Senior Desktop Management
Senior Desktop Management & Security Consultant
Classification: Information Technology Consultant - Career
Department Name: Tech Support Services
Job Number: MB2021-PD2670
Status: Open Until FilledApply today! Application Screening Begins: Monday, April 5, 2021
Priority Screening Date: 04/04/2021
Recruitment Status: Apply today! Application Screening Begins: Monday, April 5, 2021
Powered by an inspiring Founding Vision Statement, California State University, Monterey Bay (WWW.CSUMB.EDU) is a comprehensive, mid-sized four-year university whose staff and faculty help transform student lives by emphasizing project-based learning, requiring service learning, and promoting multicultural and global perspectives on and beyond the campus community. CSUMB is both an MSI and HSI and has a vibrant, diverse student body of nearly 7000 students and growing. Our faculty and staff, many of whom live in campus housing, appreciate living and working about one mile from the shores of the beautiful Monterey Bay. As one of the 23 campuses in the California State University (CSU) system, we offer excellent benefits, including housing, and competitive salaries for our faculty and staff. During our 25th Silver Anniversary Celebration in 2019-20, we will complete two major building projects: the College of Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences and the Student Union. By 2030, CSUMB's sustainability initiative is to be carbon neutral.
Under the general supervision of the Director of Technology Support Services the Information Technology Consultant is responsible for desktop security administration, systems monitoring/management, load set and system integration, user support, resource evaluation and needs analysis, project coordination, system and service documentation and general support. As a representative of the Technology Support Services department, excellent customer service skills are essential.
- Desktop Security Administration: Configures, coordinates, reviews and administers desktop security. Responsible for the prevention, detection, investigation and response with respect to security threats on the desktop environment. Tests and installs application and operating system security patches and updates. Reviews desktop security incidents with users, management and the security team. Works closely with Network Services on a cohesive security strategy.
- System Monitoring and Management: Configures monitors and maintains various enterprise systems for the purpose of automating software deployments, system configuration, operating system updates, desktop virus/threatware protection applications, printing, telephone, classroom management, remote desktop management tasks and other services as needed. Coordinates utilization of these systems by appropriate IT and non-IT staff members. Coordinates skills development for IT professionals in the appropriate use of these tools.
- Load Set and System Integration: Develops, implements, documents, and maintains appropriate loadset provisioning processes and tools. Recommends, configures and coordinates automation tools to streamline hardware provisioning, software installation, configuration, and remote desktop management.
- System and Service Documentation: Develops and maintains technical instructional documentation; such documentation will be intended for other IT professionals, not for training end-users. Maintains change management documentation for tools, systems, and services, consistent with best practices and procedures established by IT management.
- General Support: Develops, documents, implements and maintains procedures. Assists with the development and deployment of virtual desktops and hosted software services. Coordinates the student assistant staff and helps with other student assistant support services and projects. Works with classroom AV Support, network, server and telephone staff to improve service and support level.
- User Support: Provides consultative support and services to students, staff and faculty to ensure problem resolution, system/data access and optimal system performance. Ensures an office and classroom environment in which services and equipment maintain a high level of availability, effectiveness, and efficiency. Assists in the maintenance of TSS-related documentation on the IT website and through other avenues. Provides supplemental Help Desk user support to complement existing staffing availability.
- Resource Evaluation and Needs Analysis: Provide technical advice and expertise in the evaluation, purchase, upgrading and maintenance of software and/or hardware resources. Consults with users, management and IT staff to determine functional support needs. Analyzes potential technical solutions and options available to effectively meet the users' needs. Ensures the appropriate integration of a proposed solution with existing systems already in operation. Prepares various performance measurement reports, documentation, and correspondence as required.
- Project Coordination: Coordinates projects to minimize the initial negative user impact of introducing new systems (e.g., user training, conversion automation, fallback strategy, etc.). Coordinates and monitors project plan implementation. Monitors the initial performance of the newly implemented system, troubleshooting and resolving initial problems. Regulates, refines, and maintains optimal efficiency of the new system during its initial period of use. Ensures the integrity and security of the implemented system. Establishes priorities and timelines for tasks and projects.
- Coordinates with the IT Help Desk to ensure effective and timely delivery of client services through regular meetings, training and process improvement planning. Assists with hardware operations and maintenance.
Performs other job-related duties and special projects as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
Knowledge of: information technology security, management systems and/or applications, including campuswide systems and multimedia environments, access procedures, AV system, telephone services, networks, and/or databases; and training theory and practices demonstrated by an ability to develop and deliver technical training and user documentation.
Ability to: apply consultative skills to assess user needs and provide appropriate support; integrate multiple applications and/or systems; and analyze data requirements and research data availability and access methods. Proficiency using standard software packages. Demonstrated interpersonal and communication skills in working with users to interpret needs and provide appropriate solutions.
