Communications Specialist - On Call
Reporting to the Senior Security Specialist, the Communications Specialist receives and dispatches emergency and routine calls for service and coordinates Security Specialists with other components of the College as well as with other agencies when necessary. The Communications Specialist is responsible for the monitoring of the E-access system and performs clerical duties and data entry as needed. The Communication Specialist will prepare reports and perform such other duties as required by the Director of Security.
This position is on-call, working on an as needed basis in an office that supports the college campus 24 hours per day, 365 days per year.
This position is considered “Essential Personnel” in the event that:
- an emergency occurs on the Bates Campus or in the vicinity that would impact Bates,
- inclement weather forces the closing of campus or
- or other emergency events deemed appropriate.
Essential Personnel are required to report to or remain at work if instructed to do so if contacted directly by the supervisor (or their designee), the President, or a member of the President’s Staff (Senior Leadership Team.)
Key accountabilities include the following:
Communications Specialists Responsibilities
- Provides high-level, professional and courteous service through interactions with the Bates community via personal contact, telephone service and timely radio dispatch services.
- Answers incoming calls on a multi-line switchboard, the Security business phone line, in person as well as the emergency elevator phone and takes the appropriate information and/or makes proper connections.
- Maintains daily log of daily activities and initiates incident reports.
- Dispatches all calls for service with emergency calls taking precedence using Security’s two-way radio system.
- Monitors the E-access System for alarms.
- Performs data entry of information relevant to the functioning of Security.
- Registers computers, bicycles, etc. for crime prevention.
- Coordinates security officers with other agencies.
- Responds to inquiries and furnishes information on campus activities, organizations, key personnel, administrative/academic offices and locations or transfers callers to offices which can provide information.
- Completes and sends maintenance work order request forms.
- Maintains various books such as criminal trespass, no contact, parking permits, etc.
- Handles sensitive and confidential matters with discretion and tact.
- Maintains a pleasant and professional rapport with Bates students, faculty and staff as well as with the City of Lewiston and other outside agencies.
- Maintains all security issued equipment in a clean and operable manner.
- Maintains a working knowledge of all relevant policies pertaining to safety and security.
- Performs such other duties and tasks as required by the Director of Security.
The successful candidate will have an Associate’s degree in criminal justice or related field or the equivalent and relevant work experience.
The ideal candidate will have:
- 2 – 3 years of work experience that demonstrates commitment, dependability and maturity.
- Strong interpersonal, oral, and written communication and listening skills.
- Ability to follow verbal and written directions, maintain a professional demeanor and restraint at all times, including stressful situations.
- Ability to prepare and effectively present both oral and written information concerning activities and operations to internal and external constituents
- Ability to work effectively with a wide range of people, including persons from diverse backgrounds.
- Strong interpersonal skills with ability to develop and maintain collegial relationships. Must be flexible, collaborative and have a positive attitude.
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills; ability to synthesize complex or diverse information.
- Ability to work independently and handle multiple priorities with minimal supervision.
- Keen attention to detail necessary for successful documentation, planning and execution.
- Proficiency in basic data management systems and basic computer software (e.g., Microsoft Word and Excel, Power Point, Google docs, email and calendaring.)
- Willingness and ability to learn additional software as needed.
- Ability and willingness to travel (by car, air, train or bus) domestically and internationally as needed.
- Ability and willingness to work weekends, evenings & other non-traditional schedules.
- A commitment to students and their personal development.
- Personal commitment to excellence and the mission of a top-tier small liberal arts college.
- Demonstrated awareness of, sensitivity and commitment to diversity and inclusivity and to serving the needs of a culturally and educationally diverse and inclusive community with diplomacy and tact.
Bates College offers competitive salaries, free access to library and athletic facilities and a supportive, collegial environment in a drug- and smoke-free workplace. This position may accrue leave in accordance with the Maine’s Earned Paid Leave law.
Bates is internationally recognized as a leading liberal arts college, attracting 2,000 students from across the U.S. and around the world.
Since 1855, Bates has been dedicated to educating the whole person through creative and rigorous scholarship in a collaborative residential community. Committed to opportunity and excellence, Bates has always admitted students without regard to gender, race, religion, or national origin.
Cultivating intellectual discovery and informed civic action, Bates prepares leaders sustained by a love of learning and zeal for responsible stewardship of the wider world. Bates engages the forces — intellectual trends, demographic changes, and technology — that are transforming higher education and the world into which our students graduate.
Bates has highly competitive admissions, graduates over 90 percent of its entering students, and more than half of its alumni earn graduate degrees. Bates employs 200 faculty members and 550 staff.
The college is proud of deep roots in the Lewiston/Auburn community, Maine’s second-largest urban area with a population of approximately 65,000. Bates is located on a beautiful, 133-acre, traditional New England campus in Lewiston, an emerging city with an entrepreneurial climate, a lively arts scene, and a dynamic business community. Bates is 35 miles north of Portland, 140 miles north of Boston, and 350 miles north of New York City.
Please submit a cover letter, resume, and contact information for three professional references. This position requires the successful completion of a pre-employment background screening. Review of applications begins immediately and will continue until the position is filled. (References will not be contacted without your permission.)
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
Bates College is committed to the principle of equal opportunity and providing an educational and work environment free from discrimination. The college prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression, age, disability, genetic information or veteran status and other legally protected statuses in the recruitment and admission of its students, in the administration of its education policies and programs, or in the recruitment of its faculty and staff. Bates College adheres to all applicable state and federal equal opportunity laws and regulations. All college faculty, staff, students, contractors, visitors, and volunteers are responsible for understanding and complying with the Non-Discrimination Policy.
Inquiries concerning the college’s policies, compliance with applicable laws, statutes, and regulations (such as Title VII, Title IX, and ADA/Section 504), and complaints may be directed to Gwen Lexow, Title IX Officer, 207-786-6445 or via email at email@example.com.
Advertised: Mar 05 2020 Eastern Standard Time
More searches like this
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Lewiston
- Business & Administrative Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Lewiston
- Business & Administrative Support Not specified Full Time jobs in Lewiston
- Community Relations & Institutional Outreach Not specified Full Time jobs in Lewiston
- Development & Advancement Not specified Full Time jobs in Lewiston