & Behavioral Sciences Not specified Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.
- Psychology Not specified Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.