The Administrative Specialist oversees the day-to-day administrative operations of the Mathematics department. Supervises assigned support staff to fulfill administrative responsibilities of the department.
Florida Gulf Coast University is committed to establishing and maintaining an inclusive working and learning environment in which students, faculty, administrators, staff, curriculum, social activities, governance, and all other aspects of the campus life reflect a diverse, multi-cultural, and international worldview.
At FGCU, we collectively stand against any individual or group that practices any form of racism, discrimination, intolerance, hate expressions, or disrespect. We are committed to preparing students to understand, live among, appreciate, and work in an inherently diverse country and world made up of people with different ethnic and racial backgrounds, religious beliefs, abilities, ages, gender identities, sexual orientations, socio-economic status, cultural traditions, family statuses, and military backgrounds. FGCU strives to hire great people from a wide variety of backgrounds, not just because it’s the right thing to do, but because it makes our University stronger. The University community recognizes the importance of a diverse and inclusive institution and holds these ideals as paramount for the current and future success of the institution.
We seek colleagues who promote and embrace diversity, equity, and inclusion. We encourage individuals from diverse backgrounds to apply for this position as we believe that our University will grow and move forward through a commitment of equality for all.
Typical duties may include but are not limited to:
•Provides administrative support to include maintaining schedule/calendar, screening telephone communication, greeting and directing visitors, and dealing with administrative problems and inquiries.
•Completes transfers, reconciles expenditure transactions, maintains internal accounting records, and other transactional duties related to fiscal administration.
•Fulfills purchasing requirements for assigned area, researching items and obtaining price quotes, entering information into university systems, receiving purchase orders, maintaining P-Card information, and reconciling purchases.
•Establishes and maintains systems for administration of records for the area, including electronic files, records, and databases.
•Supports employment administration and human resources processes, serving as a point of contact with the central HR department. Administers appointment paperwork requirements for department employees. •Fulfills administrative requirements for employment searches within area of responsibility.
•Tracks and audits department leave records and employee time sheets.
•Prepares and approves payroll certifications. Reviews and reconciles payroll registers and updates pay distribution.
•Arranges and coordinates travel for department staff, faculty, and incoming guests and speakers.
•Composes and prepares written documents and correspondence for the office, including memos, letters, presentations, and spreadsheets.
•Prepares special spreadsheet reports and presentations as needed. May prepare brochures or update department web site content.
•Provides transactional maintenance of funds and accounts for a unit or department.
•Performs other job-related duties as assigned.
Additional Job Description
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Four years of relevant full-time administrative support experience.
- Any appropriate combination of relevant education, experience, and/or certifications may be considered.
- Experience operating a personal computer and proficient with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Access, and Outlook).
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution in an appropriate area of specialization.
- Work experience in a higher education setting.
- Experience with Ellucian Banner, Cognos, and Gulfline.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Knowledge of general office procedures.
- Knowledge of generally accepted accounting procedures and principles.
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong organizational skills and an ability to prioritize and complete simultaneous projects when numerous and diverse demands are involved.
- Ability to operate personal computers with proficiency and learn new applications and systems.
- Ability to accurately prepare and maintain records, files, and reports.
- Ability to work successfully as both a member of a team and independently with minimal supervision.
- Ability to interact in a professional manner with a diverse group of staff, faculty, students, and the community in a service-oriented environment.
- Ability to think critically and creatively, have a high standard of integrity, and be motivated to incorporate best practices into the organizational structure.
- Ability to effectively manage the work of others by providing information, guidance and motivation.
- Ability to interpret and apply laws, regulations, policies and procedures consistently.
- Ability to analyze and solve problems, draw valid conclusions, and/or develop appropriate alternatives where applicable.
- Ability to thrive in an organization that values the diversity of its student body and workforce and actively promotes equity and inclusion.
The posting for this position will close on Friday April 16, 2021.
FGCU is an EOE AA /F/Vet/Disability Employer.