Athens State University
The carpenter position involves the performance of duties involving roughed and finished carpentry. These duties are essential in order to insure that the carpentry demands are accomplished as expeditious as possible. While performing these duties, all necessary precautions are taken to assure the safety of Athens State University faculty, staff, students and visitors.
- Repairs and makes alterations to walls, floors, roofs,
stairways, doors, windows, etc.
- Constructs partitions, concrete forms, wood fixtures,
- Builds cabinets, computer workstations, bookcases,
- Pours and finishes concrete.
- Hangs and finishes sheetrock.
- Repairs and replaces door locks, closures and various locksmith
- Applies paint, stain, varnish, enamel, or lacquer to decorate
and protect interior and exterior surfaces.
- General painting
- Installs bulletin and glass boards.
- Cuts and installs paneling, trim, ceilings and
- Performs other duties as assigned.
• High School diploma or equivalent.
• Minimum of five years of carpentry experience.
REQUIRED LICENSE, CERTIFICATION, OR SPECIAL CREDENTIALS:
• Valid driver license.
OTHER QUALIFICATIONS AND JOB REQUIREMENTS:
• Ability to operate power driven woodworking equipment such as power saws, jointers, planners, etc.
• Ability to repair hardware.
• Ability to operate light earth moving equipment such as trenchers, backhoes, front-end loaders, boom lift and scissor lift, etc.
• Ability to communicate with supervisor and co-workers
• Math skills to measure and determine required materials for task.
• Ability to read drawings, blueprints and specifications.
• Knowledge of Alabama building codes and ADA codes.
• Ability to follow routine verbal and written instructions.
• Ability to work independently.
• Maintain a safe work environment.
• Ability to react to change productively.
• Must be able to exert up to 75 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 30 pounds of force frequently, and/or up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects
• Frequently climb (ladders, scaffold, or other)
• Must have full range of mobility in upper and lower body; be able to reach overhead; be able to work in various positions, including stooping, standing, bending over, sitting, kneeling and squatting for extended periods of time; be able to lift, pull and push materials and equipment to complete assigned job tasks
Salary Band: N298
To view salary schedules visit: https://www.athens.edu/human-resources/salary-schedule-tables/
Salary will be commensurate with experience and qualifications.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Unofficial transcripts should be from the college or university which verifies minimum qualifications for the position. Upon an offer of employment, official transcripts from all colleges and universities attended must be submitted. Continued employment is contingent upon receipt of transcripts from all colleges and universities attended.
Please provide contact information for three professional references on your application.
To be considered for this position please visit our web site and apply on line at the following link: https://jobs.athens.edu/postings/search
About Athens State University
Located in historic Athens, Alabama, Athens State University offers junior and senior-level coursework to community college graduates and transfer students holding sufficient credits from other institutions. Presently, over 3,100 students have selected Athens State because of its neighborly environment where 50 majors and degree programs are offered, with courses taught by a supportive and exceptional faculty. Approximately 80% of the students are enrolled in at least one online course. The typical student is a working adult who commutes. Recently, the University was featured in the 2015 Best Value Online College Rankings by OnlineU.org for four online programs including computer science, accounting, education and human resources. The University offers undergraduate degree programs in Liberal Arts, Teacher Preparation, and Business. The University employs more than 350 full and part-time employees with approximately 90 full-time faculty members in three colleges: College of Arts and Sciences, College of Business, and College of Education. Seventy-five percent of the full-time faculty members hold a terminal degree. The University is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges.
Athens, Alabama is located in north Alabama equidistant between Nashville, TN and Birmingham, AL. Athens is home to several events and festivals that have been featured as the Southeast Tourism Society’s “Top 20 Events in the Southeast” including the Athens Storytelling Festival and the Tennessee Valley Old Time Fiddlers Convention.
In accordance with Athens State University Policy and guidelines, the applicant chosen for employment will be required to sign a consent form for a criminal background check. Employment will be contingent upon the receipt of a clearance notification from that criminal background check.
Non-Discrimination Policy Statement Athens State University, as an equal opportunity/affirmative action institution, complies with all applicable federal and state laws regarding nondiscrimination and affirmative action. Athens State University does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, marital status, gender, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, sexual orientation, disability, religion, genetic information, or veteran status in employment, or admissions to or participation in educational programs and activities. Inquiries or concerns may be addressed to the Office of the Vice President of Enrollment and Student Support Services, 300 N. Beaty St., Athens, AL 35611, 256- 233-8175.