Maintenance Worker (2 positions)
Are you interested in creating an amazing educational environment for students who are part of an equity driven community? Staff at Cabrillo College support quality programs and services to students that promote their diverse and evolving needs as they progress toward their individual educational goals. Come join us in our vision to improve the world, one student at a time!
The full-time, 12-months per year, Maintenance Worker position, learns and performs semi-skilled and craft work in the maintenance and repair of College buildings, facilities, vehicles and related equipment; performs related duties as required or assigned.
NOTE: This position is scheduled to start on July 1, 2021.
The ideal candidate will share Cabrillo's commitment to educating its racially and socioeconomically diverse student population. Cabrillo College serves approximately 11,400 students per term, of which 44% are LatinX, 5% multi-ethnic, 2.75% Asian, 1.25% African-American, 1% Filipino, 0.25% American Indian or Alaskan Native, and 0.18% Pacific Islander as of Fall 2019. In 2006, Cabrillo College was designated a Hispanic-Serving Institution, reflecting the great responsibility that the College has to the educational attainment and economic well-being of the surrounding community.
As a classified staff member at Cabrillo College, you will join a vibrant community of professionals and educators working together to provide a positive educational environment where our students experience diverse academic and cultural perspectives.
Examples of Duties
- Performs a wide variety of carpentry, plumbing, electrical, painting, HVAC, vehicle maintenance, and related maintenance work
- Makes repairs to buildings and structures
- Performs maintenance to ensure facilities are kept in good operating order
- Installs, repairs and builds partitions, shelves, counters, railings, fences, walls, and other general carpentry duties
- Repairs, maintains, and installs a variety of electrical systems and equipment, including wires, computer cables, switches, outlets, lights, etc.
- Installs, maintains, repairs, and adjusts heating and ventilation systems
- Installs, maintains, and repairs plumbing fixtures
- Repairs leaks and stoppages
- Installs, maintains, repairs, and adjusts campus lock systems
- Performs maintenance painting
- Performs service and basic mechanical repair work for gasoline and diesel-powered vehicles
- Lubricates vehicles, changes oil, filters, and tires and performs safety checks
- Fuels and washes vehicles
- Does necessary preparation and clean up work
- Builds forms and installs and repairs masonry including concrete
- Operates and maintains a wide variety of hand and power tools and equipment used in the building trades, including welding equipment
- Operates trucks and power equipment
- Performs heavy physical labor as needed
- Adheres to safety practices and regulations and protects the safety of employees and the public who may be in or near the work site
- Maintains records of work performed, using an on-line or personal computer system
- Reads and interprets plans, schematics, specifications and blueprints
- Assists in other maintenance activities as assigned
- Loads, unloads and sets up furniture, equipment and materials as assigned
- Demonstrates sensitivity to and understanding of diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation and ethnic backgrounds of community college students, faculty and staff
- Performs related duties as required/assigned
Education and Experience :
A typical way of gaining the knowledge and skills for this position is:
- Understanding of, and sensitivity to the diverse academic, socio-economic, ethnic, religious and cultural backgrounds, disability, and sexual orientation of community college students, faculty and staff, AND
- Equivalent to graduation from high school, AND
- Two (2) years of work experience in facility construction and
maintenance work or custodial work which has provided a basic
knowledge and skills in general building maintenance
Knowledge of :
- Techniques, methods and materials used in semi-skilled building, facilities, equipment and vehicle maintenance and repair
- Safe work methods and safety precautions related to the work
- Operation and maintenance of a wide variety of equipment and hand and power tools used in the work
- Applicable codes and regulations
- Shop mathematics
Skill in :
- Performing semi-skilled facilities and equipment maintenance work
- Operating tools used in electrical, carpentry, plumbing, painting, HVAC and related building trades
- Exercising judgment and initiative without close supervision
- Preparing basic records and reports, using an on-line or personal computer
- Reading and interpreting manuals, specifications, drawings, plans and blueprints
- Understanding and following oral and written instructions
- Establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of the work
- Support an inclusive work environment that fosters diversity, respect and engagement
Other Requirements :
- Must possess a valid California driver's license; may require a class B license
- Must possess sufficient strength and stamina to perform heavy physical labor and to lift and maneuver objects weighing up to 100 pounds, with assistance
- Must be willing to respond to emergencies in off-hours as necessary
- Must be willing to work outdoors in all weather conditions
- Must be willing to work with exposure to unpleasant and potentially hazardous substances, using proper safety equipment and procedures
Starting Salary Range: $3,308 to $3,647 per month; maximum initial salary step placement on the classified salary schedule is step 3.
This is a full-time assignment, 12 months per year. Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. with evenings and weekends as required. Due to current COVID facility requirements, hours are subject to modification based on the needs of the College.
NOTE: This position is scheduled to start on July 1, 2021.
Benefits: Our comprehensive benefits package includes medical, dental, life, short and long term, and vision (optional) insurance provided at a share of cost on a pretax basis, CalPERS Retirement and an Employee Assistance Program. Please see the Benefits link on the HR webpage for more information.
- Completed application
- Answer Supplemental Questions
Only completed applications with the above required documents will be reviewed by the committee. Application materials not required (including reference letters) for this position will not be reviewed. Remove personally identifiable information such as personal photos, social security number, birth date, age, and gender from your application materials. Expenses related to the recruitment process are the responsibility of the applicant. Cabrillo is unable to sponsor work visas. A position eligibility pool may be established in order to fill other full-time, part-time, or substitute assignments as needs arise.
A search committee will review and invite applicants for an interview. Meeting the posted requirements does not guarantee an interview. A written performance exercise and/or presentation may be a part of the interview, and finalists may be invited to return for a second interview. All notifications will be via email, and can also be accessed through your application profile.
Conditions of Employment
Selected candidates given a conditional offer of employment are required to submit tuberculosis screening clearance results, proof of eligibility to work in the United States, and present their Social Security card upon hire (for payroll purposes).
Cabrillo College is an equal opportunity employer and actively seeks a diverse pool of qualified applicants. The policy of the College is to encourage applications from all persons. No person shall be denied employment because of ethnicity or race, color, sex or gender, gender identity, gender expression, age, religion, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, national origin, medical conditions, status or protected veteran status.
Persons with disabilities who require reasonable accommodation to complete the employment process must notify Human Resources at (831) 479-6217.
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Aptos
- Professional Fields Not specified Full Time jobs in Aptos
- Vocational & Technical Fields Not specified Full Time jobs in Aptos
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Aptos
- Business & Administrative Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Aptos