PEER SUPPORT SPECIALIST
PEER SUPPORT SPECIALIST
Posting Number: SRGV4974
Number of Vacancies: 1
Location: Harlingen, Texas
Department: School of Medicine / Psychiatry
Scope of Job:
To assist in guiding clients towards the identification and achievement of specific goals to aid in their recovery process, by leading recovery groups, mentoring and setting goals, sharing resources and building skills; advocating for persons in recovery, teaching residents and students and faculty about recovery tools, assisting in research and QI related to recovery work and teaching.
Description of Duties:
• Provides teaching to residents, medical students and staff on recovery approach and all phases of recovery. Meets individually with patients to discuss and listen about their mental health progress.
• Consults with clients to assess their needs: what they struggle with and what they want to accomplish. Uses collected information to help his or her clients set goals. Develops plans accordingly to aid with recovery.
• Provide guidance and encouragement to clients to actively participate in their own recovery.
• Carries a case load of clients at a time, as participants in either group or one-on-one sessions.
• Assists in quality improvement projects related to outcomes of clients with mental health issues.
• Participates in clinical planning and clinical leadership meetings.
• Assists the department in developing recovery based best practices at all levels.
• Provides input on research related work in the department to ensure recovery approach is being utilized.
• Organizes and runs library of materials (electronic and hard copy) related to recovery for UTRGV faculty, students and staff.
• Reviews program records and reports of activities and recommends modifications to methods or procedures as required.
• Assists in dissemination of recovery training at the state level using American Psychiatric Association training materials and other methods to be developed
• Provides services and training; maintains logs, reports and records of clients.
• Initiates, develops and sustains strong positive relations with stakeholders to ensure achievement of the mission and goals of the program.
• Administering programs and agencies education the public; providing education to service clients on every phase of their recovery.
• Serves as liaison, develops, cultivates, and maintains working relationships with internal/external departments/agencies and other organizations associated with and/or receiving benefit from the program.
• Bills Medicaid and handles corresponding billing documentation.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
General supervision from assigned supervisor.
Direct supervision of assigned staff.
High School diploma or General Equivalency Diploma.
Mental Health Peer Specialist (MGPS) or Recovery Support Peer Specialist (RSPS) training and certification.
No experience required.
Use of standard office equipment.
Needs to be able to successfully perform all required duties. Office Environment; some travel and weekend work is required. Exerting up to 20 pounds of force frequently, and/or a negligible amount of force constantly to move objects. UTRGV is a distributed institution, which requires presence at multiple locations throughout the Rio Grande Valley. Work is performed primarily in a general office environment across the Rio Grande Valley.
Ability to establish rapport with patients and staff from different ethnic, cultural, and economic backgrounds. Ability to exercise sound judgment when interacting with mentally ill patients.
Employment Category: Full-Time
Minimum Salary: Commensurate with Experience
Posted Salary: Commensurate with Experience
Position Available Date: 04/12/2021
Grant Funded Position: Yes
If Yes, Provide Grant Expiration Date: 08/31/2022
It is the policy of The University of Texas Rio Grande Valley to promote and ensure equal employment opportunities for all individuals without regard to race, color, national origin, sex, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information or protected veteran status. In accordance with the requirements of Title VII of the civil rights act of 1964, the title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, as amended, our University is committed to comply with all government requirements and ensures non discrimination in it’s education programs and activities, including employment.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Human Resources will not be held responsible for redacting any confidential information from the documents you attach with your application. The confidential information includes the following:
*Date of Birth
*Social Security Number
Please make sure that you omit this information prior to submission. We are advising that Human Resources will be forwarding your application to the department as per your submission.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us at (956)665-8880 and/or firstname.lastname@example.org.
UTRGV is a distributed location institution and working location is subject to change based on need.
All UTRGV employees are required to have a criminal background check (CBC). Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Substitutions to the above requirements must have prior approval from the Chief Human Resources Officer.
To apply, visit https://careers.utrgv.edu/postings/27884