This position is directly responsible for providing leadership, direction, and oversight of human resources and cash operations. This includes direct supervision of graduate assistant(s) and students staff associated with helping in these areas. The goal is to create streamlined processes using applicable technology for improved efficiencies and processes. This person is responsible for assisting in the planning, development, implementation, and evaluation of these areas.
Additionally, the Office Manager will assist in the development and implement assessments that evaluate member impact, member satisfaction and needs, and best industry practices.
This full-time Office Manager position reports to the Business Administrative Associate for Recreation. Graduate Assistants and part-time student staff within business and cash operations will report to the Office Manager.
Duties and Responsibilities (generally)
This employee will work under the direction of the Business Administrative Associate and will provide specialized support related to business operations including, human resources and cash operations. This employee will perform office support duties that provides specialized support to ten full-time staff, nine graduate assistants, and approximately 250 student staff positions related to human resource processes, program sales/registrations, and the membership program. This employee will obtain an in-depth knowledge of the department and university policies and procedures related to their areas of responsibility (mentioned above) and all the other programs areas within the organization as it relates to the functions of this employee’s position. This employee will function with the independence and authority to manage human resources, cash operations/sales, and memberships
• Manage, evaluate, and improve human resource processes related to hiring processes, personnel records, payroll processing, and terminations.
• Assist in the development implement, and evaluate cash operations including, but not limited to, point of sales processes, sales programs, refunds, billings, and transfers.
• Recruit, hire, train, and evaluate student staff that specifically work in Business Operations.
• Assist in identifying and using technology to streamline processes and increase efficiencies.
• Assist in budget related to this position.
• Assists full-time staff in reviewing and editing documents and composing communication as needed.
• Serves as the liaison for staff with external units as needed when or if professional staff are unable.
• Coordinates logistical arrangements related to conferences, meetings, and travel for full-time staff.
Minimum Required Qualifications for this position
1. High school graduation or equivalent.
2. Twenty-four (24) months of clerical/office support work experience comparable to that performed at the Office Support Specialist level of this series or in other positions of comparable responsibility.
Specialty Factors (Additional Required Qualifications)
Education and Experience Preferred
1. Demonstrated ability to work in a dynamic and diverse environment by being able to manage change and work with diverse internal and external constituents.
List the knowledge, skills, and abilities critical to the performance of this position.
1. Extensive knowledge of office support and general office practices and procedures.
2. Ability to analyze and develop office guidelines, procedures, and systems.
3. Ability to select and develop appropriate criteria methods and procedures to be utilized in order to solve problems.
4. Ability to keyboard accurately at a rate of 40 net w.p.m.
5. Extensive knowledge of spelling, grammar, punctuation, sentence and paragraph structure, and formatting.
6. Skill in oral and written communication.
7. Ability to utilize various software packages.
8. Ability to work independently and exercise judgment in order to be able to analyze and investigate a variety of questions or problems.
9. Ability to organize and supervise the work of others.
10. Ability to promote and market events, programs, services and facilities.
11. Good organizational and problem solving skills; ability to effectively prioritize work; manage multiple tasks simultaneously; work independently; and demonstrate sound judgment.
12. Ability to foster and maintain a collegial work environment, which includes positive communication, development of good interpersonal relationships and exhibition of a cooperative attitude with diverse individuals (supervisors, faculty, staff, students, participants, and potential constituents).
13. Excellent interpersonal, presentation, and written and verbal communication skills; ability to collaborate with constituents and the campus community.
14. Must be willing to work evenings and weekends as program needs require.
15. This is a security-sensitive position. Before any offer of employment is made, the University will conduct a pre-employment criminal background investigation, which includes a criminal background check.
10:00 a.m. – 6:30 p.m. Monday – Friday. Must be willing to work mornings, evening and weekends as job responsibilities require
Minimum Pay Rate (Hourly or Monthly)
Hiring Rate Information
Actual hiring rate is commensurate with experience, education, and internal equity; position includes a robust benefits package to eligible applicants.
Priority Review Date
Special Instructions to Applicants
- Fully complete the Education and Work History sections of the application. Be specific on your entire work history, including employment dates and duties for all positions held. Applicable part-time work experience will be considered toward qualifying for this position, however, it will be converted to a full-time equivalency to determine combined length of experience.
- If you have education and/or training in excess of what is required, we encourage you to upload your unofficial transcripts.
- After the posting has closed, your submission will be reviewed to determine if you meet the minimum qualifications for the classification, including any specialty factors associated with this particular position.
