Legal Education Advisor (16974)
The primary function of this position is to promote the academic excellence of American University Washington College of Law students, from matriculation through graduation. The Legal Education Advisor (LEA) provides all law students individualized advising on their academic progress and identifies and develops resources for academic and bar exam success. The LEA also will serve as the assigned advisor to Academic Warning students, which includes mandatory once per semester meetings. The LEA will provide strategic counseling and best practices for students to develop their academic skills and achievement both in law school and on the bar exam. The LEA will maintain an awareness of best practices for learning strategies, bar exam preparation, and provide students with feedback, resources, and advice about academic skills including the process of legal analysis, exam writing, and time management.
- Academic Development. Advise all law students on best practices for developing the necessary skills for academic and professional success. Evaluate student needs and provide resources for academic success. Develop individualized academic recovery plans for Academic Warning students. Create study plans and provide exam strategies to improve academic performance for all students. Conduct workshops to develop law students’ study skills, time management, critical thinking, and analytical skills.
- Bar Advising. Advise all law students on best practices for bar exam planning and success. Ensure law students are aware of bar exam requirements and other bar exam matters. Facilitate group and individual advising on bar exam preparation including, but not limited to, bar exam subject matter, format, scoring, bar exam testing strategies, selecting a bar exam jurisdiction, bar exam financial considerations, and bar preparation plans. Monitor and evaluate student progress during the bar preparation period. Advise students on best practices for completing bar preparation courses.
- Programming/Instruction. Develop and facilitate workshops and other educational programs designed to assist academic and bar exam success. Identify content and opportunities to collaborate with faculty, student groups, offices, and programs to address academic achievement and bar exam readiness.
- Professional Development. Participate in professional organizations related to law school academic and bar exam success. Keep abreast of best practices and resources for student learning and bar exam readiness.
- Other Tasks. Assist the Director and other team members with advising, programming, outreach, and engagement as directed. Work closely with team members to ensure consistent messaging under the guidance of the Director. Complete projects and assignments as tasked to assist with the overall goals of the office.
- May supervise student and/or administrative personnel.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
- Sr. Coordinator/Analyst B
- Some evening and weekend hours required.
Required Education and Experience
- Juris Doctor
- 1-3 years of relevant experience
Additional Eligibility Qualifications
- Must possess excellent interpersonal, organizational, and oral and written communication skills.
- Proficiency at project management, including, but not limited to, developing, planning, and implementing goals.
- Ability to maintain accurate records for consistent feedback.
- Ability to collect, interpret, and analyze data.
- Ability to work collaboratively with all members of the WCL community.
- Prior academic or bar support teaching experience – or suitable combination of one to three years of practice experience and adjunct teaching.
- Prior experience advising or mentoring law students and/or law graduates, preferably in the area of bar preparation or academic support.
- Click here to learn about American University's unique benefit options.
Current American University Employees:
If you are a current full-time or part-time staff member at American University, please log intoAsuccessfulU through themyAU portal . Once in AsuccessfulU, please select the Careers tile which will take you to our internal career page.
For more information or assistance with the American University careers site, email email@example.com .
American University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action institution that operates in compliance with applicable laws and regulations. The university does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex (including pregnancy), age, sexual orientation, disability, marital status, personal appearance, gender identity and expression, family responsibilities, political affiliation, source of income, veteran status, an individual’s genetic information or any other bases under federal or local laws (collectively "Protected Bases") in its programs and activities.
Nearest Major Market: Washington DC
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.
- Professional Fields Not specified Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.
- Law & Legal Studies Not specified Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.
- Academic Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.