Employees hired into Administrative and Professional positions posted on or after July 1, 2017, will be governed by and, if employed on July 1, 2018 will move into the new University Human Resources System. For additional information, go to http://greatplace.vcu.edu.
Position Number F61540 Is this employee on a H1B Visa? No Position Type Teaching and Research Faculty Rank Open Working Title Chair School/Unit College of Health Professions Department Nurse Anesthesia Number of Months 12 Tenure Status Open Grant funded position? No
Mission or Goal of Unit
The Mission of the Department of Nurse Anesthesia is to provide learners with the knowledge and skills necessary to work as part of an interprofessional team to serve the public through the delivery of safe, cost efficient, quality anesthesia services. We strive to develop leaders and scholars who will advance the specialty of nurse anesthesia through research, scholarship, and public service. We achieve our mission by establishing an environment that promotes excellence, values diversity, stimulates creativity, and recognizes achievement.
Chief purpose of this position in support of above mission or goal
We are seeking a visionary and transformative leader to be the next Chair of the Department of Nurse Anesthesia in the College of Health Professions. Reporting directly to the Dean of the College, the Chair will foster a culture of inclusion, diversity, and equity in one of the top programs in the country. The successful candidate will grow a strong and diverse Department by anticipating the changes in Nurse Anesthesia and providing the tools needed to succeed in a dynamic environment. Additionally, this position ensures effective management, program planning, faculty development, research and scholarship, and development of relationships with alumni and the community.
The Chair, as the chief administrative officer of the Department of Nurse Anesthesia, is responsible for the direction and administration of departmental operations. This includes program design, curriculum development, quality assurance of didactic, clinical and continuing education, faculty development and programs of enrichment. The Chair counsels, supervises, directs and evaluates the didactic and clinical instruction provided by University and adjunct faculty; participates in teaching; monitors and oversees the counseling of students concerning didactic and clinical progress; assesses the effectiveness and impact of department operations and institutes changes as needed to meet the requirements of the Council on Accreditation of Nurse Anesthesia Educational Programs. The Chair serves as a liaison between the Department of Nurse Anesthesia and the Dean’s Office as well as other departments throughout the University and Health System.
● Ensures programs meet requirements of the Council on Accreditation of Nurse Anesthesia Educational Programs
● Directs and administers all programs offered by the Department of Nurse Anesthesia, including NAFA
● Serves as the primary liaison to the Office of the Dean and all Departments in the College of Health Professions
● Serves as a member of the Dean’s Executive Committee / Leadership Team
● Supervises and evaluates the faculty and support staff
● Prepares and manages the annual budget
● Supports faculty in the preparation of course materials in keeping with the curriculum
● Evaluates the quality and effectiveness of the curriculum
● Performs liaison functions between the College of Health Professions and VCU Department of Anesthesiology
● Performs liaison functions with the consumer public and other stakeholders
● Supports scholarly and research activities of department faculty
● Participates in teaching in department courses
● Serves on department, college and/or university committees
● Serves as a mentor for students, faculty, and staff
● Provides a supportive environment for an excellent student experience
● Supports a department culture of inclusivity
● Performs other duties relative to the conduct of the program as assigned by the Dean of the College of Health Professions
● Graduate of an accredited school of nursing and eligible for licensure in Virginia
● Graduate of an accredited nurse anesthesia program and current certification to practice as a CRNA in the commonwealth of Virginia and eligible for licensure in Virginia
● A terminal degree in a field related to nurse anesthesia practice
● Maintenance of current recertification as outlined by the National Board of Certification and Recertification of Nurse Anesthetists ( NBCRNA )
● Demonstrated scholarly production sufficient for the rank of Associate Professor or Professor
● Formal training in curriculum, evaluation, and instruction
● Current knowledge of CRNA practice and related professional issues as well as institutional and programmatic accreditation requirements for nurse anesthesia educational programs
● Ability to attend to a variety of demands; solve problems quickly; transfer didactic theory to clinical practice; accept orders and constructive criticism; work collaboratively with colleagues and stakeholders; assume a continuing self-education program to maintain professional excellence in nurse anesthesia practice and education; work within a diverse educational and clinical environment
● Experience or high potential for effectively and inclusively educating and mentoring students from under-represented minority and/or historically marginalized communities
● Demonstrated experience or high potential for working in and fostering a diverse faculty, staff, and student environment or commitment to do so as a faculty member at VCU
● Ability to support Junior and Senior faculty members to developed scholarly/research portfolio with evidence of multi-disciplinary applications and external funding appropriate to complement and expand existing expertise in the department
● Senior faculty members will be required to have a well-developed scholarly/research portfolio with evidence of multi-disciplinary applications and external funding appropriate to complement and expand existing expertise in the department
• Experienced program directorship
• Minimum 10 years’ experience in clinical anesthesia of which 5 years include involvement in all aspects of nurse anesthesia education
• Certified Healthcare Simulation Educator
Date Posted 04/06/2021 Open Until Filled Yes Application Deadline Date 05/06/2021 Proposed Hire Date 07/01/2021 Type of Search National Application Process/Additional Information
Candidates who apply by the priority deadline of May 6, 2021 will be considered first. References will automatically be contacted once an on-site interview is scheduled.
If interested, please submit a curriculum vitae, cover letter, diversity statement, and (under the “other documents” section) the names and contact information of three professional references via VCU eJobs at www.vcujobs.com.
Questions about the position should be directed to Dr. Paula Song, chair of the search committee, at email@example.com
Rank to be determined based on qualifications and experience.
As a preeminent national, urban, public research university and academic health center, Virginia Commonwealth University is committed to organizational diversity, equity and inclusion – an environment where all can thrive in their pursuit of excellence.
Applicants are requested to submit a Statement of Contributions to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (typically between 150-300 words) providing your career aspirations and contributions toward promoting diversity, equity, and inclusion. Through this statement, you can share how your lived experiences; and past, present, and future academic and professional activities have or will contribute to VCU’s mission of promoting equity and inclusion.
Note: Examples include working with others to further the goals of equity and inclusion; leading in any capacity that tangibly promotes an environment where diversity is welcomed, fostered, and celebrated; creative activity, research and scholarship that promotes equity and parity; teaching and mentoring students, and/or engaging with faculty and/or staff from traditionally underrepresented groups to create a positive and successful organizational experience.
Posted Salary Quick Link https://www.vcujobs.com/postings/104889 Diversity Statement Information For more information on diversity statements, including guidelines, please click here . Supplemental Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- Cover Letter/Letter of Application
- Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- Diversity Statement (Required for all Faculty)