Wellness Director, Curry Health Center
Curry Health Center at the University of Montana invites applications for a Wellness Director to join their team. This position is under the direct supervision of the Executive Director of Curry Health Center but has a high-level of autonomy and requires a considerable degree of initiative. The person assigned to this position has the primary responsibility of managing the Student Wellness Program & leading prevention outreach efforts across campus. The Wellness director also provides direct patient care and management of the health coaching program at CHC. This is a leadership position with considerable complexity, including all aspects of personnel management, budget preparation, long-range planning, accreditation, delivery of wellness services, identification and troubleshooting of legal components and complaints, participation in campus committees, direction and involvement in campus outreach programs, staff development, training and quality improvement efforts. In addition, this position provides health coaching services to students and manages the health coaches at Curry Health Center.
As a member of the Management Team - comprised of the CHC Executive Director, Medical Director, Dental Director, and Counseling Director - the Wellness Director participates in the leadership of Curry Health Center and coordinates and integrates wellness services with other CHC departments. The individual assigned to this position provides oversight for student wellness and prevention services across the UM campus community and represents Curry Health Center for both campus and community activities. The person occupying this position is responsible for establishing goals, objectives, and strategies for the delivery and evaluation of primary prevention and health promotion programs.
The person assigned to this role regularly interfaces with key campus partners (including but not limited to the Office of Enrollment and Student Affairs, Intercollegiate Athletics, Office for Student Success, UM Housing, ASUM, Faculty and Staff Senates, UM Housing, and UM Administration). This position will provide consultative services to the broader campus community related to mental well-being, stress and resiliency skills, healthy lifestyle, substance use prevention, tobacco cessation and safer sex.
The individual assigned to this position has the primary responsibilities of overseeing and coordinating the Student Health Advisory Committee (SHAC), including recruitment of student members. The person in this position facilitates an organized dialogue between students and administration about student health and well-being, and Curry Health Center programs and services.
Within the role of Health Coach, the employee assigned to this position collaborates with the broader campus community and the Curry Health Center, specifically with the medical and counseling clinics. The person assigned to this role is also responsible for the management of the Health Coaching Assistant position. The individual in this position will work collaboratively on integrative care with both the medical and counseling departments within Curry Health Center. This model is performed through warm handoffs and shared appointments.
The employee assigned to this position has primary authority in supervising all student media team employees including a media artist, social media coordinator, and Health Nut blog coordinator and contributors. This position will also oversee marketing for all departments at CHC as well as manage the day-to-day social media channels for the Wellness Department. The Wellness Director has primary authority in supervising all Student Wellness employees including two Program Coordinators, and numerous (approx. 15+) student positions. The Wellness Director is responsible for establishing performance standards, work assignments and addressing employment relationship issues. The Wellness Director is also responsible for reviewing all notes taken by Health Coaches within the EHR (Electronic Medical Record) Medicat and providing timely feedback and direction.
As a whole, the Wellness Department supports a campus environment promoting a culture of health, student well-being and success. Wellness utilizes data-driven, holistic strategies to help students develop improved insight, vitality, connection, purpose and balance through comprehensive programming, strong campus collaborations, and student-focused initiatives.
- Experience in supervision and training in health promotion and prevention strategies
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Ability to work independently and prioritize and manage multiple tasks
- Strong organizational skills
- Ability to relate to a diverse group of people
- Theoretical knowledge and practical experience with college health principals and strategies
- Summative thinking and strategies
- Ability to serve as an enthusiastic role model; passionate and knowledgeable about the field of wellness and health coaching.
- Ability to organize schedules, make appointments, and send appointment reminder via email or phone
- Strong problem-solving skills
- Knowledge of specific and current college health issues including stress, sleep, exercise and nutrition
- Skills to train students in health coaching skills including behavior change, motivational interviewing, and communication skills
- Familiarity with research methods on health-risk assessment
- Familiarity with social marketing philosophy and methodology
- Excellent writing, editing, and public speaking skills
- Working knowledge of marketing and advertising, including social media platforms and applications
- Position is full-time, 1.0 FTE, Montana University System Contract and includes a comprehensive and competitive benefits package including Insurance package, mandatory retirement plan, partial tuition waiver, and wellness program.
- Salary for this position is $67,080 - $70,000 per year commensurate with qualifications
Minimum Required Education & Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Community and Public Health plus 8 years’ experience or extensive experience in a college health promotion setting
- National Board Certification in Health and Wellness coaching
- Six (6) years of experience providing individual health coaching
- Experience working with Qualtrics
- Seven (7) years of experience in program development and evaluation
About Curry Health Center and UM
Mission: Curry Health Center Wellness supports a campus environment promoting a culture of health, student well-being and success. We use data-driven, holistic strategies to help students develop improved insight, vitality, connection, purpose and balance through comprehensive programming, strong campus collaborations, and student-focused initiatives.
The University of Montana is a unit of the Montana University System with over 10,000 students. It is located in Missoula, a culturally vibrant community of about 72,000, surrounded by mountain grandeur which was recently ranked in the “ top 20 best college towns with a population of less than 250,000 ” by the American Institute for Economic Research and ranked 9th in Outside Magazine’s “ The 16 Greatest Places to Live in America” in 2014 . Many national publications recognize Missoula for its high quality of life . Abundant recreational opportunities in surrounding state and national forests and nearby Glacier National Park and Yellowstone National Park complement a thriving intellectual atmosphere. The University of Montana offers eligible employees a generous benefits package that positively separates UM from other local employers and offers many programs and policies to support work-life balance for its employees.
The University of Montana is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer and has a strong institutional commitment to the principle of diversity in all areas. In that spirit, we are particularly interested in receiving applications from a broad spectrum of qualified people who would assist the University in demonstrating its five priorities for action : Place student success at the center of all we do; drive excellence and innovation in teaching, learning, and research; embody the principle of “mission first, people always"; partner with place; and proudly tell the UM story.
To learn more about the University of Montana, Missoula, and the State of Montana, please visit the links below.
Criminal Background Investigation is required prior to the Offer of Employment In accordance with University regulations, finalists for this position will be subject to criminal background investigations. ADA/EOE/AA/Veteran's Preference Reasonable accommodations are provided in the hiring process for persons with disabilities. For example, this material is available in alternative format upon request. As an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer, we encourage applications from minorities, veterans, and women. Qualified candidates may request veterans’ or disabilities preference in accordance with state law. References: References not listed on the application materials may be contacted; notice may be provided to the applicant. Testing: Individual hiring departments at UM may elect to administer pre-employment tests, which are relevant to essential job functions. Employment Eligibility: All New Employees must be eligible and show employment eligibility verification by the first date of employment at UM, as legally required (e.g., Form I-9).
How to Apply
Application Deadline: Thursday , May 6, 2021 by 11:59 PM (Mountain Time)
Candidates are required to submit the following materials online. Only applications submitted as a complete application including the three items listed below will be guaranteed consideration.
A complete application Includes:
- Letter of Interest – addressing your qualifications and experience related to the stated required skills for the position. A general letter salutation such as “Dear Search Committee” or “Dear Hiring Manager” is acceptable.
- Detailed Resume – listing education and describing work experience
- Professional References – names and contact information for three (3) professional references
Job Location Missoula, Montana, United States
Position Type Full-Time/Regular