Medical Program Assistant
Working Title: Medical Program Assistant Official Title: Medical Program Assistant - Associate Employment Class: University Staff FTE: .9 Compensation: $16.04 hourly FLSA Status: Non-exempt Terms of Employment: Continuous Position Summary: The person in this position serves as a key support for the health care team and works in collaboration with the staff providing administrative/clerical duties. Candidate should possess strong attention to detail and high language, reasoning, and critical thinking abilities. Independent decision making abilities are required to identify problems and implement solutions with limited supervision. Must be able to exercise sound judgement and discretion in a variety of complex situations, function well in a fast-paced environment, and be able to work on and prioritize many tasks simultaneously while responding in a compassionate, calm manner to meet the needs of patients, co-workers, and others. Responsibilities
A. Medical Reception and Appointment Scheduling: (65%)
1. Schedules patients per set scheduling guidelines to ensure optimal patient care
2. Checks in patients and interprets SHC policies for students, faculty, staff, and visitors regarding fees, no shows, check-in times, etc.
3. Responds to general inquiries regarding services, hours, patient care, and patient billing.
4. Instructs patients on how to complete electronic patient forms via web portal.
5. Completes opening and closing procedures for the front office.
6. Determines eligibility for service, obtains and verifies identity, and other pertinent records utilizing EMR and explains payment options to patients.
7. Monitors reception and patient waiting area to assess the safety of patients and maintain an appropriate atmosphere.
8. Answers telephones and assists walk-in patients requesting care. Notifies health care professionals of possible emergencies on telephone or in waiting room.
9. Responds quickly and appropriately to emergency situations and participates in scheduled drills according to established policies and procedures.
10. Provide work direction to other employees as front desk coverage is needed.
B. Medical Record Duties (20%)
1. Maintain confidentiality and HIPAA compliance for all health records and related correspondence and/or communication. Monitors state and federal mandates regarding medical record confidentiality, reporting requirements and procedures for release of information and revises operational standards as needed.
2. Follow statutory guidelines and other regulations to independently evaluate and respond appropriately to requests from individuals, families, legal representatives, insurance companies, healthcare providers or government agencies for the release of patient health information.
3. Manually checks enrollment in Student Information System if not automatically populated in the EMR.
4. Collaborate with EMR vendor as needed.
5. Labels Patient Alerts in the EMR as individual circumstances require.
6. Provides training and direction to health care staff regarding confidentiality requirements.
C. Billing & Financial Recordkeeping Duties: (10%)
1. Working knowledge of the EMR to perform billing and cashiering for patients.
2. Invoices charges on patient visit encounters within the EMR Billing Workplace, and responds to questions regarding patient accounts.
3. Creates group appointments and bursar charges for special events such as flu clinics or sports physicals, etc.
4. Assist with WI Medicaid Family Planning Only Services (FPOS) including student application process, billing and reimbursement. Submits and verifies the accuracy of these claims.
5. Counts cash and reconciles cash/checks and Titan Card dollar with EMR reports. Processes daily payments as needed, corrects billing and coding errors. Completes applicable deposit forms and deposit as needed.
6. Verifies accuracy of Bursar reports from the UWO Student Financials Department and the EMR Bursar report.
D. Miscellaneous Duties (5%)
1. Perform other clerical duties as requested.
2. Reports adverse incidents.
3. Serves on Student Health Center Committees as assigned.
4. Supports the Division of Student Affairs Strategic Priorities, mission of the University of Wisconsin Oshkosh, and Student Health departmental core competencies.
5. Actively engages and participates in student programming, campus events and inclusive excellence goals.
6. Attends meetings, in-services, job related seminars, and other continuing education classes.
7. Willingness to represent Student Health at campus sponsored events during regularly scheduled hours, which may include brief presentations and/or public speaking.
8. Other duties as assigned.
• At least one year of employment in a medical facility
• Working knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, internet, electronic mail, and EMR software.
• Knowledge of medical terminology, administrative rules and regulations concerning the confidentiality of health care information, and medical ethics.
• Demonstrated strong interpersonal skills as well as verbal and written communications abilities with careful attention to detail and accuracy.
• Demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
• Current CPR certification or the ability to obtain within 1 month of hire.
• High school diploma or equivalent.
Preferred: • At least three years employment in a clinic setting.
• Knowledge of a complex, interactive information system such as PeopleSoft Student Information system.
• Experience with billing and financial account reconciliation. To Apply:
Applicants must submit the following documents using the online application:
Resume, cover letter, and 3 professional references.
For questions regarding your application and additional options to apply, contact Human Resources at email@example.com or 920-424-1166.
The University of Wisconsin System is engaged in a Title and Total Compensation (TTC) project to redesign job titles and compensation structures. As a result of the TTC project, official job titles on current job postings may change in 2021. Job duties and responsibilities will remain the same. For more information please visit: wisconsin.edu/ohrwd/title-and-total-compensation-study/ .
TO ENSURE CONSIDERATION: Applications received by April 18, 2021 are ensured full consideration. Applications received after that date may be given consideration at the discretion of the search committee. Application materials will be evaluated and the most qualified applicants will be invited to participate in the next step of the selection process. Incomplete and/or late application materials may not receive consideration.
If you have questions regarding this recruitment, or if you are not able to complete the application online due to a disability or system problem, please contact the Office of Human Resources.
The University of Wisconsin Oshkosh (UWO) is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to assembling a diverse, broadly trained faculty and staff. We strongly encourage women, minorities, people with disabilities and veterans to apply. UWO, in compliance with applicable laws and in furtherance of its commitment to fostering an environment that welcomes and embraces diversity, does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, disability, or protected veteran status.
Diversity drives innovation, creativity, and progress. At the University of Wisconsin Oshkosh, the culture, identities, life experiences, unique abilities, and talents of every individual contribute to the foundation of our success. Creating and maintaining an inclusive and equitable environment is of paramount importance to us. This pursuit prepares all of us to be global citizens who will contribute to the betterment of the world. We are committed to a university culture that provides everyone with the opportunity to thrive.
UWO provides reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities who are employees or applicants for employment. Employment opportunities will not be denied because of the need to make reasonable accommodations for a qualified individual with a disability. If you need assistance or accommodation in applying because of a disability, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 920-424-1166. This job announcement and other material on this site will be made available in alternate formats upon request to an individual with a disability.
Confidentiality of Applicant Materials
UWO is a State agency and subject to Wisconsin's Open Records Law. UWO will not, however, reveal the identities of applicants who request confidentiality in writing except as may be required by Wisconsin's Open Records law. In certain circumstances, the identities of "final candidates" and/or the identity of the appointed applicant must be revealed upon request.
CBC & Reference Check Policy
All candidates for employment are subject to a pre-employment screening which includes a criminal background check, work authorization, and verification of education. It will also require you and your references to answer questions regarding sexual violence and sexual harassment.
The University of Wisconsin Oshkosh does not offer H-1B or other work authorization visa sponsorship for this position. Candidates must be legally authorized to work in the United States at the time of hire and maintain work authorization throughout the employment term.
Annual Security and Fire Safety Report (Clery Act)
For the UWO Annual Security and Fire Safety Reports (i.e., Clery Report), which includes statistics about reported crimes and information about campus security policies, see https://uwosh.edu/police/ , or call UWO Police Department, at (920) 424-1212 for a paper copy.