Senior Director of Graduate Studies
The Senior Director of Graduate Studies provides leadership and strategic thinking to foster broad understanding of trends in graduate and postgraduate education in psychology and good practices in education. Brings the expertise of the discipline and academia to enhance graduate and postgraduate students and graduate and postgraduate study, from application systems and graduate program data, skills development guidance in relation to career, as well as support for graduate student organizations, and graduate student member support.
Education and Experience:
- Doctoral degree in psychology
- Minimum of 10-15 years postdoctoral experience. At least five years’ experience working in an academic setting with a focus on career development, teaching, research, and other scholarly activities in higher education. Ideally in an area of basic and applied research in psychology.
- Senior level management skills including strategic planning, fiscal, administrative, and personnel management
- Demonstrated leadership skills
- Evidence of national recognition and reputation within psychology communities
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills; excellent interpersonal skills; excellent policy analysis skills
- Advanced proficiency in Microsoft office, email programs, and virtual meetings.
- Serves as APA’s lead contact and liaison to the American Psychological Association of Graduate Students and graduate student members of the association.
- Oversees two revenue lines for the association, Graduate Study in Psychology and PsyCAS, coordinating with internal and external entities to promote these products.
- Provides guidance on data analysis for the APA publication Graduate Study in Psychology.
- Provides leadership and oversight of APA’s education and training initiatives in psychology at the graduate and postdoctoral levels with a focus on programs and projects to enhance the scholarly development of graduate students and postdoctoral fellows for teaching, research, and public policy careers, including the development of information related to those careers.
- Develops, conducts research on, and disseminates information about trends and promising practices in graduate and postgraduate education in psychology in the context of national trends in other disciplines for the benefit of academic departments and psychology students.
- Responsible for administrative tasks, personnel management and budget
- Represents education in psychology in policy and program development venues (meetings, conferences, workshops, ) and to other professionals consistent with APA activities and policies (e.g., other education organizations, higher education organizations, federal agency personnel, members of Congress). Prepares presentations, comments and reports.
- Lead or serve on directorate or association teams convened in support of advancing APA’s strategic priorities.
The American Psychological Association, located at 750 First St NE, Washington D.C., was named a 2014 recipient of the Washington Post Top Workplace. It is metro accessible from the Red Line.
Qualified candidates must apply online through APA’s applicant system and attach a cover letter and resume specifying your salary requirements. Applications that are submitted without both documents are considered incomplete and will not be reviewed for consideration. Once your application is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email. Please make sure to check your Spam folder if you do not receive an email from us.
The American Psychological Association is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, protected Veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other protected categories covered under local law.
More searches like this
- Executive Executive Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.
- Executive Directors Executive Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.
- Jobs Outside Academe Executive Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.
- Non-profit & Government Organizations Executive Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.