Basic foundation of knowledge and skills in technical information systems and application program packages is a prerequisite. This foundation would normally be obtained through a bachelor’s degree in computer science, information systems, educational technology, communications, or related fields, or similar certified coursework in applicable fields of study. Working knowledge of desktop security, automated desktop management tools in an enterprise environment, common software application packages, equipment platforms, reference database systems and sources, and training methods and a basic understanding of networks, data communication, and multimedia systems.
- Demonstrated ability to address the essential functions associated with this position including the knowledge and abilities identified above.
- Demonstrated proficiency in the installation, configuration and maintenance of a Windows endpoint management system such as Microsoft SCCM, Big Fix, Ivanti, Tanium, etc. in an enterprise environment.
- Ability to install, patch, update, maintain, configure and support Windows operating systems in an enterprise environment using automated desktop management tools and vulnerability management systems.
- Experience with Windows Active Directory and other security profiles and policies in an enterprise environment.
- Demonstrated knowledge of software architectures, configurations, and deployment strategies. In-depth knowledge and demonstrated skill in the use of essential supported software applications and systems.
- Demonstrated ability to perform consistently in a high volume, dynamic environment, requiring above average attention to detail and direction; establish both short term and long-term priorities, which allow unrelated activities to be conducted concurrently; consistently work effectively, cooperatively, collaboratively and respectfully and with a positive demeanor with faculty, staff and students in both normal and pressure situations; understand, follow and complete direction given by management; assessing situations, developing various solutions, and carrying out the chosen solution; communicate both in writing and verbally to both technical and lay personnel.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or equivalent, in addition to the required experience. Experience and skill with LAN and/or remote access equipment and configurations.
- Experience with emergency management equipment and software, California law enforcement telecommunications systems and software, fingerprinting software and hardware, in-car video and computer systems, network access control services and software and two-factor authentication.
- Have practical, hands-on experience and possess a good understanding of common security tools.
- Experience with enterprise print services and Antivirus.
Special Conditions of Employment:
SPECIAL CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- All offers of employment are contingent upon the successful completion of a background check (including a criminal records check).
- The person holding this position is considered a “mandated reporter” under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
- This position will have a duty to report to the Campus Title IX Officer information pertaining to victims of sex discrimination, sexual harassment, sexual misconduct, dating/domestic violence, and stalking as required by CSU Executive Order 1095.
- This position has been designated as a sensitive position with access to and responsibility for detailed personally identifiable Level 1 confidential information about students, faculty, staff or alumni that is protected, personal or sensitive as defined in the CSU Information Security Data Classification Standards).
- This position is required to comply with confidentiality requirements outlined in the Department of Education’s Family Educational Rights and Privacy and California’s Educational Code Chapter 13 regarding sensitive student issues.
- Must possess and maintain a valid license to drive in the State of California, pass the Defensive Training Class, and be insurable under the University’s liability coverage. May be required to drive own personal motor vehicle between CSUMB @ North Salinas and other off-campus facilities and campus.
Office environment with standard equipment and tasks. Position requires working at a computer and desk for extended periods of time. Requires travel between campus offices and off‐campus locations.
Compensation and Benefits:
- Type of Appointment: Full-Time, Probationary
- Collective Bargaining Unit: Clerical & Administrative Support Services (CSUEU)
- Anticipated Campus Hiring Salary: Low to mid $5,000’s/month
- CSU Salary Range
- FLSA Status: Exempt
CSUMB offers a premium benefit package that includes outstanding vacation, health, dental & vision plans; a fee waiver education program; membership in the California Public Employees Retirement System (CalPERS); and 14 paid holidays a year. For more information, visit: CSU Benefits R09. Additionally, University Corporation at CSU Monterey Bay provides access to affordable campus housing based on availability, visit: Employee Housing.
How to Apply:
To apply, visit https://csumb.peopleadmin.com/postings/6139
For full consideration, applicants must complete the required online application prior to the priority screen date found at csumb.edu/jobs. Application submissions received after the application screening date will be reviewed at the discretion of the University. Materials submitted become the property of CSUMB and will not be returned.
CSUMB is not a sponsoring agency for staff or management positions.
Reasonable accommodations will be provided for qualified applicants with disabilities who self-disclose by contacting University Personnel at (831) 582-3389. All employees must be eligible for employment in the U.S.
CSUMB hires only individuals lawfully authorized to work in the United States and is an E-Verify employer. In compliance with state and federal crime awareness and campus security legislation, including The Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Crime Statistics Act, California Education Code section 67380, and the Higher Education Opportunity Act (HEOA), the Cal State University, Monterey Bay Annual Security and Fire Safety Report is available at: https://csumb.edu/clery
CSUMB is a smoke and tobacco-free campus.
AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER:
CSUMB is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, veteran status, or disability.