Senior Administrative Assistant (7357)
This incumbent serves as the primary point of contact for the SIS undergraduate advising office. This position answers first level inquiries about undergraduate advising issues and determines which issues need a more nuanced response from an advisor. With assistance of work-study employees, provides general administrative office support for the undergraduate advising office. This includes welcoming and assisting all visitors. The incumbent also handles forms and supply ordering, database entry, and filing.
- Reception & Scheduling: Answers phones, mail, electronic mail, and refers undergraduate office users to the correct staff and other resources to respond correctly and timely to users inquiries. Schedules appointments for students with academic advisors and maintains office calendar as needed. Processes confidential forms, and maintains data entry and filing system. Serves as receptionist for undergraduate advising office for current and prospective students, parents, faculty, and staff.
- General Office Support: Provides office support for the undergraduate advising office, including some word and data processing, sending mass emails, managing social media accounts, photocopying, and gathering supplies and materials. Oversees and manages the internship registration process throughout the semester, including reviewing all submitted forms; following up with students if additional information is needed; and liaising with faculty supervisors and the Career Center. Answers first level advising questions via phone, email, and in person.
- Other duties as assigned.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
- Full time
- Specialist A
Required Education and Experience
- High school diploma or equivalent
- 2-4 years of relevant experience in administrative work or customer service capacity
Preferred Education and Experience
- Associate's degree or equivalent
- Understanding of and interest in working in a higher education environment strongly preferred
- Interest in international issues and ability to explain the value of a liberal arts degree to students, prospective students, and parents a plus
- Previous experience in an advising office a plus
Additional Eligibility Qualifications
- Reliability, attention to detail, and demonstrated ability to prioritize effectively; proactive approach to problem solving
- Basic knowledge of using office equipment, phones, and typing
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, professional and cordial telephone manner,
- Word processing, and database experience
- Click here to learn about American University's unique benefit options.
Current American University Employees:
If you are a current full-time or part-time staff member at American University, please log intoAsuccessfulU through themyAU portal . Once in AsuccessfulU, please select the Careers tile which will take you to our internal career page.
For more information or assistance with the American University careers site, email email@example.com .
American University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action institution that operates in compliance with applicable laws and regulations. The university does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex (including pregnancy), age, sexual orientation, disability, marital status, personal appearance, gender identity and expression, family responsibilities, political affiliation, source of income, veteran status, an individual’s genetic information or any other bases under federal or local laws (collectively "Protected Bases") in its programs and activities.
Nearest Major Market: Washington DC
More searches like this
- Administrative Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.
- Academic Affairs Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.
- Other Academic Affairs Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.
- Business & Administrative Affairs Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.
- Business & Administrative Support Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.