Animal Care Technician I
The Office of Animal Resources (OAR) encourages applications for an Animal Care Tech I ! This position supports research involving laboratory animals by providing animal care and husbandry services, monitoring animal health, and maintaining animal care facilities, in compliance with university and federal standards. This position also provides routine and specialized care for a variety of species of small laboratory animals which are used by scientists for research and education at CU Boulder.
The University of Colorado Boulder is committed to building a culturally diverse community of faculty, staff, and students dedicated to contributing to an inclusive campus environment. We are an Equal Opportunity employer, including veterans and individuals with disabilities.
Who We Are
The Office of Animal Resources (OAR) is a service center responsible for providing high quality animal care, veterinary care, and support for the research and teaching missions of the University of Colorado, Boulder. The highly dedicated and experienced OAR staff is committed to the health and well-being of laboratory animals, student and investigator training, and technical service.
We’re looking for the right individual, committed to helping us maintain our high clinical standards, policies and procedures. This can be the beginning of a real career for someone interested in the support of our scientific research and teaching missions.
What Your Key Responsibilities Will Be
- Changes and/or cleans soiled animal cages, feeding devices, and watering devices.
- Cleans/sanitizes at regular intervals direct and indirect animal contact surfaces by washing with appropriate detergents/disinfectants.
- Collects soiled animal bedding and other wastes and transports to designated waste disposal sites (i.e. cage washroom or dumpster).
- Procures animal feed and supplies from appropriate support areas and transports to required use site.
- Evaluates the basic health status of animals and report abnormalities to the appropriate personnel.
- Weighs, administers medications, breeds, records breeding status data, euthanizes, restraints receives, and transports laboratory animals as advised by supervisor or veterinarian.
- Records daily animal care activities on room check sheets and enters work activities into the database.
- Contacts appropriate personnel regarding dead/sick animals, overcrowded cages, euthanasia requests, and specific project requirements via e-mail or phone.
- Scans cage cards to record animal census in the animal rooms.
- Ensures that all appropriate documentation is completed for all rooms assigned to their area.
- Selects, prepares, dispenses, and utilizes hazardous chemicals and disinfectants according to manufacturer's instructions in cleaning and sanitizing animal rooms, racks, cages and pens, and animal support areas.
- Operates mechanical equipment to clean and sterilize cages such as autoclaves and cage washers.
- Also operates equipment such as floor buffers, high-pressure washers, laundry equipment, and environmental monitoring equipment for cleaning/sanitizing purposes.
- Cleans/sanitizes/disinfects animal holding rooms, procedure rooms, support rooms.
- Ensures that all rooms within their assigned area are following strict SOP guidelines.
What You Should Know
This position may be required to work some evenings, holidays, and/or weekends.
What We Can Offer
- The salary range is $26,700-$35,000.
- In addition, we will reimburse the costs of your acquiring your AALAS Technician Certification, including Assistant Laboratory Animal Technician (ALAT), Laboratory Animal Technician (LAT), and Laboratory Animal Technologist (LATG). We’ll also pay the costs for you to attend professional meetings (such as the AALAS national meeting) as warranted.
The University of Colorado offers excellent benefits , including medical, dental, retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO Pass. The University of Colorado Boulder is one of the largest employers in Boulder County and offers an inspiring higher education environment. Learn more about the University of Colorado Boulder .
Be Engaged. Be Yourself. Be Boulder.
What We Require
- One year of experience caring for, feeding, or providing health care for animals in a veterinary, laboratory, breeding or boarding facility.
- College coursework in a field of study related to the work assignment may be substituted on a year-for-¬year basis.
- Must have a valid Colorado driver's license.
What You Will Need
- Ability to process information with high levels of accuracy and attention to detail.
- Ability to listen and accurately record information.
- Willingness to promote effective analysis to determine causes of problems and propose solutions.
- Ability to perform accurately in a detail-oriented environment.
- Ability and willingness to apply strict clinical standards, policies, and procedures.
- Exceptional oral and written communication skills.
- Knowledge of desktop applications and basic computer functions.
What We Would Like You To Have
- Experience with the following:
- Working in an animal research facility.
- Entering and manipulating data in a database.
- Managing inventory.
- Handling small rodents and animals.
- Dead animal carcasses.
- Movement of freight.
- Using a variety of cage wash equipment.
To apply, please submit the following materials:
- A current resume.
- A cover letter that specifically addresses how your background and experience align with the requirements, qualifications and responsibilities of the position.
You will not be asked to upload references at this time.
This position will close on April 11, 2021 .
Note: Application materials will not be accepted via email. For consideration, applications must be submitted through CU Boulder Jobs .
Posting Contact Information
Posting Contact Name: Boulder Campus Human Resources
Posting Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Boulder
- Health & Medicine Not specified Full Time jobs in Boulder
- Veterinary Sciences Not specified Full Time jobs in Boulder
- Science, Technology & Mathematics Not specified Full Time jobs in Boulder
- Agriculture & Animal Sciences Not specified Full Time jobs in Boulder