Senior IT Project Manager (14947)
The Senior IT Project Manager will be responsible for managing the successful deployment and implementation of customer contract deliverables. This individual will be responsible for planning, managing, and coordinating project activities from initiation through delivery to ensure project goals and objectives are accomplished within the constraints of budget, schedule and scope while minimizing risks and ensuring compliance with guidelines, best practices, and standards established by the Project Management Office (PMO). The Sr. IT Project Manager will work closely with analysts, developers, subject matter experts, internal project champions, campus stakeholders, and third party vendors in planning, coordinating, executing and supporting a number of campus technology projects and initiatives. In this role, s/he will apply project management, organizational development and change management knowledge in order to lead and implement IT technical and business solutions to successfully achieve desired business outcomes for the University.
- Manage technology development and implementation projects involving departmental or cross-functional teams, following guidelines, best practices, and standards established by the PMO.
- Plan, produce, coordinate and monitor project schedules, budgets, resources and deliverables.
- Monitor and lead various projects from initiation through delivery.
- Act as liaison between implementation teams, management, interdepartmental campus partners and vendors to ensure completion of the project on schedule, on budget, and within scope.
- Perform due diligence in defining the project goals, objectives, project scope, requirements, priorities, constraints, and assumptions in consultation with the project sponsors and key stakeholders and establish how project success will be measured.
- Develop detailed project plans integrating the interdependencies of planning, design, development and thorough testing, including system testing, performance testing, and user acceptance testing (UAT) to ensure collaboration across the project teams.
- Monitor project progress by providing weekly project status reports and updates for submission to project team and key stakeholders.
- Manage and perform the processes for creation, evaluation of proposals and bids, and facilitate the proposal lifecycle, when necessary.
- Identify and assess project risks, communicate potential problems and establish contingency plans.
- Mentor project team leads to guarantee project success and assist PMO in maturing and adoption of project standards and guidelines across OIT.
- Contribute to a positive and professional work environment and facilitate positive and effective teamwork.
Essential Functions (continued)
- Play an essential part in organizational change/transformation/adoption as part of large technology system and process changes; helping University partners optimize organizational performance by aligning people, processes, and technology to support business transformation and achieve desired business outcome.
- Apply project management, organizational development and change management knowledge in order to lead and implement business technology solutions.
- Guide, direct and plan as needed with campus partners, which may include senior campus management, faculty, and/or external constituencies in change management efforts.
- Provide and perform organizational change assessment, stakeholder analysis, readiness assessment, user adoption assessment; measurement and analysis; in assessing an organization's ability to adapt to process and systems changes through mechanisms such as surveys, interviews and focus groups.
- Design, plan and implement change strategies including current and future state documents, to maximize engagement.
- This position will report directly to the Director, Project Management Office in the Enterprise Systems and will interact with various IT positions across campus, as well as key senior leadership across different departments and academic units.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
- Full time
- Team Leader/Consultant A
Required Education and Experience
- At least 8 - 10 years of experience in leading technology projects, developing and implementing large scale higher-Ed ERP technical solutions, training and organization development, including ability to facilitate problem-solving meetings to resolution, overseeing successful programs/initiatives, and providing impactful organizational development/change interventions
- A proven track record of success in implementing technology systems is essential
- Bachelor’s Degree required in Information Technology, Computer Science, and/or Engineering Management discipline
- Strong Project Management, Business Analysis, Change Management, Organization Development, Technical Skills
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Project or similar project management software
- Excellent analytical, planning, problem solving, critical thinking and decision making skills
- Strong written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills
- Excellent time management and organizational skills with the ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously with minimal supervision
- Demonstrated ability to set and manage priorities with multiple internal & external customers
- Desire and ability to learn and apply new skills and technologies quickly
- Strong technical skill to translate technical requirement to high-level project goals
- Ability to manage and facilitate relationship between IT and campus partners
- Skills to assess training needs; ability to design, plan and conduct trainings; traditional instructor-led as well as web-enabled strategies and technologies
Preferred Education and Experience
- Master’s degree in Organization Development, Business Administration or equivalent in training and experience
- PMP and/or ITIL Certification
- Work experience in universities and higher education institutions
Additional Eligibility Qualifications
- Hiring offers for this position are contingent on the successful completion of a background check
- Click here to learn about American University's unique benefit options.
Current American University Employees:
If you are a current full-time or part-time staff member at American University, please log intoAsuccessfulU through themyAU portal . Once in AsuccessfulU, please select the Careers tile which will take you to our internal career page.
For more information or assistance with the American University careers site, email firstname.lastname@example.org .
American University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action institution that operates in compliance with applicable laws and regulations. The university does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex (including pregnancy), age, sexual orientation, disability, marital status, personal appearance, gender identity and expression, family responsibilities, political affiliation, source of income, veteran status, an individual’s genetic information or any other bases under federal or local laws (collectively "Protected Bases") in its programs and activities.
Nearest Major Market: Washington DC
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.
- Business & Management Not specified Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.
- Management Not specified Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.
- Other Business & Management Not specified Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.