Director, CLC Concert Band
Posting Number F00665 Position Title Director, CLC Concert Band Internal Position Title Adjunct Faculty, Director, Concert Band Department CommArts/Hum/Fine Arts Div Position Type Part-Time Faculty Job Family Adjunct Faculty Job Summary
The Department of Music at the College of Lake County is searching for a creative and collaborative individual to serve as Concert Band Director. This is an Adjunct Instructor position to begin Fall 2021.
The College of Lake County ( CLC ) is a comprehensive community college located in northeastern Illinois committed to being an innovative educational institution providing life-changing paths for our students by offering exceptional learning experiences.
The college is widely recognized for student success, business and community partnerships and for the achievements of our faculty, staff and alumni. Long-known as an employer of choice in Lake County, CLC was ranked #15 on the Forbes list of Top 100 Employers in the State of Illinois for 2019.
• Bachelor’s degree in music, minimum of three years band directing experience at the secondary school level (including previous concert band conducting experience.)
• Master’s degree in music with a demonstrated record of success in instrumental conducting and teaching (secondary, post-secondary, community, or professional)
Further Desirable Traits:
• Commitment and energy in developing a high impact recruiting plan to attract and maintain talented instrumental music majors as well as non-majors and community members
• Work closely with the Director of Bands ( DOB ) to build and maintain strong relationships with local, state, and regional band directors
• Energy, musical artistry, vision, and commitment to develop strong instrumental ensembles
• Demonstrated interpersonal and innovative teaching skills
• Ability to work independently and collaboratively with faculty and students
• Knowledge of current issues in music education
Posting Date 04/02/2021 Closing Date 08/06/2021 Expected Start Date 08/23/2021 Special Instructions Summary
This posting will be used to obtain a pool of qualified candidates. As teaching needs arise, applications will be reviewed for possible interviews. The number of adjunct faculty hired varies from semester to semester, depending upon the needs of the department. Adjunct faculty hires and assignments are coordinated by the department chairs.
Applications will be accepted on an ongoing basis. Your application can remain under consideration for the academic year. You may check your status at any time by logging into email@example.com with your username and password. Thanks for being patient with the adjunct faculty hiring process.
Pay Rate Per Adjunct Contract Full-Time/Part-Time Part-Time Location Grayslake Total Hours per week 2 load hours Work Schedule
Current rehearsals: Wednesdays, 7:30-9:00 PM
The College of Lake County is an equal opportunity employer and has a strong commitment to diversity. In that spirit, it seeks a broad spectrum of candidates including minorities, women and people with disabilities. EOE /AA/M/F/D/V
Software Testing Required None Interview Process Requirements None Summary of Essential Functions
• Direct and provide leadership of CLC Concert Band, an ensemble that currently has between 65-80 musicians (a combination of music majors, music minors, and community members)
– Score preparation and rehearsal planning for one weekly rehearsal, 1 ½ hours in length
– Selection of music appropriate to the skill level of the ensemble
– Maintenance of musician folders and music library
– Preparation, editing and timely submission of concert playbill information
– Conduct two concerts annually (one per semester)
• Teach courses in subject field. Develop instructional materials. Assess student learning and assign grades. Attend required Adjunct meetings in the Fall and Spring semesters. Participate in college governance and other aspects of academic life. Maintain current knowledge of subject matter.
• Adjunct Faculty members are expected to maintain current in compliance training, including compliance under Title IX “Responsible Employee” and, if applicable, Clery Act Campus Security Authority.
• Select, prepare and maintain current curriculum, course outlines and printed and non-printed instructional materials.
• Teach courses as scheduled each academic semester.
• Provide instructional support to the students. Refer students, when appropriate, to sources of specialized services within the College.
• Provide the Division and the students a syllabus that includes course objectives and learning outcomes, attendance policies in line with those of the college, texts and readings, timelines and evaluation criteria, and any other information required by College, Division, or departmental policy.
• Observe and evaluate student performance in meeting course objectives and learning outcomes through assignments, projects, discussions or examinations. Provide feedback in a timely manner on student progress.
• Deliver course content using a variety of teaching styles.
• Maintain office/discipline/grade/division records as required by the College.
• Be available for student consultation through phone or email.
• Use the appropriate College policies and procedures to resolve and document student complaints, concerns and problems.
• Assist in developing and administering discipline-appropriate measures of student academic achievement, use departmental testing instruments as provided. Administer other instruments designed to measure student learning outcomes as requested and required by the department. Provide all results as requested.
• Conduct all classes in accordance with an established and current course syllabus and approved textbooks (and/or related instructional material). Meet all classes for the scheduled time.
• Submit all grades (mid/final) electronically prior to the required deadlines. Provide the
• Registrar appropriate grade records.
• Encourage students to submit course evaluations, review course evaluations when available and use feedback to improve course delivery.
• Revise and update course content as needed.
• Participate, when appropriate, in the formation and meetings of program advisory boards, college, division, and department committees.
• Maintain a high level of professional ethics.
• Perform other duties as assigned by the Dean or Associate Dean.
• POSITIONS SUPERVISED : None
Posting Specific Questions - supplemental questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Do you have a Bachelor's Degree in Music?
- * Do you have a minimum of three years band directing
experience at the secondary school level (including previous
concert band conducting experience)?
- * Do you have a Master’s degree in Music with a demonstrated
record of success in instrumental conducting and teaching
(secondary, post-secondary, community, or professional)?
- Cover Letter
- Unofficial Transcript 1
- Unofficial Transcript 2