Assistant Coach - Football
Title: Assistant Coach - Football
The Assistant Football Coach is responsible for aiding the Head Coach in administering a competitive NCAA Division III intercollegiate program. This position supports the development of student-athletes through mentorship, guidance, leadership opportunities, community building, and a commitment to social justice. The Assistant Coach focuses primarily in the areas of planning and directing recruitment, conditioning, training, and performance of student-athletes, along with fiscal management of the program. This is a professional assistant coaching position, and all of the duties of the position must be conducted in adherence with the policies, rules, and regulations of affiliated national, regional, and state intercollegiate athletic associations, the NESCAC Conference, and the College. The Assistant Coach will have significant night and weekend commitments. This position reports to the Head Coach.
- Adheres to and enforces all policies and procedures of the Department of Athletics & Physical Education and the College as well as the rules and regulations of the NESCAC, the NCAA, and other authorities that may legitimately influence the intercollegiate athletics program.
- Completes all required departmental and institutional training and certification programs and participates actively in available professional development opportunities.
- Assists in the recruitment of student-athletes as directed by the head coach. Ensures full compliance with NESCAC and NCAA guidelines in all aspects of the recruiting process.
- Provides leadership and instruction in the personal and athletic development of student-athletes, including counseling team members in academic, disciplinary, and personal matters.
- Assists the head coach in monitoring the eligibility status and academic progress of student-athletes.
- Provides support in carefully tracking expenditures for all team accounts to ensure fiscal responsibility.
- Works with the head coach and equipment manager to initiate and coordinate the selection, purchase, fitting, and maintenance of team equipment; to include uniforms, athletic equipment, and supplies.
- Assists the head coach in developing and implementing strategies for motivating student-athletes to perform at maximum levels as both individuals and a team.
- Arranges team travel transportation arrangements through Assistant AD for Student-Athlete Services and Internal Operations and team lodging arrangements through the Business Manager.
- Works closely with the strength and conditioning and sports medicine staff to ensure that student-athletes are physically prepared for competition.
- Assists with approved fund-raising activities as requested and coordinates all such efforts through the Director of Athletics and Office of College Advancement
- Compiles data and reports in a timely fashion when requested by the head coach or any senior-level administrator.
- Ensures the safety of student-athletes and coaching staff through careful monitoring of the condition of athletic equipment and facilities utilized by the designated sport.
- Confirms that sport camps and clinics related to the sport program adhere to NCAA and institutional rules and regulations.
- Performs all other duties as assigned by the head coach, Director of Athletics, or any other senior-level administrator.
• Bachelor’s degree required.
• Master’s degree in an appropriate area of specialization preferred.
• Experience playing or coaching the sport, college level preferred.
• Experience and/or demonstrated success in supervising young adults and managing programs preferred.
Skills and Knowledge
• Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to develop and maintain collegial relationships. Must be flexible, collaborative, and have a positive attitude.
• Ability to establish rapport quickly with students and their families, while maintaining appropriate boundaries.
• Knowledgeable about the skills and tactics of the sport.
• Excellent communication (written and verbal) skills.
• Ability to work independently and handle multiple priorities with minimal supervision.
• Proficiency in basic data management systems, Front Rush, game film editing programs, and basic computer applications (e.g., Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
• Willingness and ability to learn additional applications as needed.
• Ability and willingness to travel (by car, air, train, or bus) domestically and internationally as needed.
• Ability and willingness to work weekends, evenings, and other non-traditional schedules.
• Personal commitment to excellence and the mission of a top-tier small liberal arts college.
• Current CPR & First Aid certification
• Demonstrated commitment to diversity and inclusivity and to serving the needs of a culturally and educationally diverse and inclusive community with diplomacy and tact.
Bates College offers competitive salaries, excellent benefits (health, dental, 9% retirement contribution with potential for an additional 3% match, paid sick and vacation*, 12 paid holidays, free parking, access to library and athletic facilities & more) and a supportive, collegial environment in a drug- and smoke-free workplace. *Benefits may be tied to years of service or may be prorated for employees working less than full-time or 12 months.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
Bates College is committed to the principle of equal opportunity and providing an educational and work environment free from discrimination. The college prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression, age, disability, genetic information or veteran status and other legally protected statuses in the recruitment and admission of its students, in the administration of its education policies and programs, or in the recruitment of its faculty and staff. Bates College adheres to all applicable state and federal equal opportunity laws and regulations. All college faculty, staff, students, contractors, visitors, and volunteers are responsible for understanding and complying with the Non-Discrimination Policy.
Inquiries concerning the college’s policies, compliance with applicable laws, statutes, and regulations (such as Title VII, Title IX, and ADA/Section 504), and complaints may be directed to Gwen Lexow, Title IX Officer, 207-786-6445 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org .
Bates is internationally recognized as a leading liberal arts college, attracting 2,000 students from across the U.S. and around the world.
Since 1855, Bates has been dedicated to educating the whole person through creative and rigorous scholarship in a collaborative residential community. Committed to opportunity and excellence, Bates has always admitted students without regard to gender, race, religion, or national origin.
Cultivating intellectual discovery and informed civic action, Bates prepares leaders sustained by a love of learning and zeal for responsible stewardship of the wider world. Bates engages the forces — intellectual trends, demographic changes, and technology — that are transforming higher education and the world into which our students graduate.
Bates has highly competitive admissions, graduates over 90 percent of its entering students, and more than half of its alumni earn graduate degrees. Bates employs 200 faculty members and 550 staff.
The college is proud of deep roots in the Lewiston/Auburn community, Maine’s second-largest urban area with a population of approximately 65,000. Bates is located on a beautiful, 133-acre, traditional New England campus in Lewiston, an emerging city with an entrepreneurial climate, a lively arts scene, and a dynamic business community. Bates is 35 miles north of Portland, 140 miles north of Boston, and 350 miles north of New York City.
Please submit a cover letter, resume, and contact information for three professional references. This position requires the successful completion of a pre-employment background screening. Review of applications begins immediately and will continue until the position is filled. (References will not be contacted without your permission.)
This institution is using Interfolio's Faculty Search to conduct this search. Applicants to this position receive a free Dossier account and can send all application materials, including confidential letters of recommendation, free of charge.
Advertised: Feb 22 2021 Eastern Standard Time