Medical Assistant II
The Department of Family and Community Medicine (FCM) at Baylor College of Medicine is seeking a caring, compassionate and reliable medical assistant to support the clinicians providing primary care services to private practice patients. This position will assist in the examination and treatment of patients under the direction of the physician. Main responsibilities include interviewing patient, measuring vital signs (i.e. pulse rate, temperature, blood pressure, weight and height) and record information on the patient electronic chart using EPIC. Shifts will include 7:30-4:30; 8:00-5:00; 9:30-6:30 Monday-Friday.
The Medical Assistant, under supervision of the Clinic Nurse Manager (and practice providers) is responsible for assisting in the delivery of health care and patient care management. Candidate must possess a proactive, team-oriented attitude. Performs selected nursing and administrative duties using the principles of the team-based care of a patient-centered medical home, chronic care management models and quality improvement. It is the responsibility of this position to contribute to a patient centric and customer focused environment where the needs of the patients come first.
Position is located at our Kirby location (3701 Kirby).
Clinical duties (90%), Administrative duties (10%)
- Greets patients and escorts them to exam rooms.
- Performs routine patient care responsibilities such as taking vital signs, drawing blood, and in some cases administering tests such as EKGs.
- Answers clinic telephones and resolves issues or routes calls to appropriate person.
- Collects patient histories, including medication reconciliation.
- Correctly collects and labels patient specimens for lab analysis.
- Sets up instruments and equipment according to department protocol.
- Schedules patient tests and appointments and prepares patient charts.
- Maintains patient and services rooms in a neat and orderly condition.
- Takes an inventory of clinic supplies and orders new supplies and equipment.
- Sorts clinic mail and files patient medical records.
- Other duties as specified including floating to other FCM clinic locations.
- May educate patients about their conditions and self-care.
- May assist providers in filling out health related paperwork for patients.
- May order supplies.
- May staff central college sites (e.g., COVID testing site).
- Cross-trains to gain proficiency in staffing Communication Center, monitoring inventory and converting visits to virtual appointments.
- Assists with scheduling and checking in of patients.
- Monitors assigned provider baskets, complete high priority messages and address incoming patient encounters.
- High school diploma or GED and completion of a Medical Assistant Training program through an accredited institution.
- Two years of relevant experience.
- Current certification as a Medical Assistant through an accredited professional organization (AAMA, AMT, ARMA, NCCT, NAHP, NHA, NAHP, AMCA, or NRMA).
Bilingual in Spanish or other languages (such as Vietnamese, Mandarin, Cantonese, Russian, etc.).
Baylor College of Medicine is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Equal Access Employer.