Licensed Vocational Nurse I
Entry level, novice vocational nurse who possesses a basic general knowledge of nursing practice. Assists physicians and registered nurses in the areas of patient care including treatment room examination and procedures, schedules tests and appointments, and records and communicates information to referring physicians.
- Adheres to the scope of practice as defined by the Texas Nurse Practice Act.
- Assists with treatment room examination and procedures on patients.
- Collects patient history, performs medication reconciliation and enters information in the electronic medical record.
- Performs clerical/administrative responsibilities such as filing and/or scanning patient medical records, obtain lab/x-ray reports, hospital notes, and referral information.
- Responds to telephone calls, Assist with In Basket messages, refers and preauthorizes treatment, and provides information to patients.
- Schedule appointments, tests, and procedures for patients.
- Document patient care services by charting in patient's electronic medical record.
- Instructs patients concerning the preparations needed for tests and surgical procedures.
- Maintain clean and safe work environment, stocks treatment room supplies.
- Communicates with other health care professionals regarding orders and care of patients.
- Respects and supports patient rights and promotes positive family and patient relations.
- Prioritizes and organizes work so that assignments are completed in an efficient and timely manner.
- Executes physician orders and administers medications and treatments for patients.
- Maintains a professional and cooperative relationship among health care teams by communicating information, responding to requests, and building rapport by participating in team problem-solving methods.
- High School diploma or G.E.D and graduated from an approved licensed practical nurse/vocational nurse (LPN/LVN).
- No experience.
- Current license as a Licensed Vocational Nurse (LVN) or as a Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) by the State of Texas Board of Nurse Examiners. Basic Life Support certification (BLS).
Baylor College of Medicine is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Equal Access Employer.