Technology Support Technician
• As a member of the Help Desk Services staff, responds remotely or in person to staff requests for assistance. Perform on-site analysis, diagnosis, and resolution of desktop problems for end-users, and recommends and implements corrective solutions.
• Installs, configures tests, maintains, monitors, and troubleshoots end-user workstations and related hardware and software in order to deliver required desktop service levels. Collaborates with the Network Administrator to ensure efficient operation of the College's desktop computing environment.
• Where required, administers and resolves issues with associated end-user workstation networking software products, and ensures that physical desktop connections (i.e. RJ-45 Ethernet jacks, connectors between PCs and servers, etc.) are in proper working order.
• Provides supervision, training and technical guidance to students assisting the department. Hours for the position are from 7:30am to 4:30pm Monday – Friday when classes are in session, 8:00am to 5:00pm when classes are not in session (based on Help Desk hours of operation).
• Develops and maintain an inventory of all computers, monitors, keyboards, hard drives, modems, network cards, and other components and equipment.
• Maintains up-to-date expertise in the operation and application of the University's standard software and hardware, and a working knowledge of a wide variety of commonly used hardware and software, and industry best practices.
• Accurately documents instances of desktop equipment or component failure, repair, installation, and removal.
• Understands and adheres to safe, ethical and secure data handling standards for all relevant digital and analog data
• Conducts research on desktop products in support of PC procurement and development efforts. Evaluate and recommend products for purchase.
• Assists in developing long-term strategies and capacity planning for meeting future desktop hardware needs.
• Contacts software vendors to obtain specifications, pricing and other purchase-related information needed to guide departments in their selection of software. May assist in negotiating site license and coordinates volume purchase arrangements for standard College software and hardware purchases.
• Contacts hardware vendors to obtain warranty support. May perform hardware warranty support on university owned desktops, laptops, printers and other devices based on industry best practices and vendor-provided requirements and guidelines.
• Acquires and maintains relevant industry certifications.
• Performs other related duties as required to accomplish the objective of the position.
Requires special technical knowledge of the techniques and procedures of software and hardware support for multiple users. Must understand the installation, configuration and troubleshooting processes for software, hardware, and peripheral devices. Must know how to assemble and disassemble personal computer components. Requires extensive experience with personal computer equipment. Must have advanced computer word processing, spreadsheet, database, DOS, Mac and Windows skills. Requires sufficient analytical skills to assess problems or unusual situations and develop solutions.
Position requires AA/AS degree in computer related field plus two years relevant experience; a BA/BS degree in computer science or related discipline, or the combination of education and experience that enables performance of all aspects of the position.