Senior Administrative Assistant (16966)
The Senior Administrative Assistant supports the operations of the Janet R. Spragens Federal Tax Clinic and the Entrepreneurship Law Clinic. Both clinics are part of the Washington College of Law (WCL) Clinical Program.
- Provide administrative support to 4 faculty members in connection with course logistics and materials, collecting assignments, and other aspects of their teaching, research, law school committee, and community responsibilities.
- Answer questions from and provide administrative guidance to approximately 52 student attorneys who are representing low-income and traditionally under-represented clients in a variety of legal matters.
- Answer phones, distribute mail, open and close cases in the online case management system, etc.), and perform other general administrative tasks. Conduct conflict checks on new clients and personnel, ensure the confidentiality of case information and materials, and perform other law office-specific administrative tasks.
- Ensure that clients feel respected and welcome in the Clinic.
- Help to manage the clinic application process each spring by grouping and distributing applications to the relevant faculty members and entering data to assign students to the correct clinics.
- Other tasks and projects as necessary to ensure the Clinic’s smooth operations
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
- Full time
- Specialist A
Required Education and Experience
- H.S. Diploma - or equivalent education, training and experience
- 1-3 years of relevant experience
Preferred Education and Experience
- Associate's Degree - or equivalent education, training and experience
- 2-4 years of relevant experience
Additional Eligibility Qualifications
- Ability to exercise discretion, tact and diplomacy while interacting with students, faculty, university staff, management, internship employers and other stakeholders on confidential and/or sensitive matters.
- Ability to review ones own and others work and information to ensure completeness and accuracy; carefully prepare for meetings and presentations; organize information or materials for others; follow up with others to ensure that agreements and commitments have been fulfilled; set up procedures to ensure high quality of work.
- Oral Communication skills: Organizing and expressing thoughts and information orally in a clear, concise manner, meeting the requirements of the audience. Engages in active listening while seeking and accepting feedback in anon-defensive manner. Readily shares pertinent knowledge and information to co-workers and customers. Demonstrates effective listening skills and asks questions; offers input for positive results.
- Skill using email, word processing, spreadsheet/ data analysis and presentation development software applications such as Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint while preparing briefings, reports and presentations.
- Commitment and ability to maintain and exhibit the highest standards of ethical conduct.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including the ability to relate well to individuals from diverse backgrounds.
- Knowledge of or ability to learn general administrative procedures and systems.
- Flexibility and the willingness to seek creative solutions to customer challenges.
- Click here to learn about American University's unique benefit options.
Current American University Employees:
If you are a current full-time or part-time staff member at American University, please log intoAsuccessfulU through themyAU portal . Once in AsuccessfulU, please select the Careers tile which will take you to our internal career page.
For more information or assistance with the American University careers site, email email@example.com .
American University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action institution that operates in compliance with applicable laws and regulations. The university does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex (including pregnancy), age, sexual orientation, disability, marital status, personal appearance, gender identity and expression, family responsibilities, political affiliation, source of income, veteran status, an individual’s genetic information or any other bases under federal or local laws (collectively "Protected Bases") in its programs and activities.
Nearest Major Market: Washington DC
More searches like this
- Administrative Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.
- Academic Affairs Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.
- Academic Administration Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.
- Business & Administrative Affairs Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.
- Business & Administrative Support Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.