- Please monitor your e-mail for further information regarding your application. Emails will be generated from firstname.lastname@example.org and CivilServiceTesting@niu.edu . Please add these emails to your address book to ensure timely delivery of any future communication.
- We STRONGLY recommend that contact information used in your online profile be personal use, not professional/work information: personal email address, home address, and phone numbers. The information you provide is used to make contact on search updates, department referrals and interviews, etc. We must be able to relay sensitive and important information in a way that protects your privacy concerning job search activity, now and in the future.
- ALL QUALIFIED CANDIDATES WILL BE SCHEDULED TO COME TO THE NIU DEKALB CAMPUS TO TAKE A STATE UNIVERSITIES CIVIL SERVICE EXAMINATION . At the time of testing, you will be required to present a photo ID. NOTE : If you have previously tested for this classification and wish to rewrite the exam to improve your score and register position, please contact the Civil Service Testing Office by the posting deadline.
- Required documentation noted in the posting such as driver’s license, licensures, or certifications MUST be presented at the time of examination.
- If eligible for Veteran’s Preference Points, DD214/DD215/NGB22/DD256 paperwork reflecting an Honorable Discharge MUST be uploaded to this application in order to receive the maximum eligible points on the Civil Service examination.
- After testing of all qualified applicants has been completed for this position, the names with the top three scores will be referred to the hiring department for interview.
- Click on Office Manager for more information including salary ranges, typical duties, minimum acceptable qualifications, and testing requirements.
- Please click Human Resource Services – Benefits for detailed information about Northern Illinois University’s benefits package.
- Employment is contingent upon your passing a criminal background investigation. You may not begin work until the criminal background investigation results have been received and cleared by Human Resources.
Link to Department Homepage
Lifting a minimum number of 20 pounds.
In accordance with applicable statutes and regulations, NIU is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, religion, age, physical and mental disability, marital status, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, political affiliation, or any other factor unrelated to professional qualifications, and will comply with all applicable federal and state statutes, regulations and orders pertaining to nondiscrimination, equal opportunity and affirmative action.
The following person has been designated to handle inquiries regarding the non-discrimination policies:
Ethics and Compliance Officer, Title IX Coordinator
Health Services 230
Is Background Check Required
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire.
NIU remains committed to ensuring that its recruitment and application procedures include full opportunities for applicants with disabilities. Employment opportunities will not be denied to anyone because of the need to make accommodations for a person’s disability during either the application or interview process. An applicant who believes they require an accommodation to participate in the employment process due to a disability may request that accommodation through the Accommodation Request Form . For further assistance, please contact the office of Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity and Education ( AAEOE ) at email@example.com .
Clery Act Information
NIU provides information regarding campus security, personal and fire safety, including topics such as: crime prevention, emergency response procedures and crime reporting policies, in addition to crime and fire statistics for the most recent three calendar years. The Annual Security Report containing security and safety information is available at www.safety.niu.edu/clery or by contacting the University Police Department and Public Safety Department at 815-753-9628 to receive a hard copy. The Annual Fire Safety Report is available at www.niu.edu/clery/fire_report.pdf or by contacting the Environmental Health and Safety Department at 815-753-0404 to receive a hard copy.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * If applicable, have you attached a copy of your DD214, DD215,
NGB22, or DD256 for consideration of Veterans Preference Points?
The copy submitted should reflect the status of discharge in order
to be considered.
- Not Applicable
- * Do you have a certification such as Business/Administrative
Technology, Bookkeeping Office Assistant, Office Specialist,
Customer Service, etc. or successful completion of 30-59 semester
hours in any field? (Please remember to upload a copy of your
certification or unofficial copy of your transcript.)
- * Do you have an Associates degree or higher degree in any
field or concentration? (Please upload an unofficial copy of your
- * Please specify the years of work experience involving
administrative support work (experience that supports the
day-to-day operations of an office or organization) or supervising
employee(s) or student(s) or project management experience.
- Less than 1 year
- 1-2 years
- 2-3 years
- More than 3 years
- * Please provide the name of the employer and the dates of
employment where you gained this experience. Please note that this
information must be verified on an NIU application and/or
(Open Ended Question)
- Resume/Curriculum Vitae
- Cover Letter
- Military Discharge Documents ONLY (DD214/DD215/NGB22/DD256)
- Transcripts (unofficial with official required at hire)
More searches like this
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in DeKalb
- Business & Administrative Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in DeKalb
- Business & Administrative Support Not specified Full Time jobs in DeKalb
- Other Business & Administrative Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in DeKalb
- Human Resources Administration Not specified Full Time jobs in DeKalb