Aurora University seeks talented staff and administrators who are
passionate about supporting an inclusive community dedicated to the
transformative power of learning.
A sign on bonus of $500 will be paid at hire, with an additional
bonus of $500 paid after 12 months of employment.
The Campus Public Safety Officer supports
learning by handling emergency situations and enforcing Aurora
University policies, and federal and state laws as they apply to
the campus community. Supports the Campus Public Safety mission by
utilizing a community policing philosophy and works collaboratively
with all members of the campus community to maintain a high quality
of life. Work under the direct supervision of the Chief/Director of
Campus Public Safety. This position will work approximately 24 - 30
hours per week.
Represents Aurora University in the most positive manner with
prospective, former and current students, clients, suppliers, and
the community we serve. Interacts effectively with a diverse group
of faculty, staff, students and other customers of our service,
learns and uses operating practices of the department and Aurora
Upholds the Mission Statement:Aurora University is an
inclusive community dedicated to the transformative power of
learning. As a teaching-centered institution, we encourage
undergraduate and graduate students to discover what it takes to
build meaningful and examined lives. We empower our students to
achieve lasting personal and professional success.
Handles all information with tact and discretion and recognizes
the confidential nature of university business.
Supports learning through performance of essential job
functions and performing other duties and functions as necessary or
Essential Job Functions:
Handles all emergency situations arising on campus, ranging
from personal injuries, fires, threats to individuals, and all
other crisis situations.
Enforces all applicable and appropriate federal, state and
local laws, and University policies.
Reports all security and safety violations, and hazards.
Reports incidents of misbehavior to proper campus authority; serves
as a positive role model for students; provides general campus
Provides visible patrols of the campus to deter crime and
maintain a high quality of life on campus.
Provides assistance and direction to campus visitors and
Exercises physical control only to the extent reasonably
necessary to maintain order, protect property, protect the health
and safety of students and faculty, or to maintain proper and
appropriate conditions to learning.
Responds when Physical Properties or other appropriate
personnel are not available for any other emergency
Essential Job Requirements:
- High School Diploma required. Associate or Bachelor's degree
- Prior experience in higher education preferred. Prior
experience in a community based public safety environment
- Knowledge of campus regulations in connection with student
conduct; laws pertaining to juveniles; the effects of alcohol and
controlled substances on behavior.
- A working knowledge of appropriate federal, state and local
laws including the Campus Security act of 1997.
- Ability to work cooperatively with faculty and staff.
- Ability to interpret rules and regulations.
- Ability to enforce rules and regulations firmly and
- Good verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to write reports and maintain appropriate documentation
according to departmental standards.
- Minimum 21 years of age
- Valid driver's license
- Available to be called in to work or held over until released
by the Chief/Director of Campus Public Safety or his/her designee
in emergency situations
- Ability to work any of the three shifts
- Able to pass a thorough background investigation.
- Ability to walk for extended periods, stand for extended
- Ability to move about campus on foot at a rapid pace.
- Ability to run up stairs carrying heavy equipment (up to 50
- Ability to use computer, office equipment.
- Ability to speak to individuals and groups, ability to hear
- May occasionally be required to physically subdue combative
subjects, must maintain an appropriate level of physical ability
- Visual acuity (with or without correction) to read
Benefit-eligible positions offer excellent benefits including
health, dental, life, vision, long term disability, a 403(b)
retirement plan through TIAA, and tuition remission.
To apply, please send resume, cover letter, and contact information
for three references including name, telephone, and email
If you were referred by a current employee of Aurora University
please include the name of the employee in your submission.
347 South Gladstone Ave
Aurora, IL 60506
Aurora University is an Equal Opportunity Employer.