Staff Accountant Pratt Institute: Non Academic: Vice President of Finance and Administration: Controller: Controller's Office Location Brooklyn, NY Open Date Feb 19, 2021 Description
Pratt Institute is seeking a detailed-oriented Staff Accountant with strong analytical skills to join the Controller's Office team to provide support for the Institute's financial operations. Will be responsible to maintain and reconcile various financial and accounting data, including but not limited to restricted fund accounts, government and private grants, accounting adjustments and bank reconciliations. We are looking for a candidate who can successfully assist in our monthly, quarterly and annual closing processes. If you can demonstrate the ability to prepare comprehensive financial reports, have excellent problem-solving abilities, and can demonstrate an understanding of accounting and finance principles and standards, then we want to hear from you.
Key Essential Duties include the following:
- Monthly review and reconciliation on restricted accounts activities. Interface with appropriate Institutional directors, department staff and outside individuals/agencies for issues, questions and other concerns on the various restricted accounts.
- Responsible for the monthly review, and reconciliation of activities for government and private grants. Preparation of quarterly and annual grant reports for federal, state, local and private agencies. Coordinate with and prepare informational reports for the various grant Centers at Pratt Institute.
- Perform monthly reconciliation of student receivable accounts, including maintaining the inter-company transactions for Munson Williams Proctor Institute, the Institute's campus in Utica, NY.
- Prepare monthly bank reconciliations for minor bank accounts owned by the Institute.
- Assist in various surveys and studies for higher education reporting.
- Research and prepare journal entries for all re-class and charge back request.
Education: Bachelor's degree required, bachelor's degree in accounting is preferred.
Experience: Four years' experience in general ledger accounting, bank reconciliations and some treasury function experience, preferably in higher education. Must have experience working with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community.
Skills: Strong financial and analytical skills. Possess knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles. Working knowledge and experience in integrated accounting systems. Experience with higher education and/or the non-profit industry preferred. Proficiency in MS Excel and Word required as well as experience with Human Capital Management Software - experience with Ellucian's Colleague a plus. Must have excellent interpersonal and communications skills.
The selected candidate will work remotely 2-3 days per week, until further notice.Application Instructions
Please submit your cover letter and resume. If you are selected for an interview, please be prepared to provide at least 5 References via our on-line reference tool system. At least 2 of your References must be, or have been, your direct managers.
To apply, please visit: https://apply.interfolio.com/84414
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
We are an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, color, creed, religion or belief, national or ethnic origin, citizenship status, marital or domestic partnership status, sexual orientation, sex, gender identity or expression, age, disability, military or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law. Pratt Institute recognizes and values the benefits of a diverse workforce.